Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here?

Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here? Current and former members (and anyone in between!)... tell us what is on your mind and in your heart.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
seeking1

Default Does anyone have any suggestions?

Greetings All, I guess i could be a little of topic here...kinda. But, I've been meeting w/ a lc in the gla for several years and i was fairly new when the whole tc/bb drama escalated at the time i really didn't care, i was just enjoying the Lord. Over the past year and a half I've really been pursuing the Lord and feel as though he's leading me out of the lc. Problem is I dont know where to go? The lc is the only church my kids have ever known. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default Re: Oh Lord, Where Do We Go From Here?

Greetings seeking1

Please feel free to register to the forum by sending your request (along with your desired UserName - seeking1 would be great) to LocalChurchDiscussions@Gmail.Com.

In the meantime...

For as much filth as there is on the Internet, it can be a very useful tool for seeking out a healthy fellowship. Most churches, especially growing, up-and-coming churches, can be found on the Internet. Most have very detailed descriptions of their core beliefs, worship style, etc. The fellowship I now attend I found on the Internet. Of course you can be ultra spiritual and pray that God will "lead you" - but I think in this day and age it's better to be practical.

The fellowship I attend is part of a "Network" of churches throughout North America (and the world). I would recommend you check and see if there is an Acts 29 associated church in your area. I believe you will find most of these churches especially responsive to the needs of young people and young, growing families.

Acts 29
http://www.acts29network.org/churches/
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
awareness

Brother UnToHim, are you sure you are not trading one addiction for another ; like heroin to methadone? Aren't the Acts 29 churches centralized, like the Living Stream Ministry churches?

Isn't going to the Acts 29 churches the result of jonesing for what was lost with the local church?

Maybe you don't even realize that the local churches was an addiction.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
UntoHim

Why Harold, you little rascal, trouble making contrarian you, what would any forum be without you! :justlurking:

No Acts29 is not a centralized organization at all. When you get a chance go ahead and peruse the website and I think you will be impressed with the variety of different churches. Also I think there is a mission statement there somewhere. Why don't you check it out and then get back to me.

I take it that our new friend seeking1 is a younger person with children, so that's why I gave him the suggestion.

For some people it may be a good idea to lay low for a while and "detoxify" before jumping right into another fellowship, but those with children should find a healthy place for their kids to go on Sunday, in my opinion.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
TLFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking1 View Post
Problem is I dont know where to go? The lc is the only church my kids have ever known. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I had several considerations. The place I choose to attend had to teach the Word and live the Word. Secondly there would be a children's or youth ministry my children could participate in.
From my own experience I thought it was beneficial for children to socially interact with children of other Christian families.
TLFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
zeek

Default Re: Does anyone have any suggestions?

It might be dangerous to jump into another church on the rebound.

After the LC I went to a Presbyterian church, a Methodist Church and a Unitarian Universalist Church before I stopped going to church altogether. The Presbyterian Church and the Methodist churches were spliting over internal issues. I couldn't persuade my wife to get interested in any kind of church after the LC. For her it was all down hill after the Church in Santa Cruz. Eventually we divorced. My current wife wouldn't be caught dead in a church otherwise I might be tempted to go to one. You know how it is.
zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Why Harold, you little rascal, trouble making contrarian you, what would any forum be without you! :justlurking:

No Acts29 is not a centralized organization at all. When you get a chance go ahead and peruse the website and I think you will be impressed with the variety of different churches. Also I think there is a mission statement there somewhere. Why don't you check it out and then get back to me.

I take it that our new friend seeking1 is a younger person with children, so that's why I gave him the suggestion.

For some people it may be a good idea to lay low for a while and "detoxify" before jumping right into another fellowship, but those with children should find a healthy place for their kids to go on Sunday, in my opinion.
Thanks bro UnToHim, for tolerating this gadfly curmudgeon -- wretched man that I am. .

In these parts going to church (of any kind) is a good thing. If you don't go to church (somewhere) then you are weird ... and treated as such. It's a self fulfilling prophesy -> not going to church will result in less good things for you in this community.

But back to the Acts 29 churches :

"The President of Acts 29 is Scott Thomas, one of the four Mars Hill executive pastors."

At Mars Hill we find :

As a result of the large growth of the church, their bylaws, which outline how the church is organised, have been rewritten on a few occasions. The outcome of this process in November 2007 led to changes in leadership organization. The new bylaws installed Lead pastor Jamie Munson and preaching pastor Mark Driscoll and pastors Scott Thomas and Tim Beltz as "executive pastors" who lead the objectives of the church "under the authority of the Board of Directors" on which the executive pastors also serve as directors. The change precipitated the firing of two pastors.

"Mars Hill leaders said in forum postings that one fired pastor was removed, in part, for "displaying an unhealthy distrust in the senior leadership." They said the other was removed for "disregarding the accepted elder protocol for the bylaw deliberation period" and "verbally attacking the lead pastor" — charges the fired pastor denied, the leaders added."

From : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Hi...anting_Network
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
OBW

Sorry to hear about some of the negative experiences. But they are not the only experiences.

I left the LRC 24 years ago next month and went straight to the place I still am found most of the time. Will it be the only place? Who knows. My wife and I talk about the pros and cons of staying/going. But just to keep ourselves open to any leading. We would not be leaving because it was bad. Or the other place was simply better.

That does not mean you have to accept the first place you land. But, like a 12-step program, you are much better off having someone who is where you want to be helping you find your way out of your problem than just helping you get turned loose into a wilderness. I know someone will praise the wilderness experiences. And God does use them. But that does not compel us to seek them out. There are good Christians practicing righteous living in many different outward ways. One of them might capture your fancy. Don't be worried that it would be "of your choice." That is an LRC construct designed to keep you in place.

Besides, just like salvation is a turn from one thing to another, your spiritual journey should not be from one thing into limbo (at least not willfully) rather than to another. It will be better to be stewing about how that group has an electric guitar and drums, or a choir, or only the preacher gets to speak rather than just going off on your own and having no fellowship of any kind. Do not forsake the assembling of yourself, as is the habit of some. It took me a little over a year, but I joined the choir. I have played my 12-string with the Sunday morning band. I (and the rest of my "fellows") know that we are the church, but we don't get apoplectic if someone says "go to church."

It is liberating. Even if it takes time.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
ToGodAlone

My only suggestion is to join a church that fits your needs and what you're looking for. Don't eliminate a church just based on it's name (unless that church is something like a Mormon church or a Jehovah's Witness church..) but rather, you must consider it's teachings, attitudes, and members. I recommend something "mainstream" but I know that that might not work out for you right now. Prayerfully consider each church and let God lead you.
ToGodAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGodAlone View Post
My only suggestion is to join a church that fits your needs and what you're looking for. Don't eliminate a church just based on it's name (unless that church is something like a Mormon church or a Jehovah's Witness church..) but rather, you must consider it's teachings, attitudes, and members. I recommend something "mainstream" but I know that that might not work out for you right now. Prayerfully consider each church and let God lead you.
I would underscore "mainstream." Places where there is a large body of Christian history and thought underpinning its theology rather than the ramblings of a former accountant (like me).
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
Thanks bro UnToHim, for tolerating this gadfly curmudgeon -- wretched man that I am. .

In these parts going to church (of any kind) is a good thing. If you don't go to church (somewhere) then you are weird ... and treated as such. It's a self fulfilling prophesy -> not going to church will result in less good things for you in this community.
As you said ... nothing is as it appears - there's a serpent in every paradise ...

We were with a community church for many years, until hard times came, and the continual emphasis on "sowing seeds" for every need, became too much for us. What to do when convinced that the word of God was being peddled for profit? There were many wonderful things to say about the congregation, but the weekly emphasis on giving money as a prerequisite for all spiritual blessing became too much for us.

From that experience, I learned the primary reason why Christians "stick it out" when their leadership goes sour. It's all about friendships and connections in relationships. We left the community church because we were not as well connected as others. They were bothered too, but not enough to leave. One sister said it well in frustration, "pastor Gary has literally been pushing the envelope." I do believe many have remained in the LC's due to their friendships. They care little for what is actually taught ... within reason.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
But back to the Acts 29 churches :

"The President of Acts 29 is Scott Thomas, one of the four Mars Hill executive pastors."
I assume this is the Mars Hill in Seattle and not the one in Michigan??
Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
UntoHim

Ok guys, back on track. Sorry seeking1, we'll try to do better from here on out. I think seeking1 is not asking about where NOT to go, but rather where TO GO. Didn't everybody's mommy tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.:rollingeyes2:

Quote:
Greetings All, I guess i could be a little of topic here...kinda. But, I've been meeting w/ a lc in the gla for several years and i was fairly new when the whole tc/bb drama escalated at the time i really didn't care, i was just enjoying the Lord. Over the past year and a half I've really been pursuing the Lord and feel as though he's leading me out of the lc. Problem is I dont know where to go? The lc is the only church my kids have ever known. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
manna-man

My suggestion is to simply seek Him. If you are truely seeking Him, you will find Him.

You/We have His word on that.

Peace.

Last edited by manna-man; 07-25-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: PB&J
manna-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Well you could do what I did. I left the house early one Sunday morning, seeking the Lord at every intersection, i walked about 5 miles until I saw a man carrying a Bible and I followed him. I have been there since 1997 and have had some wonderful experiences of Christ there.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
seeking1

Thank you all for your input. I must say it was such a relief to have stumbled onto this forum. I've been observing here and on the bereans for a couple of weeks now, thus far it's been helpful. The chain of events that lead me here is interesting one, it goes kind of like this: I was doing a search on TAS, got linked to Frank Viola's website, bought/read his books reimagining church & revise us again (they were ok), in his book Frank Viola drops Stephen Kaung's name, did a search on Stephen Kaung and somehow someone dropped his name either here or on the bereans, and...... here I am and i'm not crazy, or rebellious, or "in my mind", or alone, there are others who saw something wrong and it's good to know.