Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Introductions and Testimonies

Introductions and Testimonies Please tell everybody something about yourself. Tell us a little. Tell us a lot. Its up to you!

Old 03-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #1
intenebrislux

Default How to resist the pressure?

It's my first time posting here, so please bear with me...
I'm what's know as a "church kid" from Europe, a student who has in the past year begun questioning many of the LC practices and views. I stopped coming to meetings in September and keep in touch with very few of the "saints". Recently I've been getting calls and texts from concerned ones, inviting me over and asking how I'm doing, etc. And it's not even people I was close to, they just talk at me (not to me, it's not a conversation, its a monologue) about what they're enjoying and wether I'd like to come over...

Anyway, I don't want to talk to them about why I left, and, without being extremely rude, I really want them to leave me alone. Any tips/pointers will be very welcome.
Thanks.
intenebrislux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
Cal

Default Re: How to resist the pressure?

Be confident in what you feel to do. There is no need to be rude, but be firm.

The way these types of groups operate is they work on your insecurity. Check whether it seems they are truly concerned about YOU, or just whether you are to them just another number that needs to be in their collection.

If someone there really cared about you, he/she would be willing to spend time with you, ask what's going on in your life and just be a friend.

If someone gets with you and right away starts questioning why you aren't with them anymore, you can be sure that one of two things are true: (1) they have no idea how to shepherd, or (2) they don't really care about you as a person.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
A little brother

Welcome intenebrislux. I think Igzy is right. Be confident in what you feel to do. There is no need to be rude, but be firm. Don't worry too much. I don't think the "concerned ones" would really persist long.

If someone there really cares about you, he/she should be more willing to listen to your concerns than simply tell you their answer. It seems to me quite a number of seasoned LC members have all the "answers" ready in their mind that they don't really listen carefully what the other's concerns are. So "fellowship" easily becomes the monologue you mentioned. They do the talking most of the time.

However, when you want them to leave you alone, please don't be alone yourself. Firstly, I am quite sure the Lord is with you. Secondly, I would suggest to seek fellowship with other Christians - whether from the LC or other churches.

I myself chose to stay in the LC and also have fellowship with some other Christian groups. I don't have to totally agree with others in the LC and neither do they. I voice out my concerns carefully from time to time hoping it may eventually reach the mind of some brothers and sisters. To me, oneness is not unformity. It is more about how Christ becomes the peace between members of the body.
A little brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by A little brother View Post
To me, oneness is not unformity. It is more about how Christ becomes the peace between members of the body.
I nominate this for quote of the day.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #5
Steel
Moderated Member

Quote:
However, when you want them to leave you alone, please don't be alone yourself. Firstly, I am quite sure the Lord is with you. Secondly, I would suggest to seek fellowship with other Christians - whether from the LC or other churches.
Excellent speaking.

Quote:
I myself chose to stay in the LC and also have fellowship with some other Christian groups.
As it should be.

Quote:
I don't have to totally agree with others in the LC and neither do they. I voice out my concerns carefully from time to time hoping it may eventually reach the mind of some brothers and sisters.
Again... As it should be... And yet... Perhaps there is no need to extend our thoughts into "...hoping it may eventually reach the mind of some brothers and sisters..." as in doing so we may open a door for our vanity... Better we just trust the Lord that we are speaking in Him, and even speaking Him, as life that others can choose to receive, or not receive, according to the measure of grace the Lord has given each of us to do so.

I was certainly one who spoke with the "...hope..." that others would listen. Now, I simply speak believing that what I speak is life to others, and that the Lord has already prepared whoever is hearing my speaking, to receive it as life... Beyond that, I don't want to have any further opinion about the matter... And no, not that I don't, but I now don't want to. Hopefully one day I won't.

Quote:
To me, oneness is not unformity. It is more about how Christ becomes the peace between members of the body.
Well... Peace between the members of the body is certainly an aspect of the outworking of Christ within the body of believers... But scripture tells us that this peace is an expression of what Paul speaks to in the following scripture verses...

Philippians 4:8-9... "Finally, brothers, what things are true, what things are dignified, what things are righteous, what things are pure, what things are lovely, what things are well spoken of, if there is any virtue and if any praise, take account of these things... The things which you have also learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things; and the God of peace will be with you."

See that...

"...what things are true, what things are dignified, what things are righteous, what things are pure, what things are lovely, what things are well spoken of, if there is any virtue and if any praise,..."

Paul tells us that we need to... "...take account of these things... The things which you have also learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things;..."

Then... And only then... According to Paul's speaking... "...the God of peace will be with you."

Therefore... The questions we each need to find answers for are... What things are true, what things are dignified, what things are righteous, what things are pure, what things are lovely, what things are well spoken of... Summed up as that which has virtue and is praise worthy.

And then... "...take account of these things... The things which you have also learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things;..."

So that... "...the God of peace will be with [us]."

Now... When we find the answers to these questions... Will there be some sort of uniformity to these answers realized across all the members of the Lord's body?

The reality of this is revealed by Paul in Ephesians chapter four.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
intenebrislux

Thank you for the replies, I have many things to think over now .
intenebrislux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenebrislux View Post
It's my first time posting here, so please bear with me...
I'm what's known as a "church kid" from Europe, a student who has in the past year begun questioning many of the LC practices and views. I stopped coming to meetings in September and keep in touch with very few of the "saints". Recently I've been getting calls and texts from concerned ones, inviting me over and asking how I'm doing, etc. And it's not even people I was close to, they just talk at me (not to me, it's not a conversation, its a monologue) about what they're enjoying and wether I'd like to come over...

Anyway, I don't want to talk to them about why I left, and, without being extremely rude, I really want them to leave me alone. Any tips/pointers will be very welcome.
Thanks.
I know you don't want to talk about it, but just rip the sticky plaster off and get it over with. Its not fun but it'll do the trick.

When I left last year I posted a big rant on Facebook saying why the local church has been such an unhealthy part of my life and why I no longer want anything to do with it. While at the time it stirred up a lot of conversations, like throwing a rock at a hornet's nest, it did a good job at getting the word out there that I was officially **out**. It mopped up most of the 'concerned ones' in one go and I only have a few stragglers every now and again. If you haven't already done that I definitely recommend it.

If anyone wants to read the FB post PM me and I'll send you the link.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #8
kumbaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
I know you don't want to talk about it, but just rip the sticky plaster off and get it over with. Its not fun but it'll do the trick.

When I left last year I posted a big rant on Facebook saying why the local church has been such an unhealthy part of my life and why I no longer want anything to do with it. While at the time it stirred up a lot of conversations, like throwing a rock at a hornet's nest, it did a good job at getting the word out there that I was officially **out**. It mopped up most of the 'concerned ones' in one go and I only have a few stragglers every now and again. If you haven't already done that I definitely recommend it.

If anyone wants to read the FB post PM me and I'll send you the link.
I want to read it! I think I need to do the same!!
kumbaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by A little brother
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron
I nominate this for quote of the day.
I was booted for testimonies just like that.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:27 AM   #10
aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenebrislux View Post
I'm a "church kid" .. who has in the past year begun questioning many of the LC practices and views. I stopped coming to meetings and keep in touch with very few of the "saints". Recently I've been getting calls and texts from concerned ones, inviting me over and asking how I'm doing ...I don't want to talk to them about why I left, and, without being extremely rude, I really want them to leave me alone. Any tips/pointers will be very welcome.
This is probably a common situation: a young person with concerns/issues and wants to make space between themselves and this group. Understandable on many levels, and worth addressing.

But in order to answer the request for tips/pointers, one must make several assumptions, which should probably be made explicit.

1. Do you believe in the existence of God, or some otherwise-designated "higher power" that rules the universe?

2. Do you believe that this God is accessed through faith in Jesus, the Jewish Messiah (Christ), whom God so designated by the resurrection from among the dead?

3. Has this in some way been impressed on your consciousness by an otherworldly 'presence' whom we shall for the sake of this discussion call 'the holy spirit'?

If "yes" to the above, your separation from said group is different than if "no". And here's why: at the time, I was as 'sold out' as could be, and yet one day, the small voice within said, "go". I was flabbergasted. I was LC 24/7, 365. I was all in. But the voice said, "go", so I left, moving from an LC group house into a homeless shelter. At the time, I had no idea what was happening. This was pre-internet, and I'd never heard about Daystar or Philip Lee; never dreamed of being a critic, which was anathama. But I knew "the voice".

Do you see my point? At it's core, at the center of it all, is the question: Can you hear that voice? If you can, then listen to it. If not, then find it.

With God, there's always an open door. But in order to pass through the door, one must first hear the voice. ~Rev 4:1

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me" (NIV)
Old 11-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
awareness

Brother intenebrislux be like me. If you really want to get rid of them, speak out publicly against Witness Lee, and in your case the Blenders, and they'll brand you a serpent to stay away from. Then should you encounter them, they'll turn their backs on you, and walk the other way. And you thought being a serpent was a bad thing. Silly you.