Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
awareness

Default Passing Gas

This is rather funny but it says a lot about Witness Lee.

In The Testimony of God’s Grace by Herald Hsu, a cowoker with Nee and Lee from China, he says that after Lee confronted T. Austin Sparks about the ground of locality, and getting spurned by TAS, Lee said that "TAS’s message is like passing gas"!

Now considering that usually when someone accuses another it says more about the accuser than the accused my main question is: How much of Witness Lee's message was just passing gas?

And more broadly, how many Christian ministers are out there just passing gas?

Harold Hsu's testimony here:
http://www.bcbsr.com/topics/lc_hsu.html
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Timotheist

Default Re: Passing Gas

Perhaps he meant it in the complimentary sense
Timotheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timotheist View Post
In the Chinese culture if you burp real loud after having a meal at someone's house it is a great compliment. In fact when I had dinner with WL when he is was in SC afterwards he burped to show his appreciation. Probably passing gas is just a compliment of ATS's deep knowledge and insight into the Bible. Do you think?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #4
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
In the Chinese culture if you burp real loud after having a meal at someone's house it is a great compliment. In fact when I had dinner with WL when he is was in SC afterwards he burped to show his appreciation. Probably passing gas is just a compliment of ATS's deep knowledge and insight into the Bible. Do you think?
And I guess passing gas after the meal means you're full. Maybe Lee meant, TAS was full of the Spirit.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
awareness

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it can mean something like: "TAS's messages? Oh what a relief they are." But prolly not.

By the way bro Timotheist, I took a look at a thread you started, called something like "Timotheist Exposed."

The thread is closed, for reasons I know not. Maybe UntoHim doesn't allow textual criticism on the main forum. I don't know.

What do you think of having the thread moved to Alt. Views. I think it would fit here.

Let me know and I'll do my best to have it moved.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
OBW

Awareness,

I think you missed that the thread "Timotheist Exposed" is his blog, therefore the fact that it is closed is probably his own doing.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Awareness,

I think you missed that the thread "Timotheist Exposed" is his blog, therefore the fact that it is closed is probably his own doing.
I did miss that. Thanks for pointing it out. The offer still stands, to bring it over here. If Timotheist is interested.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Timotheist

The topics I discuss on my blog are definitely "alternative view" material. I stopped posting there last year because I was about to launch into a subject that I knew would be quite offensive to some, and so I hesitated.

I have been toying with the idea of picking up that discussion here in the Alternative View section, keeping the thread open, and letting the chaos begin.

The subject: The Virgin Birth.

If you want to bring my blog posts over here to set the stage for this discussion, I am good with that.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
Dave

Quote:
The topics I discuss on my blog are definitely "alternative view" material. I stopped posting there last year because I was about to launch into a subject that I knew would be quite offensive to some, and so I hesitated.

I have been toying with the idea of picking up that discussion here in the Alternative View section, keeping the thread open, and letting the chaos begin.

The subject: The Virgin Birth.

If you want to bring my blog posts over here to set the stage for this discussion, I am good with that.
I looked over your material at Timotheist Exposed. Certainly fodder for discussion over here on Alt Vw. Bring it on over!
Old 05-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
Timotheist

How about we open three threads:

1) Bring "Timotheist exposed" over here and unlock it for comments. Perhaps there is some interest in discussing my research into the crucifixion (and Passion Week), Jesus' baptism, Paradise, and my approach in general.

2) Start a "Virgin Birth questioned: the research" thread. Ideally, this thread would devote itself to a dispassionate (yeah right) discussion of the evidence.

3) Start a "Virgin Birth questioned: the implications" thread. I would love a discussion, no holds barred, to address the question: "If Jesus was born as 100% man (just a slob like one of us), then what are the impacts to WL's theology and your own?"

What does the MOVA think?
Old 05-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
awareness

Quote:
Why not? How 'bout it UntoHim, can ya do it? Can you move his blog to a thread on AltVs? If not, I suppose we could just copy them.

One way or the other, bro Timotheist, we'll get it done.

And we can also go into the virgin birth question.

I'll just give it a kick with, Paul, our earliest writer of the books of the NT, doesn't mention the virgin birth. Yet surely, writing during the 50s and 60s, he would have heard about it, even if it was just stories going around about Jesus.