Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Writings of Former Members > Writings and Concerns of Steve Isitt

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Indiana
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 604
Default Contact with Fuller Seminary

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM, steve isitt wrote:

Dear Dr. Mouw,

I have been in Pasadena to hopefully discuss the topic of the Local Churches together with you before I leave.

Tuesday night I was in attendance with the Los Angeles rabbis in their discussion of the need for fact-finding and negotiation for bringing about a peaceful resolution to the problems in Israel, Palestine, and Middle East nations.

Concerning the Local Churches, many of us associated with them felt that Fuller's 2006 statement was an important step toward understanding and appreciating positive aspects about this group of churches. On the other hand, many realize there were deficiencies in Fuller's fact-finding endeavor. In a somewhat similar way, on Tuesday night the rabbis spoke of the deficiencies in the movie on Israel that greatly disturbed them. To begin with, the Christian producers did not even involve a Jewish person's input in the creation of the film. The rabbis felt the movie, With God on Our Side, was according to a political agenda the Christian producers had for the movie. As a result, the movie's specious content misled people. In Fuller's review, not one former member or leader was interviewed for their input.

Dr. Mouw, I have been writing transparently on Local Church history for ten years on both the positive and negative aspects. I had been a member for 30 years. There are also three prominent former Local Church leaders nearby in Anaheim available for invaluable writings and fellowship. Moreover, another former member wrote a book of her experience in the Local Church; I have five websites full of documentation that tell the unfiltered story of Local Church history, teachings, and practices not freely given to you or discovered by you in a limited exercise in fact-finding.

We observed, Dr. Mouw, the disgust Mark Diamond and Jonathan Freund had for the makers of the movie, With God on Our Side. They were visibly bothered by the lack of truth conveyed in the film and its detrimental effect to their cause of bringing forth facts, understanding, and reconciliation regarding Middle Eastern countries and concerns. At least the director of the movie did "issue a "correction" on the film's website and in a press release" acknowledging the erroneous Ben Gurion quote given in the movie, and it was said in response, "we sincerely appreciate Mr. Speakman's willingness to respond to criticism and to publicly issue this correction."

Not so in the Local Churches, who sadly believe that even when they are wrong they are right.

Regarding the Local Churches, there is a need for third party help and mediation with current and former leaders, toward reconciliation among many members in the Body of Christ. www.HidingHistoryintheLordsRecovery.us The most prominent former leader is now failing in health at 81 years old and told me at lunch two months ago that he would like to see again two brothers, Benson Phillips and Ron Kangas, and spoke of the closeness he especially had with Benson.

I wonder, Dr. Mouw, if you could assist me with that need. You are in a unique position to influence the Local Church leaders, more than I am or the former leaders are. We have no influence on them.

Something I read once about debate or argument is that once facts begin to emerge and take their place, the problems that were thought to be there dissipate in a process of eliminating faulty concepts one by one. However, any attempt by me or others to obtain fellowship "characterized by sincere, open, transparent, unrestricted dialog", as Fuller experienced, has been ignored, to put it mildly. It is not the practice of Local Church leadership to meet with concerned church members in such a way for challenging dialog and fellowship that might warrant a "correction" notice and public acknowledgment of being wrong.

my initial letter of appeal to Dan Towle in 2001
www.twoturmoils.com/danintro.doc

2004 appeal to Dan Towle for fellowship
www.twoturmoils.com/DanTowleDefamationLetter.pdf

But I still hope for their attention to facts, which are "stubborn things", and for their capitulation to the truth, which should prevail, not men, not agendas. May the Lord's will be done in our brothers, in me, and in you.

I hope to hear from you, Dr. Mouw, and would look forward to meeting you or meeting with you. I missed you on Tuesday night.

Respectfully yours
in Christ,
Steve Isitt
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Terry
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Renton, Washington
Posts: 3,250
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

In reading this letter two key points I see are:
1."Tuesday night I was in attendance with the Los Angeles rabbis in their discussion of the need for fact-finding and negotiation for bringing about a peaceful resolution to the problems in Israel, Palestine, and Middle East nations.
Concerning the Local Churches, many of us associated with them felt that Fuller's 2006 statement was an important step toward understanding and appreciating positive aspects about this group of churches. On the other hand, many realize there were deficiencies in Fuller's fact-finding endeavor. In a somewhat similar way, on Tuesday night the rabbis spoke of the deficiencies in the movie on Israel that greatly disturbed them. To begin with, the Christian producers did not even involve a Jewish person's input in the creation of the film. The rabbis felt the movie, With God on Our Side, was according to a political agenda the Christian producers had for the movie. As a result, the movie's specious content misled people. In Fuller's review, not one former member or leader was interviewed for their input.

Dr. Mouw, I have been writing transparently on Local Church history for ten years on both the positive and negative aspects. I had been a member for 30 years. There are also three prominent former Local Church leaders nearby in Anaheim available for invaluable writings and fellowship. Moreover, another former member wrote a book of her experience in the Local Church; I have five websites full of documentation that tell the unfiltered story of Local Church history, teachings, and practices not freely given to you or discovered by you in a limited exercise in fact-finding.

We observed, Dr. Mouw, the disgust Mark Diamond and Jonathan Freund had for the makers of the movie, With God on Our Side. They were visibly bothered by the lack of truth conveyed in the film and its detrimental effect to their cause of bringing forth facts, understanding, and reconciliation regarding Middle Eastern countries and concerns. At least the director of the movie did "issue a "correction" on the film's website and in a press release" acknowledging the erroneous Ben Gurion quote given in the movie, and it was said in response, "we sincerely appreciate Mr. Speakman's willingness to respond to criticism and to publicly issue this correction."

Not so in the Local Churches, who sadly believe that even when they are wrong they are right."

2. "Regarding the Local Churches, there is a need for third party help and mediation with current and former leaders, toward reconciliation among many members in the Body of Christ. www.HidingHistoryintheLordsRecovery.us The most prominent former leader is now failing in health at 81 years old and told me at lunch two months ago that he would like to see again two brothers, Benson Phillips and Ron Kangas, and spoke of the closeness he especially had with Benson."

I have italicized and underlined the point why Fuller ought to get involved to mediate. If not, it's an omission on their part. Come on brothers! Being significantly younger than many of the principles involved, they're not getting any younger. Stop playing games. Stop being political and cease being respectors of persons through the observance of some decades old edict.

"Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering."
Matthew 5:23-24
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Indiana
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 604
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Dear brother Dick,

I was with John Ingalls two months ago at lunch when he offered to shake hands with a brother who refused. Both this brother and his wife "remembered what he did in their locality" ....

John would just like to be able to have at least friendly relationships before he passes, and told me specifically that he would like to see Benson and Ron. "These two brothers", he said, "especially Benson", having indicated that they were close for many years...and had stayed in each others homes....

Brother, can't there be some form of reconciliation among current and former leaders, as it is their deep desire to do? And, preferably to the degree that would please the Lord, from both sides.
Steve I.

2 Corinthians 5
16 So then we, from now on, know no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him so no longer. 17 So then if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things have passed away; behold, they have become new. 18 But all things are out from God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Christ and has given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 Namely, that God in Christ was reconciling the world to Himself, not accounting their offenses to them, and has put in us the word of reconciliation. 20 On behalf of Christ then we are ambassadors, as God entreats you through us; we beseech you on behalf of Christ, Be reconciled to God. 21 Him who did not know sin He made sin on our behalf that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
Recovery Version


-----------------------------------------------
Hello Dr. Mouw, (sent to Dr. Moux first, then included to 160 leaders.)

I am following up my email request to substantiate my reason(s) for seeking mediation help from you, rather briefly presented in the attachment, Hear the Cases.

Thank you for any attention you can give on behalf of Christ in a ministry of reconciliation among brothers who have been "called into the fellowship of Jesus Christ our Lord" who is both their portion and ours in the same one Body.

Steve Isitt
--------------------------------------------------------

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM, steve isitt wrote:

Dear Dr. Mouw,

I have been in Pasadena to hopefully discuss the topic of the Local Churches together with you before I leave.

Tuesday night I was in attendance with the Los Angeles rabbis in their discussion of the need for fact-finding and negotiation for bringing about a peaceful resolution to the problems in Israel, Palestine, and Middle East nations.

Concerning the Local Churches, many of us associated with them felt that Fuller's 2006 statement was an important step toward understanding and appreciating positive aspects about this group of churches. On the other hand, many realize there were deficiencies in Fuller's fact-finding endeavor. In a somewhat similar way, on Tuesday night the rabbis spoke of the deficiencies in the movie on Israel that greatly disturbed them. To begin with, the Christian producers did not even involve a Jewish person's input in the creation of the film. The rabbis felt the movie, With God on Our Side, was according to a political agenda the Christian producers had for the movie. As a result, the movie's specious content misled people. In Fuller's review, not one former member or leader was interviewed for their input.

Dr. Mouw, I have been writing transparently on Local Church history for ten years on both the positive and negative aspects. I had been a member for 30 years. There are also three prominent former Local Church leaders nearby in Anaheim available for invaluable writings and fellowship. Moreover, another former member wrote a book of her experience in the Local Church; I have five websites full of documentation that tell the unfiltered story of Local Church history, teachings, and practices not freely given to you or discovered by you in a limited exercise in fact-finding.

We observed, Dr. Mouw, the disgust Mark Diamond and Jonathan Freund had for the makers of the movie, With God on Our Side. They were visibly bothered by the lack of truth conveyed in the film and its detrimental effect to their cause of bringing forth facts, understanding, and reconciliation regarding Middle Eastern countries and concerns. At least the director of the movie did "issue a "correction" on the film's website and in a press release" acknowledging the erroneous Ben Gurion quote given in the movie, and it was said in response, "we sincerely appreciate Mr. Speakman's willingness to respond to criticism and to publicly issue this correction."

Not so in the Local Churches, who sadly believe that even when they are wrong they are right.

Regarding the Local Churches, there is a need for third party help and mediation with current and former leaders, toward reconciliation among many members in the Body of Christ. www.HidingHistoryintheLordsRecovery.us The most prominent former leader is now failing in health at 81 years old and told me at lunch two months ago that he would like to see again two brothers, Benson Phillips and Ron Kangas, and spoke of the closeness he especially had with Benson.

I wonder, Dr. Mouw, if you could assist me with that need. You are in a unique position to influence the Local Church leaders, more than I am or the former leaders are. We have no influence on them.

Something I read once about debate or argument is that once facts begin to emerge and take their place, the problems that were thought to be there dissipate in a process of eliminating faulty concepts one by one. However, any attempt by me or others to obtain fellowship "characterized by sincere, open, transparent, unrestricted dialog", as Fuller experienced, has been ignored, to put it mildly. It is not the practice of Local Church leadership to meet with concerned church members in such a way for challenging dialog and fellowship that might warrant a "correction" notice and public acknowledgment of being wrong.

my initial letter of appeal to Dan Towle in 2001
www.twoturmoils.com/danintro.doc

2004 appeal to Dan Towle for fellowship
www.twoturmoils.com/DanTowleDefamationLetter.pdf

But I still hope for their attention to facts, which are "stubborn things", and for their capitulation to the truth, which should prevail, not men, not agendas. May the Lord's will be done in our brothers, in me, and in you.

I hope to hear from you, Dr. Mouw, and would look forward to meeting you or meeting with you. I missed you on Tuesday night.

Respectfully yours
in Christ,

Steve Isitt
Bellevue, WA
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
UntoHim
Grateful Servant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,674
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Steve I think you may be barking up the wrong tree with Dr. Mouw. He is Christian philosopher and not a Christian mediator. And from my observation he's not much of a theologian, which makes him a rather curious choice for president of a Christian theological seminary (which may say something about the state of affairs over there at Fuller) In any event, I fear he is one of these "everybody is a cult, so nobody is a cult" guys, a la our old friend J. Gordon Melton. I would imagine there were a number of ex Mormons who protested Mouw's cozying up to the Mormons just a few years ago. I bet some of them may have written a letter similar to yours....with a very similar cold, ignoring shoulder.

But, if you are nothing else my dear brother, you are very persistent and relentless in your pursuit of reconciliation among current and former members. I just wish you would just as persistent and just as relentless to bring them all here to LocalChurchDiscussion.Com - what would be a better neutral ground?
__________________
Now Unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy (Jude 24)
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Indiana
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 604
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Steve I think you may be barking up the wrong tree with Dr. Mouw...
Well, I did the next best thing and called DCP last week to sit down with them and have a talk. The receptionist asked who I was and I told her my name and that I was active on the forum and wanted to talk to someome from DCP. She went to tell Bill Buntain that Steve Isitt was on the phone wanting to talk to him. After a rather long wait, the receptionist came back, apologized for the wait, and said that Billl wanted me to leave a message for him. I told her to tell him that I wanted to help DCP end the internet problem with us by coming together with me to discuss what can be done...and to fellowship with us as we have been asking of LC leaders for a long time.

I said that I was nearby and could meet with Bill that afternoon or the next day. It has been one week and no word from the brother who helps head up the Defense team against those who challenge them. Indeed, their acceptance of an invitation to come onto the forum would be a catastrophe for them. They could not defend themselves and have not done so in 17 links to their writings http://www.twoturmoils.com/SteveLinks.pdf
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #6
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,120
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Indiana, can you reread 1Cor 5?

5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

This chapter which goes into detail about the excommunication of a brother that was a fornicator makes it clear that extortioners are included. DCP is merely the means by which LSM extorts others. Now Paul wrote that we were not to keep company with or even eat with extortioners.

If you agree that DCP assists LSM in extortion then why would you try and fellowship with them contrary to Paul's instructions? If you don't agree that they are involved in extortion then how do you explain this and other forums that you participate in?
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
Ohio
Member
 
Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greater Ohio
Posts: 11,613
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
Well, I did the next best thing and called DCP last week to sit down with them and have a talk. The receptionist asked who I was and I told her my name and that I was active on the forum and wanted to talk to someome from DCP. She went to tell Bill Buntain that Steve Isitt was on the phone wanting to talk to him. After a rather long wait, the receptionist came back, apologized for the wait, and said that Billl wanted me to leave a message for him. I told her to tell him that I wanted to help DCP end the internet problem with us by coming together with me to discuss what can be done...and to fellowship with us as we have been asking of LC leaders for a long time.

I said that I was nearby and could meet with Bill that afternoon or the next day. It has been one week and no word from the brother who helps head up the Defense team against those who challenge them.
Bill Buntain was probably afraid that you might "poison" him.

I doubt if he has been "authorized" to speak with you.
__________________
Ohio's motto is: With God all things are possible!.
Keeping all my posts short, quick, living, and to the point!
Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
rayliotta
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 602
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Bill Buntain was probably afraid that you might "poison" him.

I doubt if he has been "authorized" to speak with you.
Bill Buntain probably thinks he's following ZNP's I Cor admonition.

Which, btw, applies to me.

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/07/9252482-afghan-woman-ill-marry-rapist-even-though-i-cant-look-at-him
rayliotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,120
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
1Cor 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
It occurs to me that this verse is central to most of the threads on this forum.

1. "If any man that is called a brother be a fornicator" certainly applies to most of the concerns about PL, JI, JS, etc.
2. "...covetous" can certainly be applied to the entire Daystar fiasco.
3. "...idolater" can be a reasonable understanding of the MOTA teaching and all of the strange behaviors that have grown out of that.
4. "...railer" could refer to the behavior of many LC leaders, most notably TC, but others have also been mentioned to have this particular characteristic.
5. "...drunkard" -- haven't heard much about this other than some very brief references to TL, WL's other son.
6. "...extortioner" could refer to the way in which LSM forces churches to buy their books, or the way in which elders are forced to pledge loyalty to LSM, or the way in which meeting halls are seized, or the way in which TC was quarantined, etc.

Therefore, for all the sins and shortcomings mentioned here on this forum, shouldn't the biggest one be that too many of the saints in the LC ignored Paul's admonition in ICor 5:11?
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
UntoHim
Grateful Servant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,674
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Actually 1 Cor 5:11 is not even central to this thread, much less to most of the threads on this forum. The personal sins of Phillip Lee are actually a miniscule part of what should concern people about the teachings, practices and history of the Local Church. These teachings and practices are based upon the person and work of Witness Lee, and the problems that arose from the misconduct of his son(s) were merely a symptom of a vast and comprehensive sickness that has prevailed upon the entire movement since Lee took control. (Maybe even before, but that is for older people to decide)

A cursory review of John Ingalls’ book tells us that his concerns were not really based upon the sins of Phillip Lee, but rather that “the nature of the Lord’s recovery has changed”. Surely this involved much more than the antics of a silly and foolish man who held no official position of spiritual authority. The causes for the turmoil of the late 1980s ran much deeper and wider than Phillip Lee. The very fact that such a person could have any influence in one single local church, much less an entire movement, speaks volumes about the real character, intentions and motives of the prime mover of the Local Church.

Nevertheless, the sins and shortcomings of any man should not be the focus of any thread within this forum. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. That includes all the members of our little community….of the members of this forum, of the Body of all believers and even of every man who has ever lived, save for the One who’s glorious and powerful resurrection we will celebrate in a number of hours. My earnest hope and prayer is that this forum can be a place where the final and ultimate focus is upon the Person and work of our Lord Jesus Christ. Oh Father may it be so.
__________________
Now Unto Him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy (Jude 24)
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,120
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Actually 1 Cor 5:11 is not even central to this thread, much less to most of the threads on this forum.

As I understand it this thread is about contacting a 3rd party outside of the LRC to mediate between RG, BP and JI. This is based on the assumption that mediation is a prescribed path by the NT. I am challenging that assumption and asking, based on this verse, if this is really the prescribed path. You can safely argue that "reconciliation" is the prescribed goal, but 1Cor 5:11 did lead to reconciliation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
The personal sins of Phillip Lee are actually a miniscule part of what should concern people about the teachings, practices and history of the Local Church. These teachings and practices are based upon the person and work of Witness Lee, and the problems that arose from the misconduct of his son(s) were merely a symptom of a vast and comprehensive sickness that has prevailed upon the entire movement since Lee took control. (Maybe even before, but that is for older people to decide)
My question is that had the admonition in 1Cor5:11 been followed would it really have become a vast and comprehensive disease? A corollary of this would be a second question why. For example, after the Daystar debacle it would have been quite reasonable for the saints to listen to those from the far east and conclude that WL and his sons were covetousness. But they didn't, why? Is the lure of being "special", "God's unique move on earth" enough to cause someone to ignore the NT admonitions, and if so, shouldn't "how WL deceived the LRC" be a major focus when looking at WL's teachings? I would think so, and therefore 1Cor 5:11 is critical to prove that WL did deceive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
A cursory review of John Ingalls’ book tells us that his concerns were not really based upon the sins of Phillip Lee, but rather that “the nature of the Lord’s recovery has changed”. Surely this involved much more than the antics of a silly and foolish man who held no official position of spiritual authority. The causes for the turmoil of the late 1980s ran much deeper and wider than Phillip Lee. The very fact that such a person could have any influence in one single local church, much less an entire movement, speaks volumes about the real character, intentions and motives of the prime mover of the Local Church.
Yes, I agree. I would say that the nature of the LRC changed when saints decided it was OK to overlook fornication, covetousness, idolatry and extortion. I would also say the nature of the LRC changed when saints stopped being guided by the admonitions of the Apostle's in the NT. Therefore, 1Cor 5:11 becomes critical to demonstrating that the nature had changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Nevertheless, the sins and shortcomings of any man should not be the focus of any thread within this forum. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. That includes all the members of our little community….of the members of this forum, of the Body of all believers and even of every man who has ever lived, save for the One who’s glorious and powerful resurrection we will celebrate in a number of hours. My earnest hope and prayer is that this forum can be a place where the final and ultimate focus is upon the Person and work of our Lord Jesus Christ. Oh Father may it be so.
I think this idea, that we should not be focused on the sins and shortcomings of any man, is based on the Lord's word in the NT that we should "not judge lest we be judged, for with what judgement you judge you shall be judged". But that admonition does not apply to every man. The Lord allows us to judge ourselves because: "judge not yourself for with what judgement you judge yourself you shall be judged" just doesn't have the same edge to it.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
OBW
Member
 
OBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DFW area
Posts: 3,981
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

If the goal of this thread is reconciliation, then I believe that Indiana is going about it in the wrong way.

The reason that reconciliation is needed is that certain remaining leaders of the LRC effectively ousted JI and others, using lies to hide the truth that was behind the events of the mid to late 80s. BP and RG claimed early on that JI's problem was strictly "local" and had nothing to do with the LSM. But reality was that the LSM ruled the churches, with none effected more than the two where the LSM resided.

But no matter the cause of the problems, the ongoing problem is that BP, RG, RK, etc., will not discuss the matters with anyone, especially anyone outside of their ranks. I see only two ways that this will begin to change.

The first, and least meaningful would be some kind of near death-bed reflection that causes them to recognize their error. But if their attempt at some kind of apology or reconciliation is as feeble as was Lee's it will be near pointless.

The second would be for someone that they respect to point at the error in their ways. Sort of like Nathan did to David, although I doubt they would respond well if the "pointing" is as direct as Nathan did to David. And they don't respect Indiana. They want him to go away. They probably wish that they had the authority that Constantine gave to the leadership to silence even minor variations as heresy. That would allow them to drive him away for good.

So even if this Dr. Mouw could ever be such a person, he is now seen as being called into action by the one they despise. It reduces any possibility of respect by the BBs to near zero. Or at least collective respect. Individually, they may respect him, but as a group, there is a pressure to keep in line. The dirt that the past holds over all of them is strong.

The BBs may have been successful at getting Passitano (sp?) and company to change their tune. But it was not at the behest of an outsider. It was at their request to change their image with the larger Christian community. And they didn't actually have to change to do it. Just look like it. Spin their teaching to the outsiders without changing anything.

At times, I think that the only kind of reconciliation that can happen with the LRC is that you capitulate in full. Even then you are only allowed into the outer court. Still a bit of a leper.

And wanting to be reconciled with the LRC is like wanting to be reconciled with your favorite dictator, or with those running the Spanish Inquisition. It seems that it is better to leave the LRC as the one that has been excommunicated and let them come back and show that they have changed. Constantly trying to reconcile with them demonstrates that they are right and you are wrong. If they are actually wrong, why do you want back in with them.

For both JI and Indiana, I understand the desire for reconciliation. Their position is more like when God spoke through the prophets saying that He wanted Israel to return to His ways, in which case he would be so wonderful to them. But as long as the naughty children refuse to listen to wise counsel, there can be no reconciliation.

Let the LRC come to you. They have effectively been excommunicated from you. Reconciliation in that situation requires that they change. Not you. To grovel for their allowing you is to desire to follow in their folly so that fellowship can be restored, and you follow them into their excommunication. A little like sending someonw to prison for rehabilitation and then at the first parole hearing, note that they are still thieving murderers, and since you can't let them back into your society, you ask them if you can join them in prison.

I am not closed to there ever being the needed reconciliation. But in the correct sense, the ones who are now treated as sinners (Matt 18) are the BBs, not JI or Indiana. And there is no sign that the BBs are changing. So they remain sinners. The last thing you want is to join them in their sin.
__________________
Mike
I once thought I was. . . . but I may have been mistaken — Edge (with apologies)
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Ohio
Member
 
Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greater Ohio
Posts: 11,613
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Actually 1 Cor 5:11 is not even central to this thread, much less to most of the threads on this forum. The personal sins of Phillip Lee are actually a miniscule part of what should concern people about the teachings, practices and history of the Local Church.
Technically true, but ...

PL was LSM's "Office Manager." ALL WORKER ACTIVITIES around the globe were to be under his direction. ALL workers, from Anaheim to Zealand, including Stuttgart, HAD to be reported to Phillip Lee. John So and other church leaders learned this and immediately departed from the Recovery, and rejected all contact with WL and LSM.

As with the Watergate fiasco of '73, the coverup was far worse that the crime. The coverup of PL's immoralities was orchestrated by WL himself. This is why so many leaders lost all faith in WL. Then he went on to discredit any and all who had the guts to speak out for righteousness sake.

Yes, Ingalls wrote and spoke out that the nature of the Lord’s recovery has changed,” but that was as much to do with the "leadership" of PL as anything else. WL had removed himself from the scene, and all leaders from around the globe were instructed to report to PL, his "most trusted co-worker." Surely the nature of the Lord’s recovery has changed for such a profligate character to be in charge.
__________________
Ohio's motto is: With God all things are possible!.
Keeping all my posts short, quick, living, and to the point!
Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
rayliotta
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 602
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
My question is that had the admonition in 1Cor5:11 been followed would it really have become a vast and comprehensive disease? A corollary of this would be a second question why. For example, after the Daystar debacle it would have been quite reasonable for the saints to listen to those from the far east and conclude that WL and his sons were covetousness. But they didn't, why? Is the lure of being "special", "God's unique move on earth" enough to cause someone to ignore the NT admonitions, and if so, shouldn't "how WL deceived the LRC" be a major focus when looking at WL's teachings? I would think so, and therefore 1Cor 5:11 is critical to prove that WL did deceive.



Yes, I agree. I would say that the nature of the LRC changed when saints decided it was OK to overlook fornication, covetousness, idolatry and extortion. I would also say the nature of the LRC changed when saints stopped being guided by the admonitions of the Apostle's in the NT. Therefore, 1Cor 5:11 becomes critical to demonstrating that the nature had changed.
ZNP, weren't you there too? Didn't we all wear blinders while we were there, at least in regard to a lot of things?
rayliotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,120
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayliotta View Post
ZNP, weren't you there too? Didn't we all wear blinders while we were there, at least in regard to a lot of things?
If you are referring to Daystar, no. I arrived in the Summer of 78.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
rayliotta
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 602
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim
Actually 1 Cor 5:11 is not even central to this thread, much less to most of the threads on this forum. The personal sins of Phillip Lee are actually a miniscule part of what should concern people about the teachings, practices and history of the Local Church. These teachings and practices are based upon the person and work of Witness Lee, and the problems that arose from the misconduct of his son(s) were merely a symptom of a vast and comprehensive sickness that has prevailed upon the entire movement since Lee took control. (Maybe even before, but that is for older people to decide)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Yes, Ingalls wrote and spoke out that the nature of the Lord’s recovery has changed,” but that was as much to do with the "leadership" of PL as anything else. WL had removed himself from the scene, and all leaders from around the globe were instructed to report to PL, his "most trusted co-worker." Surely the nature of the Lord’s recovery has changed for such a profligate character to be in charge.
Didn't Witness Lee handpick elders from afar throughout the migrations and consolidations of the 70's? Seems like the culture that came of age with Daystar and Max Rappaport -- must have been fertile ground for the Philip Lee/Anaheim/Southeast/Stuttgart fiascos a decade later.
rayliotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
ZNPaaneah
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,120
Default Re: Contact with Fuller Seminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayliotta View Post
ZNP, weren't you there too? Didn't we all wear blinders while we were there, at least in regard to a lot of things?
Prior to coming to this forum I was concerned that I had been too strong in rebuking the elders in Texas, learning the back story has given me a lot of peace that I was in fact in tune with the Lord in my speaking and actions. (Some felt I may have incited the rebellion of the YP meeting in Irving that PL was in charge of, and others blamed me for GW fading from the forefront).

Daystar was before my time. I never wore blinders concerning PL. I had an immediate aversion to him the first time I met him and once I learned of the hypocrisy concerning the LSM closing their eyes to his sins I rebuked the LSM representatives at the very first opportunity.

I was not present during the "railing" that TC apparently did against elders and leaders in his area.

I was not aware of the extortion on elders from the LSM until coming to this forum, though I was aware that NY had boxes of books they never wanted to purchase.

When I read of TC's quarantine I wrote a response for Tomes website that he posted.

However, I was in Houston and then in Irving when RG began to develop his teaching which I have to believe grew into the teaching on MOTA. I regret that I was not more vocal in speaking against it, but at the time his teaching comprised several verses from Phil., RG's testimony, and a little "wink wink" implying that he knew a secret. There was nothing as bold and blatant as the quarantine on TC for "not being absolute for the entire ministry of WL". However, in my response to that I did take note of how offensive it was to make that a basis for excommunication.

I have said this before, but WL and the elders in Texas were never a major factor in my being in the LRC. My biggest concern was that I was sacrificing everything for something that was phony. As a result I was very quick to rebuke things that I felt clearly needed to be rebuked. I was never concerned about being excommunicated for standing for righteousness. My fear was that I might reject the Lord's speaking. I was threatened several times with excommunication, some saints did what they could to make my life miserable, first after I ignored the threats, and then it got worse after I rebuked BP in a Lord's Table meeting. They refused to let me continue to attend trainings, but in hindsight that was the Lord's mercy. They also refused to let me attend the FTTT, so I moved from Texas to NY, then to NH, and then when NY was desperate to send someone I was sent.

Even though I grew up in Houston with EM and KR I was ostracized from that inner circle, once again, in hindsight that was the Lord's mercy. I was always able to fellowship with many wonderful and genuine saints, being ostracized from the BB's was a non concern for me, I never had the slightest interest in being a "full timer" even though I had served full time for a number of years (Irving for 18 months and Taipei for 12 months).
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Indiana
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 604
Default Re: Fuller Seminary will not get involved

After receiving the email (below), I called DCP as I have previously shared. I also called Ron Kangas at LSM and left him a voice mail asking him for an appointment in person to discuss his issues with me that he made known in a general way in Ecuador. I told him he needed to make clear to me why he regards me as one of the most evil speakers on the internet, yet does not support his statements about me with examples from my writings. I said, in effect, "Let us sit down to fellowship and consider if I have spoken anything that was not true.

I have not "yet" heard from him.


Email March 28

Dear Mr. Isitt,

Thank you for your email that you sent dated March 1, 2012, and the second dated March 15, 2012. I know that you have also stopped by the president's office a couple of times wanting to make an appointment with Dr. Mouw. This is to acknowledge that we have received your inquiries addressed to Dr. Mouw and others in your second email.

President Mouw and Dean Loewen have have taken your emails under advisement and have reviewed your request for an appointment to discuss the matters you have raised. Drs. Mouw and Loewen consider this an internal matter of the Local Churches and they will not address the matter as a theological institution. Due to his travel schedule and other commitments, Dr. Mouw will not be able to meet with you.

Thank you for your patience as we reviewed your written request.

Sincerely,
Wendy S. Walker
Executive Assistant to the President and Trustees
Office of the President
Fuller Theological Seminary
135 No. Oakland Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91182
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 PM.


3.8.9