Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Apologetic discussions

Apologetic discussions Apologetic Discussions Regarding the Teachings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
countmeworthy

Default Open/Honest discussion on Speaking/Praying in 'Tongues'

Hi all,
As members or former members of the LC, we were not persuaded to 'speak in tongues'. Some here who were Christians before hooking up with the LC came from 'tongue speaking/praying' denominations.

What I need is people's input and experience of 'praying/speaking' in tongues. I don't need scriptures for or against as much as I need people's experiences of experiencing praying in 'tongues' before, during or after the LC life.

It is very important to me because I am often around people who are strong advocates of 'tongue speaking'. They firmily believe [based on their pastor's teachings who of course quotes the scriptures] to enforce the importance of praying in tongues. I do not bring up the subject. They do.

Many claim a person is not filled with the Holy Spirit unless they pray in tongues. Many also believe one is not truly 'baptized in the Holy Spirit unless there is the evidence of 'speaking in tongues'. I disagree with them and tell them so. That is when all hell breaks lose!

Never mind most of the people I know who advocate speaking/praying in tongues don't know how to search the scriptures. Do not know the Power of the Blood of Jesus through personal and genuine experience. Few I know who are dogmatic about speaking/praying in tongues have led people to Christ.

By FAITH, I on occasion pray in tongues believing the Holy Spirit is praying through me. Those times are the times I do not know how to pray for a specific need, be it for myself or someone else.

I get bashed a lot because I am not an advocate of praying/speaking in tongues. I do not think people are stronger believers if they pray/speak in tongues of if they do not.

Imho, what makes us strong believers is our surrender to the Word of God, Jesus our Lord, addressing HIM when we speak (but not necessarily 'calling on the Lord' as we did in the LC.)

My personal experience that has made me a 'stronger' believer/follower in Christ is my relationship with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, my prayer life which is 90% praying the Word of God back to the Lord, building up the Body of Christ as the Spirit leads and leading people to Christ again as the Spirit of God leads. I study topics prayerfully so I can be prepared to answer every person as we are encouraged to do in Colossians 4:5-6.

I find often times people (believers) respect and are amazed at how I share the Word uplifting them.

BUT... if I casually mention speaking/praying in tongues is not a big deal...oh boy. I will get lambasted for it. Same thing when I am asked 'what church' I belong to. Oh boy. After they have been so thankful for how I uplifted them, I will get a lecture for not attending 'church' regularly. "You need to find a 'home church'" I am told. Never mind they can't tell me what they're favorite scripture is.

So... my question is
Quote:
do YOU pray/speak in tongues?

Why / why not?

What is your experience around those that do?
I assume most people who have left the LC and are on this forum do not pray in tongues because they never did while in the LC. If that is the reason you do not pray/speak, that is ok.

I really want to hear from those who DO pray/speak in tongues before/during/after the LC life. ...What your thoughts are. I need suggestions, advise and counsel. Thanks friends.

Blessings and Peace,
Carol G
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote