Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > The Local Church in the 21st Century

The Local Church in the 21st Century Observations and Discussions regarding the Local Church Movement in the Here and Now

Old 01-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
micah6v8

Default Age of 35

In the Local Church locality that I am in, the church likes to make a distinction between those adults who are under 35 and those who are over 35.

Does this happen in the locality you attend?
micah6v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
TLFisher

Default Re: Age of 35

The primary locality I met with in Washington state tended my make distinctions with those who were college age and those who were not. If you were college age, there would be focused and specialized care. Those who weren't college age, you were fairly much on your own depending on ones ability to build relationships. If one was fortunate you were married and didn't have to be concerned with such burdens.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah6v8 View Post
In the Local Church locality that I am in, the church likes to make a distinction between those adults who are under 35 and those who are over 35.

Does this happen in the locality you attend?
"Everybody over 35 stand up and read verse two!"

So stupid!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #4
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
"Everybody over 35 stand up and read verse two!"

So stupid!
This is about what I have experienced as well, and it is quite annoying when they do this.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
TLFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
This is about what I have experienced as well, and it is quite annoying when they do this.
Times I have visited my parents locality, I have yet to witness such a thing. Then again, if they did nearly everyone would be standing up.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Times I have visited my parents locality, I have yet to witness such a thing. Then again, if they did nearly everyone would be standing up.
It seems that sometimes LC leaders like to distinguish people based on age. I think that they might feel "threatened" by active young people who can play church better than them. Calling out an age group reinforces their position as just being "young people".
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
TLFisher

Quote:
It seems that sometimes LC leaders like to distinguish people based on age. I think that they might feel "threatened" by active young people who can play church better than them. Calling out an age group reinforces their position as just being "young people".
25-30 years ago there was a popular LC slogan many of these same current leaders probably uttered themselves....."out with the old. In with the new"
Probably remember how ambitious they were and feel threatened by younger generations.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
TLFisher

Quote:
I think that they might feel "threatened" by active young people who can play church better than them. Calling out an age group reinforces their position as just being "young people".
Just like what Ron said in Bellevue a few years back....he's not going to step aside for anyone.
Why is there need for him to make a statement like that? I do agree all people are ambitious, but not all brothers are ambitious in the context the blendeds would imply. That's why there's a need to remind the younger brothers to know their role just so the older brothers can keep their spot.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Jake

At the international memorial day conference in New York this past weekend, the co-worker giving the final message declared that too many young saints had been prophesying, thus depriving us of hearing the wisdom of more experienced saints, and therefore decreed that for the final meeting, only saints aged 35 or older would be allowed to come up and speak at the microphone.

At the LC I usually visit, I've only seen the college-age/working-age distinction (often specified as 25).
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote