Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Fellowship Hall

Fellowship Hall Talk it over here. Also for prayer requests

Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
TLFisher

Default Leviticus 5:1

'Now if a person sins after he hears a public adjuration to testify when he is a witness, whether he has seen or otherwise known, if he does not tell it, then he will bear his guilt. Leviticus 5:1

This verse goes hand in hand with the sin of omission.

THE SIN OF COMMISSION AND OMISSION
Source: http://www.aconqueringfaith.net/2007...ommission.html

There are many specific ways of sinning. These all fall generally under two ways; the sins of commission and the sins of omission. All sins fall under one or the other.

The first, sins of commission, is a category of sin describing the things we did and shouldn't have. I committed (commission) a sin when I lied and I shouldn't have.

The second, sins of omission, are the category that encompasses the sins of not doing what we should have. We don't think as much about the sin of omission even though it is as pernicious and destructive as anything we could commit. I should have testified because I knew he was innocent, but I didn't out of fear. When we know the right thing to do and don't, that's a sin.

Solomon said, "Deliver those who are being taken away to death, And those who are staggering to slaughter, Oh hold them back" Pro. 24:11. Sin is not just something we do, but sometimes it is something that we ought to have done.

Often we do what God has forbidden. We are very conscious of these things because they are visible. Of this kind, Paul says,

"For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and that without partiality." - Col 3:25
We know what Paul is talking about. We often repent of doing these things. But what about the other kind of sin, the sin of omission? Sometimes we sit on our hands and say or do nothing when we should have acted. James says,

"Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." - James 4:17
One Commentary describes it as the sin of "knowledge without practice" (here). This person's "faith" is empty if he only offers well-wishes to the cold and hungry person. When you know the right thing to do and have the means, then you offer the coat or food; to do nothing is a sin. We often think of sin as the things we should not have done. However being a Christian is characterized as doing what we are positively called to do. A person can't say, "I decided I would not sin today and so I didn't." "How did you do that?" "I just sat down so that I would not step into sin, and I thought about nothing so that I would not think evil." "I see, but don't you think you committed the sin of being the useless fig tree?" "I didn't think of that." The command by Jesus to "deny yourself, and take up your cross and follow me" encompass the things we ought not to do, but it also includes what we ought to. And so the Christian quits drinking and cursing AND he praises God and tells the Good News to others (Mt. 28:18-20; Acts 2:38-41).To not do the latter things is sin.

In a recent lesson we learned how God commanded Joshua and Zerubbabel, the High Priest and the Governor of the remnant of Israel, to "walk in My ways" and "perform My service". If they would, God said, "you will also govern My house and also have charge of My courts, and I will grant you free access among these who are standing here" (Zechariah 3:17). The house of the Lord needed to be built. The service of God needed to be conducted. The idea that someone can be pleasing to God by turning from evil while remaining idle so as not to advance the work is the sin of omission. Truthfully, we understand that we must turn away from Satan's vices. But Satan is just as happy if we sit idly by and let others do the work.

In closing, let each person consider the personal application of Christ's words to: "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you", and that, "It is more blessed to give, than to receive", and finally, "Go into all the world and preach the Gospel", Jesus said. By doing God's will, we avoid the sin of omission.
TLFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Leviticus 5:1

So let's apply this to our history. JI became aware of PL's sin towards other saints. As the elder it was his responsibility to protect those saints, even if it meant that he himself would be slandered and forced out of the LC. Which is what happened. This is similar to Hebrews 11 where it talks about faith what happened to many that were faithful to the Lord. It is also similar to the Lord's word where He said that God had sent many servants to the evil husbandmen and they were mistreated until he finally sent His son who they killed.

The fact that you are evil spoken of and criticized is not evidence that you are "negative" and "divisive". Just as the Lord said "Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice and be exceeding glad for great is your reward in heaven for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savor, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing, but to be cast out, and trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it gives light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men,"

This is clearly something we are commanded to do, and the fact that there may be consequences, reviling, etc. is only for our glory and we should rejoice.

Last edited by ZNPaaneah; 11-06-2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Add the verse
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
TLFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
This is clearly something we are commanded to do, and the fact that there may be consequences, reviling, etc. is only for our glory and we should rejoice.
Regarding glory, there's glory from men and there's glory form God. It's either or. In John 5:41-44 Jesus said, "I do not receive glory from men. But I know you, that you do not rhave the loved of God in yourselves. I have come in the name of my Father, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him. How can you believe when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that is from the only God?"

When one care is for God's glory, they wouldn't give a concern about their reputations as John and Bill have done. Their reputation was the price to pay for their integrity. It is evident in Luke 6:22.

Back to Leviticus 5:1, here's what I found in the Leviticus Life-Study for what it's worth.
"We may think that what is spoken of here is insignificant and that it has nothing to do with us today. However, this seemingly unimportant matter exposes where we are; it shows we are not absolutely for God. If we are really for God and live for Him, especially in the church life, we will be faithful, honest, and sincere to testify what we know. We will testify of the truth. To fail in this matter is to be dishonest and unfaithful; it is to be unlike our God, who is faithful and honest." Page 194.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
We will testify of the truth. To fail in this matter is to be dishonest and unfaithful; it is to be unlike our God, who is faithful and honest." Page 194.
"Regarding discernment, now that we have the internet as everybody knows, emails go out day and night. And, usually the negative persons and the evil persons are more active than the positive ones. One of the most evil of these persons, his name is Steve Isitt. He is a man of death. And, he is very active in a negative way. And there are many others." (Ron Kangas). The speaking is regarding the truth, regarding being faithful to God, it is about being honest. For Ron Kangas to say that this speaking is evil, negative and a man of death tells you that he is fighting against God.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
TLFisher

Quote:
"Regarding discernment, now that we have the internet as everybody knows, emails go out day and night. And, usually the negative persons and the evil persons are more active than the positive ones. One of the most evil of these persons, his name is Steve Isitt. He is a man of death. And, he is very active in a negative way. And there are many others." (Ron Kangas). The speaking is regarding the truth, regarding being faithful to God, it is about being honest. For Ron Kangas to say that this speaking is evil, negative and a man of death tells you that he is fighting against God.
ZNPaaneah, strong words coming from brother Ron. At any rate, publicly defaming Steve Isitt isn't going to change the truth. I'm sure you've heard this old saying, the truth is the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
ZNPaaneah, strong words coming from brother Ron. At any rate, publicly defaming Steve Isitt isn't going to change the truth. I'm sure you've heard this old saying, the truth is the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
How about this one "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free"? Living a lie in order to cover up sins is bondage.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Toledo
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Quote:
I dunno, I've met Steve Isitt within the past year. Our fellowship was warm and fresh. If he is a ''man of death'', I look forward to meeting many more like him...

Ps 66:12 Thou didst make men ride over our heads; We went through fire and through water; Yet Thou didst bring us out into a place of abundance.
Toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Suannehill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo View Post
I dunno, I've met Steve Isitt within the past year. Our fellowship was warm and fresh. If he is a ''man of death'', I look forward to meeting many more like him...
LOL
Gotta love ya Toledo!
Suannehill is offline   Reply With Quote