Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Fellowship Hall

Fellowship Hall Talk it over here. Also for prayer requests

Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
countmeworthy

Default John 10:10

Hey guys !

I may be taking a BREATHER from the other board for a while. I know this board has been slow for a while but I wouldn't mind perking it up a bit with some good fellowship.

So.....speaking of John 10. A few years ago, I received some insight onto John 10:10. That was one of the first scriptures I learned in the LC. Now...MAYBE I am wrong..and was out of the loop but for the many or few years I was there, I only looked at that scripture pertaining to eternal life vs eternal damnation. Jesus came that we would have (Eternal Life) while the thief, who came to steal, kill and destroy had it in for us to perish in eternal damnation.

Several years I go, I realized that the Lord JESUS while infact came we would have LIFE and have it more abundantly, spirtually, it also meant He came that we would prosper and be in good health.

In Psalm 35:27 we read Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant. And in 3 John 1:2 we read Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

I know the 'prosperity' gospel has gotten wind of 3 John in particular but truth be told, what king lives in poverty ? Are we not positioned to be co-heirs with Christ ? Are we not kings and priests of the Most High God.

Now...that said, while I certainly want to be completely debt free and completely healthy, in spirit, soul and in body, while on this earth, I don't want the headaches that come with being a Bill Gates, a Donald Trump or a Tiger Woods!

Any other thoughts on John 10:10 ?
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
YP0534

Default Re: John 10:10

I'm more persuaded by a straight reading of 1 Tim. 6:6-8 than the interpretive reading of "being a king" I've heard about all these years.

Jesus was born in poverty on this earth and I don't see anyone "prospering" materially in the New Testament.

But I might have missed something?
Let each walk as the Lord has distributed to each, as God has called each, and in this manner I instruct all the assemblies. 1 Cor. 7:17
YP0534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
OBW

CMW,

I think that this is a verse with a troublesome word included. That word is “life.” We have had discussions in the past about the three (primary) words for life and somehow concluded that “zoe” was simply God’s life. Or at least that’s what Lee taught and we all have tended to return to it.

But when I looked into the full meaning of “zoe” in a Greek dictionary, it becomes evident that while it might reasonably be said that the fullness of this kind of life is only truly known when experienced through Christ, the word actually means everything about life, from the physical and mental/emotional to the way in which it is lived out.

But to have that kind of life “to the full” does not necessarily mean have everything you want or have the best or the most. It is also about fulfillment, joy, peace, contentment and so many other things. I truly believe that those who teach that you should have the best, be healthy, prosperous, etc., are setting people up for misery. If you measure your “zoe” by how healthy you are, then you will be disappointed. If you measure your “zoe” by your bank account, size of house, prestige of your job, or any other thing that might be used to measure prosperity, then you will be disappointed. Your failure will be blamed on yourself if you think you have not worked hard enough or have not had enough faith, or on God if you think you have.

But an abundant life is not necessarily prosperous in earthly terms. Neither is it the picture of bodily health. It is a life that is lived forward, for God, with gusto, and within its bounds. Once you put a value judgment on it, like prosperous or healthy, you condemn those who die of cancer, or those who spend their life in poverty. That is soooo contrary to the very teachings of Christ.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
countmeworthy

Just so you know, I TOTALLY understand the world's prosperity is not the KING'S prosperity. I GET IT !! Believe me I GET IT!! I am the one who had to go on SS Disability and work disability because my body is afflicted with Rheumatoid Arthritis from my neck down to the soles of my feet. My LIFE IN CHRIST has NOT been easy whatsoever.

Yet I am FULL of the JOY of the LORD !

St. Paul had a thorn in his side for most of his ministry. He suffered hardships I don't think any of us ever have and was USED mightily by GOD.

I totally get Jesus was not born on this earth RICH as in the world's difinition.

Yet He walked on water, commanded the 'hurricane' winds to stop, raised the dead, healed the sick, DIED and RESURRECTED. Bill Gates, The Donald and many of the properity preachers do not hold a candle to our LORD JESUS.

Nevertheless, we believers can be an AWESOME BLESSING to the Kingdom of GOD for the sake of the gospel if we have some $$ in our pockets. I HATE that people BEG for $$$ be it preachers, charities or a homeless person.

The FULLNESS of GOD is in us and the LORD desires we be RICHLY BLESSED IN ALL THINGS...Spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically and financially.

My physical limitations have been mightily used by GOD to HIS GLORY, HONOR and PRAISE.

Sometimes when I hear people get healed, miraculously, while I praise the LORD for it, I PRAY the people will surrender their ALL and live unto the LORD a sanctified, purified LIFE in CHRIST JESUS by the Power of the Holy Spirit working in them.

I sometimes wonder if many of these people who have been healed will live an ungodly life after the excitement wears off.

I want to be debt free but not only MEEEE. I pray ALL of the saints, my brothers and sisters in Christ will be financially DEBT FREE TODAY to the GLORY and PRAISE of our LORD.

I don't want to live in poverty or be poor. I don't believe that tithings and offerings bring us financial wealth. It might if GOD tells us to give for it shall be given back to us 100 fold. BUT we must be very clear it is GOD, the Holy Spirit speaking to us and not some whamsy-mamsy name it and claim it preacher.

I am not limiting my/our GOD from blessing me to be financially prosperous. If we delight in HIM as Psalm 37:4 tells us to, HIS PROMISE TO US is to grant us the desire of our hearts. Read it for yourself !Most of us know we are to have pure and spotless hearts cleansed in the Blood of the Lamb. So whatsoever we ask IN HIS NAME, to Glorify the KINGDOM of GOD, He will grant it to us according to HIS WORD.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote