Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Orthodoxy - Christian Teaching

Old 02-17-2023, 09:05 PM   #1
UtahGiant

Default Do You Believe In Your Heart?

Growing up in the Lord’s Recovery I was always taught the “spiritual” significance or the spiritual meaning of various Bible passages.

Until recently I’ve never considered if I truly believe in my heart that a actual human being rose from the dead. I’ve always believed in the “meaning” of Jesus’s resurrection, but never considered the actual event.

Has anyone here had this realization or question?
UtahGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:55 PM   #2
JJ

Default Re: Do You Believe In Your Heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGiant View Post
Growing up in the Lord’s Recovery I was always taught the “spiritual” significance or the spiritual meaning of various Bible passages.

Until recently I’ve never considered if I truly believe in my heart that a actual human being rose from the dead. I’ve always believed in the “meaning” of Jesus’s resurrection, but never considered the actual event.

That’s a good thing to consider since Romans 10:8-10 says that believing with our heart that God raised Jesus from the dead and confessing with our mouth Jesus is Lord are how we are saved through faith.

Did the saints preaching the gospel to you leave that part out (that God raised Jesus from the dead)?
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #3
Unregistered

Hello,
I was in the Local church, and I think that the reason it’s not a big topic of conversation or something that was taught, it’s because it would make some saints question validity of some other teachings. If you teach that Christ resurrection in the flesh, or bodily, and then that He actually was ascended with His full humanity intact (never shed it), then much of the things that they teach about corporate Christ, breaking of the outer men, satan dwelling in the flesh and others would fall flat on their face.

It’s also would lead people to leave the “four stages of salvation” teachings per WL, and WN, and understand that Christs resurrection has completed the redemption, and just by believing in the Christ, and knowing that the Spirit that raise Jesus from the dead dwells in us, will lead a born again believer to live a life of resurrection, rather that a life trying to go through that process yet again on your own. Paul says, “I have been (past tense) crucified with Christ”, and “you have been raised (past tense) with Christ”, are two main tenants of Christian faith. That’s what leads people to live a victorious life, rather than a life of working your way through the maze of “experiencing Christ”, as if it’s some kind of force or substance that you chase and get more or less of, depending on your level of “openness”.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:02 PM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGiant View Post

After a few decades in the “Recovery,” hearing from “the ministry” about the “spiritual significance” of each and every verse, I longed to return to the plain words of scripture, as they were written, and how they were intended to be read.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:15 PM   #5
Zezima

Interesting, in the Mystery of Human Life Booklet that all FTTA attendees have to memorize every term, it never really brings this up.

On the redemption portion it says this:
Quote:
Nevertheless, man’s fall did not deter God from fulfilling His original plan. In order to accomplish His plan, God first became a man called Jesus Christ (John 1:1, 14). Then Christ died on the cross to redeem man (Eph. 1:7), thus taking away his sin and bringing him back to God (John 1:29; Eph. 2:13). Finally, in resurrection, He became the life-giving Spirit so that He could dispense His unsearchably rich life into man’s spirit (1 Cor. 15:45b; John 20:22; 3:6).

Then the prayer to save believers is this…

Quote:
Lord Jesus, I am a sinner.
I need You.
Thank You for dying for me.
Lord Jesus, forgive me.
Cleanse me from all my sins.
I believe You rose from the dead.
I receive You right now as my Savior and life. Come into me! Fill me with Your life!
Lord Jesus, I give myself to You for Your purpose.
It says you believe Jesus rose from the dead, but the entire prayer is focused on the “spiritual” meaning.
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote