Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Apologetic discussions

Apologetic discussions Apologetic Discussions Regarding the Teachings of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee

Old 05-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Former LC member

Red face apostasy of Jeroboam

Most here will know the story of Jeroboam and how he set up 2 idols, one in Bethel and one in Dan. He did this to retain control of Israel, so that they did not go up to Jerusalem and thereby return to Rehoboam.
This is referred in the bible as the 'sin of the house of Jeroboam'.
In the recovery version of the bible, the footnotes acknowledge that idolatry is his sin, but much more is made of this sin as being 'breaking God's ordination of having one unique worship centre in the Holy land'. The thought is that, him substituting another place for people to meet is the 'sin of Jeroboam'. References are made to 'today's Christendom, with it's divisive worship centres' as being a 'type of the apostacy of Jeroboam'.
But today as I was reading this particular passage of the bible, I noticed that God was significantly quiet on this matter. Ahijah, the prophet, was told to tell Jeroboam's wife that He would punish his household. He would punish his house because, 'you have done more evil than all who were before you, for you have gone and made for yourself other gods and molded images to provoke Me to anger, and have cast Me behind your back'.
Note- no mention of anger about ditching the one unique ground of Jerusalem. No, what God cared about was His relationship with His people. He is a jealous God. He wants our love and worship exclusively for Himself.
Amazing what is seen when we abandon relying on the teachings of man and just return to God's pure Word.
Former LC member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
IDon'tKnow

Default Re: apostasy of Jeroboam

Also of note is the fact that they use Jeroboam to show how division is never justified whereas the Bible states that it was God who told him to divide.
IDon'tKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
KSA

Default Re: apostasy of Jeroboam

The preocupation with the place of the proper worship is entirely an OT thing. In the New Testament when Samaritain woman asked about the place of worship (John 4), the Lord replied that it is not a matter of a physical place anymore - now the hour has come to worship in the spirit and truth. And wherever two or three are gathered in His name, there He is in their midst.

Now as for the churches in locality in the NT, let say that LC is right and there should be only one church in the city. But it is not so today! What are we going to do in this confusing situation? The New Testament gives no instructions regarding this whatsoever. When in LC, I even heard it admetted. Then I was told that we should go to Ezra and Nehemiah to glean those principles. However, to base a doctrine (which is considered as a part of speciality of the church and should be fought for) on allegorical interpretation not supported by the New Testament is an extreme.

Another thing to consider is that kings in Judah were also guilty of idolatry, even though they still had the "proper ground", and they were judged accordingly.