Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Regional Concerns

Old 08-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
YP0534

Default Way down South! - Discussions & Concerns South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Folks, I'm going to be taking a few days haitus from around here and request prayers for whoever may end up in the path of a potentially dangerous hurricane Gustav.

I'm not making solid evacuation plans yet or anything but I've really got to try to get some extra stuff out of the way tomorrow and Friday (3rd anniversary of Katrina) like I'm not going to be able to do anything next week. Even if Gustav doesn't ultimately hit here, it might still disrupt things for a few days while everyone gets back from wherever they went.

I'll check back when I can but signing off for now...

YP0534
Let each walk as the Lord has distributed to each, as God has called each, and in this manner I instruct all the assemblies. 1 Cor. 7:17
YP0534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
finallyprettyokay

YPO:

It doesn't sound like you'll have a chance to read this, but if you do --- know that we are praying for you, for your family, for everyone. Go with God, brother.

fpo
finallyprettyokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
djohnson

Ya brah I'll definitely be praying for you!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
finallyprettyokay

Unhappy Gustav

The news people are saying this may be the biggest hurricane ever, since records have been kept. I know we are all praying for that area, all the people, their homes, their pets, etc.

And all of you poster-friends down in that stormy area, check back in with us when you can. God be with you. All of you. Everyone.

fpo

PS -- CMW tells us to watch for something BIG. Yikes!!!

------------

Last edited by finallyprettyokay; 08-30-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: PS
Old 08-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
YP0534

Default Update.

The public officials in my jurisdiction have now called for a mandatory evacuation and the survivalists will be subject to a harsh curfew if they remain.

The storm is too close and too strong to just ride it out foolishly and so I'll be evacuating shortly after first light this morning, headed east.

The main part of the city as well as my home will most likely survive with only light wind damage but a large part of the New Orleans metro area that was not flooded by Katrina's or Rita's storm surges is now targeted by Gustav's. Thus, it should not be quite the same scale as Katrina's devastation, but it is likely to be quite extensive.

I'll try to check in once I get the wireless Internet working in the hotel room.

Thank you for your continued prayers for our region.
Let each walk as the Lord has distributed to each, as God has called each, and in this manner I instruct all the assemblies. 1 Cor. 7:17
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
kisstheson

Hello dear brother YP0534,

You surely have lots of very important matters to be concerned with. We are holidng you up in prayer, dear brother.

Check in with us when you can. From what we hear on the news, it sounds like Gustav largely spared New Orleans, for which we are very thankful. Cajun country in SW Louisiana did not fare as well. Surely they need our prayers.

We love you in Christ, dear brother.
"kisstheson"
Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Steven

I learned that YP is on his way back into the NO area today. All is apparently well, but he will likely be without power and internet into the weekend. He appreciates your prayers and concern.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
countmeworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyprettyokay View Post
PS -- CMW tells us to watch for something BIG. Yikes!!!
That's not the 'BIG' news I had in mind FPO...more like the selected rootin-tootin VP McCain picked as his running mate ! Now THAT'S big news.

Bigger still is what might come to pass between now & January....and that's stretching it....My radar ears in my spirit are tuning in & keeping alert for end of Sept-Mid October.

We'll see.

I don't trust Vladimir Putin with a ten foot pole or M. Ahmadinijhad!!!
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
SpeakersCorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
I learned that YP is on his way back into the NO area today. All is apparently well, but he will likely be without power and internet into the weekend. He appreciates your prayers and concern.
How about Roger? Anyone heard from him?

SC
SpeakersCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
YP0534

Default Checking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Back but still busy.

I've got power but most stores are still closed.

We spent the morning picking up debris and taking down plywood. For lunch, I grilled some steaks that had gotten defrosted and re-frozen. Same thing for dinner, I'm afraid. Minimal storm damage to the house. Praise the Lord. My sister is still without power and a little grumpy about that. Gas stations are scarce right now so she's only running their generator at night. The sewerage system made progress today and they expect that we may be able to flush and bathe normally as soon as tomorrow!

For an adventure this afternoon, we tried to find a place to buy milk and eggs. Eggs were plentiful enough at the one open grocery we found. Milk, not so much. They had 6 half-gallons of whole milk left and I got one of them! It was like winning the lottery except that the check-out lines were 8 deep in 8 lanes in a tiny little grocery. They were also running very low on loaves of white bread, which is all they had left. No wheat, no hot dog or hamburger buns, really no baked goods at all, just about 20 loaves of white bread and I saw three get picked up while I merely glanced at the shelf. Sad. But there was only a 4-bag limit on 7-lb bags of ice, which didn't seem too bad.

Unbelievable, really, to be going through stuff like this again just three years after Katrina. But we should bounce back more quickly this time since we didn't have the levee failures and resultant flooding.

Looking forward to getting back to \apostolos\ and \ekklesia\ soon!

Grace to you all and thanks for the kind words and prayers. Please continue to remember the rest of Louisiana because, really, we got off easy this time around and we'll be helping them going forward...
Old 09-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
finallyprettyokay

YPO -- Welcome Home!!!!

We will continue our prayers ---

fpo
Old 09-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #12
YP0534

Default Uh-oh.

Here I was unpacking and trying to pick up where I left off and now an ugly-looking Ike is stretching out a finger that is currently pointing at us again. Hotel rooms are already booked as far north as Jackson, MS. I found one in Memphis this morning. Laundry and outside preparations today and back to work on Monday after an entire week of no work, with a wary eye towards the East for potential re-evacuation as soon as Wednesday...
Old 09-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #13
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

YP0534,
so glad you made it through is one piece! We were so glad that NO was spared a direct hit this time. Hopefully this next one will fizzle out before it reaches land.
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
YP0534

Default Evacuation Contemplation

And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
- Matt. 8:20
Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
Hope

Default Re: Way down South...Invitation to a Conference

Dear Posters,

I enjoyed reading AndPeter, Steve, from Toronto regarding their experience after leaving the LSM. Out experience in NC has been very similar. We are so grateful that after the quarantine of the Great Lakes Area that we have been once again included in the fellowship with the precious saints and churches in that area.

I have included an invitation we have sent out to folks we know. From time to time we get together in NC to spend a more concentrated time in fellowship with one another and in the Word of God. The Lord has richly blessed.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. We are not the LSM or anything like that. Perhaps some would feel to attend and bless us with your presence and portion.

Your brother in Christ Jesus,
Don Rutledge
----------------------------------------------------------------------

April 18, 2009
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

The churches in Raleigh and Durham, NC, wish to invite you to a Memorial Day Weekend Conference on Saturday May 23nd and the Lord’s Day May 24th , 2009. The main meetings will be held at the Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport - Brier Creek.

We feel the Lord is leading us to have fellowship regarding:

Cultivating our inner life in Christ
For our daily life with Christ
Resulting in our church life expressing Christ

Although some of the details regarding the conference weekend are still being planned, this email is going out so that saints have adequate time to make their travel plans, as well as hospitality and any other arrangements they may need to make.
The meeting schedule for this conference is intended to be as follows:

FRIDAY May 22, 2009 Arrival by saints traveling from out-of-town
Dinner and fellowship in homes of local saints
SATURDAY May 23, 2009 Meeting 1 9:30 – 12:00 PM
Lunch 12:15 PM
Afternoon Fellowship time followed by dinner
Young saints fellowship ( details to be announced later)
Meeting 2 7:00 – 9:30 PM
LORD’S DAY May 24, 2009 Lord’s Table 9:00 – 9:30 AM
Meeting 3 9:30 – 12:00 PM
Lunch 12:15 PM
Afternoon Fellowship time and dinner
Meeting 4 7:00 – 9:30 PM

MONDAY May 25, 2009 Fellowship in homes of local saints
Travel by saints from out-of-town

Children will be cared for on-site in a suite nearby the meeting room.

HOSPITALITY: Will be offered by the churches to the extent possible. Please provide the requested information on the attached Registration Form. Saints may pre-arrange their own hospitality with saints they know, and provide us with that information on the Registration Form.

CONFERENCE HOTEL: Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport- Brier Creek.
** $99.00 (special rate $84.15 for early payment, no refund option) **
8021 Arco Corporate Drive (off US70-Glenwood Ave), Raleigh, NC 27617
Reservations: (919) 484-0500 (mention The church in Raleigh Group)

For more information, please contact either:
Rodney Hayselette (919) 529-1085 or (919) 761-4023 (cell) or Bill Dunleavy (919) 720-2332
Email: hayslettes@msn.com dunleavy@ncsu.edu

REGISTRATION FORM

Memorial Day Weekend Conference
Saturday May 23nd and the Lord’s Day May 24th , 2009

. Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport - Brier Creek
Raleigh, NC

Cultivating our inner life in Christ
For our daily life with Christ
Resulting in our church life expressing Christ

Names of those attending Brother/
from an Individual family Age Sister Anticipated arrival/Flight # and Time

1___________________________ ____ ______ _______________________________

2___________________________ ____ _______ ______________________________

3___________________________ ____ _______ _______________________________

4___________________________ ____ _______ _______________________________

Contact Name________________________________________

Phone Number and email, if available __________________________________________________ _____

REQUEST FOR HOSPITALITY

Please circle one: YES NO

If plans have already been made to stay with local saints, please identify:

If not requesting hospitality, will you be making reservations to stay at the Conference Hotel? YES NO

Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport- Brier Creek.
** $99.00 (special rate $84.15 for early payment, no refund option) **
8021 Arco Corporate Drive (off US70-Glenwood Ave), Raleigh, NC 27617
Reservations: (919) 484-0500 (mention the church in Raleigh Group)

PLEASE RETURN REGISTRATION FORM TO ARRIVE BY MONDAY MAY 4th

Email to either Rodney or Bill or mail to Rodney: Please call with any questions.

Rodney Hayselette (919) 529-1085 or (919) 761-4023 (cell) or Bill Dunleavy (919) 720-2332
13817 Bold Run Road dunleavy@ncsu.edu
Wake Forest, NC 27587
hayslettes@msn.com
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #16
Hope

Default Re: Way down South...

Thank you all who may have prayed for our gathering this week-end.

Several saints appeared who we did not know but it was so wonderful how we were instantly one in our joy of our common Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

From the start all the guest were warmed and comforted and at home. During the first gathering, saint after saint stood, identified themselves as from some other city and spoke of their love for Christ.

During lunch I was speaking with one of the out of town guests and he remarked that it seemed that the majority of the attendance was from out of town. It sure did seem that way, as the out of town brothers and sisters did the vast majority of the sharing and testifying. I thought it was wonderful.

Last night we had our last gathering. We gathered at 7:00. We were still going strong in singing and testifying when one of the brothers interrupted and said it is now 10:30 and we need to leave as our official time to vacate was 9:30. Everyone was shocked that it was so late. The brother continued that the motel just needed to do their clean up and that we could sing the song that had been called and then we needed to scoot. (By the way the motel was not upset with us and forgave us the extra hour.)

But the saints really just moved the fellowship to the hallway and lobby. My wife and I finally left after 11:00 as she announced that she would fall asleep if we stayed longer. Thankfully, no one fell out of a window.

Your Brother in Christ Jesus,

Hope,

Yes, there is hope for us all.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
UntoHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
..it was so wonderful how we were instantly one in our joy of our common Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ
THAT'S what I'm talkin bout!

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
Old 05-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #18
kisstheson

Dear ones, beloved of God,

My dear sister/wife and I were two of the out-of-town guests who attended the conference in Raleigh, NC. I can testify that all the things reported by dear brother Hope did in fact take place! There were dear brothers and sisters at the conference from at least ten different places, from various backgrounds and experiences, and yes, it was really wonderful how we were instantly one in our joy of our common Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! This oneness pervaded the entire weekend.

The speaking and testifying during the meetings, the fellowship at the restaurant and in the homes, the lingering after the meetings – everything had a fragrance of freshness and a fragrance of genuine brotherly love. Our dear heavenly Father’s heart of encouragement, compassion and love was expressed in so many ways.

I was so thankful to hear speaking from the Word which brought me back to the simplicity which we believers have in Christ. In addition, so much of the speaking was extremely practical in nature. I have to thank our dear Lord for recalibrating me in a big way during this conference.

If, in Christ, I may honor our dear brother Hope, I do have to testify that his speaking brought to light many points that have always been there in the Word, but which I have always overlooked. Dear brother Hope’s speaking brought us back to the real heart of our dear Lord Jesus while He was on this earth, and also brought us back to how much He desires to walk this earth again in His believers! Again and again, our dear brother stressed the rich provision God has provided for us which enables us to overcome all the obstacles that prevent Christ from walking the earth again in us.

It was really refreshing to me to hear testimonies after each message which were not simply rehashes of what had been just been spoken. The testifying after the messages by so many dear ones came out of the experiences these dear ones had gone through with their Lord. These testimonies really enriched and uplifted the meetings in a way that is hard to describe.

Thanks to all the dear ones in Raleigh/Durham, NC, for putting together this wonderful time in the Lord.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
UntoHim

If there are any audio recordings of any of the conference sessions please let me know and we can get it posted here.

-
Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #20
kisstheson

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
If there are any audio recordings of any of the conference sessions please let me know and we can get it posted here.
-
Dear brother UntoHim, beloved of God,

I for one really believe that many dear ones would benefit greatly from hearing the recordings of these sessions. There really is a beautifully simple vision put forth in these messages that will be so fresh and eye-opening to many. Of course, the decision to allow which portions of these recordings to be posted is one that must be made by the dear ones meeting in Raleigh and Durham, NC.

-
Old 05-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #21
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisstheson View Post
Dear brother UntoHim, beloved of God,

I for one really believe that many dear ones would benefit greatly from hearing the recordings of these sessions. There really is a beautifully simple vision put forth in these messages that will be so fresh and eye-opening to many. Of course, the decision to allow which portions of these recordings to be posted is one that must be made by the dear ones meeting in Raleigh and Durham, NC.

-
I will check with the saints if they would have the liberty to have the CDs posted. I am fine with it.

If so, please keep in mind that the sharing was not meant to be a series of lectures or systematic teachings. The sharing was more of a conversation between the Scriptures and the saints with a moderator. You could say it was fellowship over the Word of God seeking light and life for all and for each one individually who were in attendance.

Hope, Don Rutledge

In Christ Jesus there is hope for us all!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
kisstheson

Quote:
I will check with the saints if they would have the liberty to have the CDs posted. I am fine with it.

If so, please keep in mind that the sharing was not meant to be a series of lectures or systematic teachings. The sharing was more of a conversation between the Scriptures and the saints with a moderator. You could say it was fellowship over the Word of God seeking light and life for all and for each one individually who were in attendance.

Hope, Don Rutledge

In Christ Jesus there is hope for us all!
Amen, dear brother Hope. Either way that you and the dear saints decide to go with this, we will certainly honor your decision.

As for me and my house, we are simply grateful that we could be there in person this past weekend, participating in the wonderful conversation between the Scriptures and the saints.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #23
Hope

Default Re: Conference

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Here is a brief notice regarding a conference we are having. If you would feel to share it with any others please feel free to do so.
To understand God’s Administration, it is vital to realize that God is a covenant making God. God promises and supplies but His people also have responsibility. It is common to pick up the responsibility and miss the promises and supply. It is also common to pick up the wonderful promises of God and the richness of the supply and miss the responsibility of the Lord’s people both individually and corporately.
Brothers and Sisters in Christ in Raleigh and Durham NC will be gathering starting on Friday evening at 7:00 PM on November 27th, and will continue on Saturday at 9:30 AM and 7:00 PM and on the Lord’s Day Morning at 9:30. We will be fellowshipping and searching the Word of God regarding our Covenant Relationship with our God and Savior.
We are inviting whoever would be interested to join us. We will have hospitality available with the saints and have also made arrangements with the motel where we will be holding the meetings.
Please let us know if you would be lead by the Lord to join us. You can email me, Don Rutledge, at dfr144@aol.com or call at 919-572-5395.
Please feel free to share this notice with any who may be interested in joining us.

Don Rutledge
Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #24
Hope

Default Re: Meetings in North Carolina

Dear Saints in Christ Jesus,

We will be having more fellowship next Saturday morning to continue to seek the Lord for our coming together Nov. 28-30.

At this point, we are clear to seek the Lord during those days regarding the Covenant relationship believers in Christ have with our Lord.

An excellent verse which addresses the three basic aspects of the New Covenant is Rom 4:16, For this reason it is by faith, that it might be in accordance with grace, in order that the promise may be certain to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all. NASB

Our responsibility is related to the “by faith.” We have an incredible supply for our responsibility that is, “in accordance with grace.” In the Scripture record, the vast bulk of the revelation is regarding the grace and the promise. For example consider Hebrews chapters 8-10. After detailed expounding on the New Covenant supply and promises then we come to our responsibility, Heb 10:22-25, Let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more, as you see the day drawing near. NASB

Some fellowship has been around having the four meetings focus on (1) The principle of the Covenant being central to our relationship to the Lord and for our daily walk. (2) Our responsibility to pray. (3) Our responsibility to participate in the gospel going to unbelievers. (4) Our responsibility to fight the spiritual warfare.

We do not have the definite leading of the Lord as yet. Please stand with us that we may experience the Son of Man walking among the golden lampstands and that we may have an ear to hear the Spirit’s speaking.

In Christ Jesus,
Old 11-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #25
countmeworthy

Default Re: Meetings in North Carolina

HOPE !
We want a most excellent report ok !?!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #26
kisstheson

Default Report from the First Conference Meeting

Hello dear ones,

My wife and I are very blessed to be here in Raleigh for the Conference during this holiday weekend. Tonight was the first Conference meeting.

The time of fellowship tonight was both very, very, encouraging, and very, very, sobering. The fellowship was centered around the marvelous phrase from the New Testament: "a new and living way" (as seen in Hebrews 10:19-20). We shared with one another verses containing precious promises of God and verses containing details of the surpassing riches of God's grace.

It is so encouraging and refreshing to see these two matters: God's promises and God's supply!! We went on to see that our response to God's promises and God's supply begins with faith and continues by faith. We then looked at some crucial warnings given to believers, and ended with the topic of God being real to each and every believer.

I appreciated that this was much more of a time of mutual fellowship based upon the Word of God, rather than a time where one "gifted member" speaks for 80-90 minutes based upon an outline full of fancy utterances. Receiving light by corporately digging into God's Word with so many dear brothers and sisters in Christ is a really precious experience!! We are overflowing with the joy of the Lord right now!!

Dear brother Steve Isitt is here! How wonderful to finally see dear brother Steve in person! Also, I have a message for dear brother manna-man and his father: Dear brother "Stan" from Ft. Lauderdale sends his greetings to both of you. He told me that I just needed to refer to him as "brother Stan from Fort Lauderdale" and you both would know who I mean.

All in all, tonight's meeting was a really encouraging, really enlightening, and really glorious beginning to the conference!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #27
awareness

Default Re: Report from the First Conference Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisstheson View Post
I have a message for dear brother manna-man and his father: Dear brother "Stan" from Ft. Lauderdale sends his greetings to both of you. He told me that I just needed to refer to him as "brother Stan from Fort Lauderdale" and you both would know who I mean.
Well I emailed this to both of them last night, and neither has responded. My guess is this is one of the elders that gave me the boot, Stan Ehrler (sp).

If this is the Stan I think it is, he's the only elder that was present at my royal booting, that apologized to me. Stan is a wonderful brother. Not just because he apologized to me, but because he's a humble brother that's real and honest. He was that way before becoming an elder, and that way afterwords. Being an elder didn't really fit him, at least not the type of elder to be under Mel Porter.

He was probably actually a real elder, because he doesn't but on airs. It's Mel Porter that shouldn't ever be in leadership. His only qualification was loyalty to Lee. Other than that, spiritually, Mel was an empty container...empty of all but ego. Lee chose him to be a a leading elder because birds of a feather flock together...and larceny calls to larceny.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #28
manna-man

Amen! Stan is the man! And there were many other wonderful saints that lived in our locality too which blessed me. Blessings to Stan the Man and all the saints attending the conference! Give my regards to Rodney! Also Mae and Susie. As well as The Ash family.

manna-man
manna-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #29
kisstheson

Thank you for your replies, dear brothers awareness and manna-man. My dear wife and I had a really good time of fellowship with dear brother Stan at lunch today. It is hard for me to express how much I enjoyed our time with Stan. It really was a precious time together in the Lord.

Dear brother Stan would love to hear from you brothers: awareness, hosepipe and manna-man. I have Stan's email address and I can send it to any one of you three who requests it via a Private Message.

Dear brother manna-man: I passed along your greetings to Rodney and Susie earlier today. I will seek out the others that you mentioned tomorrow morning in order to pass along your greetings to them as well.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
kisstheson

Default Report from the Second Conference Meeting

Hello again dear ones,

This morning's meeting was another time of mutual fellowship based upon the Word of God. Continuing along the line of "a new and living way", we looked at our responsibility, as believers, to pray.

We first looked at Matthew 6:9-10 to see how much depends upon our prayers! The honoring of His Name, the coming of His kingdom, and the accomplishing of His will on the Earth all depend on our prayers.

There were some very good points shared from the Scriptures which give practical help to our prayers: Our prayers should be for the Plan and Purpose of God and they should be for specific - naming both specific persons and specific petitions. Prayers which contain specific petitions for specific persons is really the heart of intercession.

We saw that continual, specific prayer is the greatest help in knowing the Lord and His will, as this allows us from experience to learn God's ways. We also looked at Scriptural reasons for why our prayers may not be answered and we concluded with a look at some model prayers in the New Testament.

Overall, it was another time of very simple fellowship from the Scriptures which was full of light and full of encouragement.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 AM   #31
kisstheson

Default Report from the Third Conference Meeting

Hello again dear ones, beloved of God,

Praise Him for a third time of very sweet mutual fellowship centered on His Word!

The burden in this third meeting was our responsibility, as believers, to proclaim the good news. I really appreciated the spirit of the fellowship in this meeting. The focus was still on "a new and living way"; as opposed to the old way of "dead letters". We were not putting each other under a legal requirement to preach the gospel; rather, our eyes were really opened to see the Power that comes with the speaking of God's Word! We saw clearly that our responsibility is to simply sow a simple seed of the Word of God with people, and then let the Power that is in the Word operate. Like the parable in the Gospel of Mark says, a man sowed some seed and then he went to lie down! When he arose, the seed had sprouted. How this sprouting took place, the man knew not. Dear ones, the Power is in the message, not in the messenger!!

By sharing just a little bit of the Word of God with others, the faith they lack actually comes with the message we speak! "So faith comes from hearing; and hearing by the word of Christ."

Without saying too much about dear brother Hope, I really do appreciate the humble, unassuming, way in which he moderates the fellowship. This has really helped to bring in such a sweet spirit of initimacy amongst all of us dear ones in the meetings! Hallejah!!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #32
awareness

Default Re: Report from the Third Conference Meeting

Amen bro KTS for the wonderful meetings. But tell me, is this an LSM sponsored conference, or a conference of those outside of LSM? Who's holding these meetings?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #33
manna-man

http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vB...6&postcount=15

Brother Harold,

Click on that link. Brother Don Rutledge says this is nothing to do with LSM. Or you can scroll down to message 15

And I would love Stan~the~mans email address.

manna-man
Old 11-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #34
manna-man

Talking Re: Way down South...

Quote:
THAT'S what I'm talkin bout!

-

UntoHim!

I'm with you. The saints meeting together under the LORDSHIP of non other than JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF!

No lee, No lsm and no isms!

Maybe one day we can simulcast a conference over the web!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #35
kisstheson

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
Amen bro KTS for the wonderful meetings. But tell me, is this an LSM sponsored conference, or a conference of those outside of LSM? Who's holding these meetings?
Hello dear brother awareness,

I apologize if I was not clear. The conference which my wife and I attended this past weekend in Raleigh, NC, was most definitely NOT an LSM-sponsored conference! The "official" LSM International Thanksgiving Weekend Conference was held in Indianapolis, Indiana. The sweet, precious, time of fellowship centered around God's Word we attended in Raleigh, NC, was about as different from an LSM-sponsored conference as you can get!

Dear brother Steve Isitt was with us in Raleigh. Needless to say, he would not be welcome at an LSM-sponsored conference!

I am really not the right person to present the history, but I will try. The dear ones in Raleigh, NC, and Durham, NC, who hosted the gathering this past weekend are dear ones who tried very hard to address the obvious drifting away from the truth and the practice of the truth which were manifested in the LC back in the late 1980's. For their troubles, they were cast out of the LC "synagogue". They did not break away; rather, they were cast out. All of them became persona non grata to those in the LC.

In addition to the dear ones from Raleigh and Durham, there were a good number of outsiders in attendance who are also persona non grata to those in the LC. I have already mentioned dear brother Steve Isitt and dear brother Stan.

I hope this helps, dear brother awareness. I must say that you and dear brothers hosepipe and manna-man are well-known to many who attened the gathering in Raleigh. All three of you are very fondly remembered by so many dear brothers and sisters!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #36
kisstheson

Default Report from the Fourth Conference Meeting

Hello once again, dear precious ones, beloved of God,

This post will be my last in this series, as it will cover the fourth, and last, conference meeting in Raleigh. I should state that in addition to the times of fellowship in the conference meetings, there was also a great deal of sweet fellowship both in the homes and during our meals together. To me, a real highlight of the weekend was the most enjoyable corporate lunch we had together on Saturday afternoon. We all ate together around several long tables at a marvelous Italian restaurant! That was some good food and some good fellowship! A real love feast!

The burden in this fourth meeting was our responsibility, as believers, to fight the spiritual warfare. This topic was covered in a very sober, balanced, way. We did not give undue credit and attention to Satan and his forces, and neither did we become paranoid, thinking that there is a demon lurking under every rock and around every corner. On the other hand, we allowed the Word of God to expose Satan's schemes against God's people, so that we would not be ignorant of his schemes (2 Cor. 2:11).

We saw that Satan has only a limited number of "plays" in his "playbook". His main scheme against us, of course, is to continually accuse us. Other schemes of his include causing his victims to become "enlightened" with a false enlightenment, and bringing about complications and befuddlements to lead us away from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.

We also looked at the schemes Satan uses to keep the people of this world blinded to the truth of Christ. We saw how important it is to fight the spiritual warfare when sharing the gospel with unbelievers.

We ended with some very practical fellowship from the Scriptures for fighting the spiritual warfare in our daily living.

I came away with a fresh appreciation for the victory which our Lord and King, Jesus Christ, has won for us, and for all His mighty provisions which equip us to fight the spiritual warfare. Hallelujah!

When we said good-bye to the dear saints in Raleigh yesterday, we definitely went on our way rejoicing!!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #37
manna-man

Default Re: Report from the Fourth Conference Meeting

Wow! Brother KTS!

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time rejoicing together! And with some dear saints to boot! I am encouraged that The LORD blessed you and all the saints there in Raleigh. I wish I could have been there! Was brother Mallon and John Ingalls there? If they were, I am really jealous now! LOL! I know brother Mallon was fond of many who were there.

Thank you so much for your reports and passing on our regards to the dear ones in the Carolinas!

Grace to you Brother,

manna-man
Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #38
Indiana

Default Re: The Church of Brotherly Love

The saints in Durham and Raleigh have brotherly love. They, as one Raleigh brother intimated, “have a little strength and have kept [the Lord’s word] and have not denied [His] name.”

www.Twoturmoils.com/ChurchofBrotherlyLove.pdf
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #39
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
The saints in Durham and Raleigh have brotherly love. They, as one Raleigh brother intimated, “have a little strength and have kept [the Lord’s word] and have not denied [His] name.”
But who are the "saints in Durham and Raleigh"? And what is meant when the phrases "kept the Lord's word" and "not denied His name" are used?

Before anyone gets my meaning wrong, I am not suggesting that the statement does not aptly apply to those who were in attendance at the recent conference and those of the various fellowships which they represented. Be joyous about the teaching and fellowship received/engaged in. Overflow in abundance.

But don't presume it to mean something unique to your fellowship or to be favored by God.

The question is "is there anyone else who is a saint in Durham and Raleigh."

Is there a view that what it is to do those things that were mentioned indicates some special position?

Is it missed that even the church in Philadelphia was exhorted to "overcome"? Or is it missed that the church in Sardis was not a "defective" church (like the RCC views all of Protestantism) but one that faced obstacles. That there was nothing so outstandingly negative to be pointed out is not indicated as a feather in the cap of Philadelphia. And those in Thyatira were not encouraged to move to Philadelphia.

The purpose of this is not to raise anyone's view of any person or group, but to suggest that even when there is the appearance of Philadelphia, it is good not to think more highly of one's self than one ought. Neither to think more lowly of (or debase) one's self. And not to pitchfork the warning to Pergamum as not relevant to you who think you are in Philadelphia. Yes, the letter that was sent to Philadelphia was specifically to them. But it was also recorded in a common writing with the other six letters and seen by all. Why? Not so the others could gloat over not having those problems, but so that all would be alert to the reality of opposition from both without and within. And to expect that such would arise.

So. Who are the "saints in Durham and Raleigh"? I hope this is not another relic of the errors of the LC that designate certain ones more highly than others?
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #40
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
But who are the "saints in Durham and Raleigh"? And what is meant when the phrases "kept the Lord's word" and "not denied His name" are used?
Hello Mike,

Spiritual Pride is a real killer. Matt 5:3, Blessed are the poor in spirit. This verse is a good launching point for your thread on "the blessing."

I do not know what exactly the brother said who spoke with Indianna. But I would afirm that we do not have much strength. Our only boast in in Christ. We do aspire to keep His Word and to not deny His Name. We have a long long way to go.

If you desire to use the church in Philadelphia motif, then we must honor, respect and lift up all who have believed in our wonderful savior. Who knows how many saints are in Durham and Raleigh?

We work with and support others who have never been to any of our meetings and we do not have such an ambition to merely recruit.

Some among us have worked with Campus Crusaide, and other campus groups.

Others have worked with various rescue missions.

Others have financially supported missionaries from different denominations and free groups.

Some visit the sick and have an ongoing function of visiting them though they have never been to our meetings.

During the last few years, tens of thousands of dollars have been given to SAINTS who have never had anything to do with the LSM, the LC or support us in anyway.

Some are supporting needy people who are not believers as yet.

Being some type of loyal participant or holding to some set of doctrines is not a standard we hold for fellowship.

It does seem that we must bear the burden of having once been associated with WL etc. and with the assumption that whatever errors or faults were there may very well be ours today.

Numerous times after a period of very good fellowship or working together to share the gospel or meet the needs of others, I have been pulled aside by an onlooker and given the third degree regarding the past. It reminds me of the blacklisting during the early 50s of anyone who had once attended any kind of meeting of a group with some association with the communist party. Even those who were merely friends of people who had some obtuse relationship with the american communist party were blacklisted if they were not willing to publicly denounce their friend and give a list of all their associates.

We have had no association with the LSM for 20 years. I have not read their literature since 1987 nor attended any function they have sponsored. But some want me to wear the scarlet letters WL, LSM, LC.

Mike, please come and visit. You are welcome. You will be received as our dear brother and we would hope you would have the liberty to share what you have from the Lord be it a word of encouragement or rebuke.

A believer in Christ Jesus,

Hope
Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #41
OBW

Don,

Great answer. And I expected no less from you. Surely we all fail at some level. Yet at some level we all succeed.

But I already knew about your general involvement beyond your own small gathering and your attitude toward the others. My question was to awaken any who have not challenged their notion that there is some special blessing (oh no; not "blessing" again) on certain ones that is not available to others. And when I see references to "the saints" in a less than open and inclusive way, it suggests to me at least a vestige of the old thinking.

I do not think that Steve (who said it) thinks it quite like he did before. But the habit of naming some in such a manner as being "saints" or "Philadelphia" and not others suggests a lingering thought that should be explored.

Are not we all saints? Do we not find ourselves sometimes in an experience of brotherly love when everything is AOK, then later find ourselves in a taxi riding through the slums of Laodicea or Smyrna?

I know your answer without hearing it. You have said these things before and I believe it fully. I am also pretty sure that the experience in the conference was very "Philadelphia" in nature. And you have told us before how very much like my place, IBC, your group (extending to those who are not in your actual assembly) is in moving from a purely theological, apologetic, evangelistic existence into one that expresses love to all the "neighbors," even the unsaved, often without making them endure a gospel message in return. How far we have come from the thought that "church" is not intended to be a public charity. It has been suggested that it was the abandonment of such charitable activities by the fundamental/evangelical branches of Christianity that has lead to much of the decline in society and the creation of the nanny state. (But to heck with them all. We're just here for Christ and the Church!!!!)

And that is the reason that I respond to you in this way. There should be no thought of "once associated always associated" as some have wanted to say. We should all hold our heads high and tell our brethren who still meet with the Church in Raleigh (there is one, right?) or the Church in Irving that we spent the past evening at a homeless shelter passing out food or blankets, or having a fellowship with some from various assemblies and we talked about grace and mercy, helped a friend with a hard personal issue, prayed about "low" things like our health and the direction of the country. And declare that Jesus really does changes lives as our change from what we were as members of the LCs should demonstrate.

I would love to have some way to come see you sometime. This holiday season is given to a trip to Baltimore for the wedding of our first to a lovely young lady from that area. They met here at the seminary and will become man and wife on December 30. Pray for them and rejoice with us all!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #42
Hope

Tonight we are having a special event for our gospel friends, the Bhutanese refugees. We will have a Thanksgiving meal for them. There will be about 25-30 of the Bhutanese and about the same number of believers. We will have food that is American, East Indian, Chinese, and Bhutanese.

The sister who has arranged this is a German lady who spent three years in the refugee camps with these folks. She has secured a good facility at a Presbyterian church for the event. Her name is Frauke. She is fluent in their language and is truly a great blessing from the Lord to them. Another key player is Amar. He was an orphan in Nepal in a Christian orphanage. He came to Durham about 20 years ago. He is a strong believer. He speaks the language as his native language and has a heart for these people that is so big and caring. There are a few others such as Diana and Dave who spend hours every week caring for their needs and sharing the love of Christ and the good news with them. Through these believers it is so easy to see that truly God does so love the world.

I will give a very brief sharing on the story of Thanksgiving. The story is quite a stirring testimony of God’s work. I was inspired by what happen while I prepared. I will pass out the attached one page account. While we will not have a direct gospel message, we are praying that the facts of the testimony of the pilgrims will work in the hearts of our friends.

Hope

Here is the handout:
----------------------------------------------------------------

God’s New Covenant
Heb 8:10-12, This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after that time, declares the Lord. I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

The Story of Thanksgiving

In England in the early 1600s, the Church of England was the official state religion. If you were born an Englishman you were born into the Church of England. A small group of believers in Jesus Christ in the city of Scrooby in Nottinghamshire, England desired to follow the New Covenant of the New Testament. That is they did not believe they needed the strict religious ceremonies of the Church of England and its special priest class but rather they could know God directly for themselves. They believed they could pray directly to God and that through Jesus Christ they were forgiven of their sins and did not need the ceremonies of the Church of England for their sins to be forgiven.
During the Hampton Court Conference, King James I had declared them and others to be undesirable, and, in 1607 Tobias Matthew, Archbishop of York, raided homes and imprisoned several members of the congregation. The congregation then left England and immigrated to the Netherlands, first to Amsterdam and then to Leiden, in 1609.

The Pilgrims were still not free from the persecutions of the English Crown; in 1618, English authorities came to Leiden to arrest one of their leaders William Brewster. Though Brewster escaped arrest, the events spurred the congregation to move even farther from England.
They secured a ship, the May Flower and after much delay they left on September 6, 1620 for the New World. There were around 120 persons in total. They had an agreement from a trading company to settle at the mouth of the Hudson River along the shore of what is now New Jersey. But due to bad weather the ship landed much further north in what is New England close to where Boston is now located. They landed on November 11, 1620.

They found an area where the forest had already been cleared, by whom they did not know. They built a few cabins but about half of their number died during the very hard winter. Then in the early spring they experienced a wonderful miracle. A single Indian named Squanto came to their little village. He could speak English. He was the only survivor of a tribe that had lived on the very spot they had settled.
Squanto as a young boy had been captured by English explorers and taken to England. He lived there for about 12 years and became a believer in Jesus Christ. The family for whom he worked in England arranged for him to be returned to his home in 1619. When he arrived, he learned that the entire tribe had died of a plague the year before.

Squanto taught the pilgrims how to farm in the new world and when to plant. As a result they harvested 20 acres of Indian corn that fall. Squanto also introduced the pilgrims to other Indian tribes and they thus had peace with the Indians for over 50 years. The pilgrims were so happy and joyful that God had saved them and provided for them in such a wonderful way that they called for a celebration of thanks. They invited their Indian friends and prepared a feast of both English and Indian food. They especially offered thanks to God for His care and provision for them and that they were now free to know and worship God as they desired.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #43
Hope

Default Re: Gospel Friends from Nepal

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Tonight at my home we had a total of 28 gospel friends along with six saints and two of their children. Our living room was packed and people were gathered on the stairs.

We shared a brief message on Jesus the Savior from Matt 1:21-23.

May His word not return void.

Hope
Old 12-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #44
OBW

Quote:
Tonight at my home we had a total of 28 gospel friends along with six saints and two of their children. Our living room was packed and people were gathered on the stairs.
I must presume that "gospel friend" means someone unsaved (as far as you know)? You've probably stated this before and I just missed it or forgot.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #45
Hope

Quote:
I must presume that "gospel friend" means someone unsaved (as far as you know)? You've probably stated this before and I just missed it or forgot.
A gospel friend is an unsaved or unbelieving person with whom you are cultivating a relationship and for whom you pray for their salvation. When you have a get together with several of the folks with whom you have a personal relationship and some of their acquaintances and everyone knows that during the time there will be some sharing on faith in Jesus Christ that is a gospel friends meeting. The focus is on treating them with warmth and respect and meeting their need at their level and readiness to hear the good news of Jesus Christ. Some Christian groups have what they call "A Seekers Meeting" which is for unbelievers who are interested in learning more about faith in Christ.

This approach is somewhat low key versus a pure gospel meeting or gospel campaign.

Good works and practical expressions of the love of Christ along with genuine interest in the people are the critical factors of a gospel friends work and meetings.

Hope
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #46
OBW

Quote:
A gospel friend is an unsaved or unbelieving person with whom you are cultivating a relationship and for whom you pray for their salvation. When you have a get together with several of the folks with whom you have a personal relationship and some of their acquaintances and everyone knows that during the time there will be some sharing on faith in Jesus Christ that is a gospel friends meeting. The focus is on treating them with warmth and respect and meeting their need at their level and readiness to hear the good news of Jesus Christ. Some Christian groups have what they call "A Seekers Meeting" which is for unbelievers who are interested in learning more about faith in Christ.

This approach is somewhat low key versus a pure gospel meeting or gospel campaign.

Good works and practical expressions of the love of Christ along with genuine interest in the people are the critical factors of a gospel friends work and meetings.

Hope
In the other forum, someone complained that 1 Corinthians 13 was almost worthless. Here is the reason that it is so much more than the chapters surrounding it. For all the things Paul said in chapters 12 and 14 that can be made into legalism, chapter 13 shows the "more excellent way."

I'm so happy to see real love for neighbor in action. This is not so much an example of "how to" but of the attitude of Christ toward the fallen world around him as he ministered on earth. Many harsh words for the religious and nothing but love for the worst of the sinners.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #47
Hope

Default Re: Way down South! - Discussions & Concerns South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Hello Friends and fellow believers,

We have a gospel friends meeting every other Lord's Day evening in our home. Tonight we had 26 guests including a new couple from Sri Lanka. They are Buddists.

After our meal, then singing and sharing, an entire family of four Hindu's asked to receive Christ. They declared they wanted to believe in Jesus. A cousin who had recieved the Lord asked them to kneel in the middle of the living room. They did so in front of all the others. I prayed, the cousin prayed and then a brother I have mentioned before who came from Nepal 20 years ago led them all to pray. They all prayed and were joyful to have received the Lord and to have made it public in front of the others. It may just have been me, but it seemed this demonstration of receiving Christ touched several others. Being able to go against the Hindu community has been a big barrier. Perhaps this will be the break through needed. Counting these four there are now ten among us from the Hindu community who have believed in Jesus Christ as the son of God and received Him as their Savior. Two others, who were saved last year, have moved to other places in the USA.

We are also gradually gaining more believers from various churches and denominations to join in various ways to labor in this gospel endeavor. It is trully wonderful to fellowship with believers regarding the spread of the good news of Jesus Christ without any motives of recruiting members for a religious organization or movement.

Several months ago we in Durham felt to have our Lord's Day morning gathering and breaking of bread in Durham. We began to meet in my home about six months ago.

I am amazed at what the Lord is doing. One couple, who is from China, has a Friday night Bible study in his home for Chinese speaking students etc. Several have received the Lord and been baptized. Two have become regular on the Lord's Day morning. Another Chinese sister comes fairly regularly. Five of the Butanese attend regularly. Two weeks ago there were 23 altogether in my great room. We have had up to 25 in the last few weeks.

This morning some were out of town or working and we had 16 total. Only Sheryl and I, my son and daughter-in-law and one brother were in the old LC that many of you were familar with.

There is a leading of the Lord for us to join with Raleigh for a week-end gathering on the week-end of Oct. 23rd. There has been some fellowship regarding "the Headship of Christ."

May the Lord bless you all.

Your brother in Christ,

Hope
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #48
UntoHim

Default Re: Way down South! - Discussions & Concerns South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Good news from Way down South!

When we read the New Testament and look back at history we should know that the Church should the true "melting pot". At the beginning in Acts 2 - "And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs, we hear them in our own tongues speaking of the mighty deeds of God." Then at the end we shall see the same - "and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation" (Revelation 5:9) So what is supposed to happen in the eons in between these two passages? I think this is exactly what brother Hope and those with him are experiencing. Praise God for this.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #49
countmeworthy

EXCELLENT PRAISE REPORT brother Hope!

More jewels on your crown to God be the Glory !!
Thanks for sharing !

Quote:
Hello Friends and fellow believers,

We have a gospel friends meeting every other Lord's Day evening in our home. Tonight we had 26 guests including a new couple from Sri Lanka. They are Buddists.

After our meal, then singing and sharing, an entire family of four Hindu's asked to receive Christ.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #50
Cal

Wonderful news, Hope! Praise God!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #51
Hope

Default Re: An update

Dear Fellow Believers,

I felt to give a little update to my post on 8/22/2010.

Jesus is Lord. His ways are truly wonderful. The Lord continues to bring people into a saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus.

On the Lord’s Day following my last post, the family I mentioned which knelt in the living room and prayed came to the Lord’s Table meeting. These dear one have zero Christian background. As they beheld the bread and wine their eyes were like saucers. Under my breath, I cried out to the Lord, “What do we do?” “How do we help them?” The Lord gave a very simple explanation that ministered to us all including me.

We have been forced to seek the Lord day by day for how we should care for those with us. We have ages from children to over 80. Some are from China. Some are from Nepal. Some are just Americans. We have PhDs and illiterate refugees. Some canned message or outline just will not suffice.

There are four different meetings that have become a focus for the gospel, discipleship, and fellowship to meet the current needs. There are some very faithful saints among us who labor daily to meet the needs of one another and especially the new believers and dear ones we desire to see saved in Christ.

A month ago, it became so clear that many among us were very pressed with many worries and cares. The Lord led one of the brothers to minister much help regarding casting our cares on the Lord and trusting Him in faith.
One of the new sisters, a post PHD scholar at one of the Universities here, shared the following: “Before I became a believer in Jesus Christ, I worried about everything. But now I worry if I am doing God’s will.” We all felt the Lord was leading us to spend some time together in the Bible seeking Him regarding “Knowing the Will of the Lord.” So far the Lord has met us and rendered us all help and new light regarding knowing the Lord’s will in all we do.

This morning 30 crowded in my great room. At least half a dozen who are coming were out due to work or travel. I would suppose that the saints are caring for another 50 or so who live in this area.

One of the very first of the refugees to receive Christ, Raj, recently moved to Fargo ND. He has relatives there who need assistance. He felt that God was leading him there. He is burdened to bring them and other refugees to Christ. He called one of the older sisters this week. He told her that in Fargo they have “The World Relief Organization” and a lady to give food stamps but they do not have (and he began to name the saints). He told her that he is very homesick and has no Christian fellowship. The sister immediately got on the internet. She found a Christian fellowship in Fargo which declared that they would receive and care for all. She emailed them and told them about Raj etc and what we had been doing here. She asked if they would reach out to them. Within a day she got a reply that they would care for Raj. Praise the Lord. May the Lord lead you to pray for Raj. There are 500 refugees from Nepal in Fargo. Raj may be the only believer in Jesus Christ. May the gospel spread through the entire community.

This morning we had a very sweet experience of the members of the Body of Christ caring for one another. Another of the new sisters who is also a post doc scholar sent word that she was preparing a very important research paper and was under much stress. She asked if we would pray for her. The refugees, some who are illiterate, prayed earnestly for her. I was very touched that such a highly educated person would desire the prayers of her brothers and sisters, folks that the world would not give the time of day.

The Lord has been good beyond my dreams. He is real and is still working among men today. Pray for us.

Hope
Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #52
Hope

Default Re: The Gospel is spreading

Today one of the sisters with whom we meet called to give a wonderful gospel report. This sister D.C. is truly a Christ filled person who has poured out her heart and possessions and the good news of Jesus Christ to the Bhutanese refugees among us.

Here in Durham there are about 60 refugees. Twelve have made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ but we believe others are very close or have in their heart received Christ but have been intimidated by some of the older ones who cling to the Hindu religion.

One young lady, Chandra, came often on Sunday evening to hear the gospel. Sister D.C. also cared much for her in many ways and often shared about the savior Christ who lived in her and was the factor behind the love Chandra had come to see in D.C. and the other believers.

Chandra married a young Bhutanese man from Baltimore about three months ago. There are about 1,000 of the Bhutanese refugees in Baltimore. Sister D.C. gave Chandra a Nepali language Bible and urged her to read it.

Today Chandra and her new husband rode a bus nine hours to see D. C. The husband was so excited to see D.C. At first he declared to our sister that you are a God. D. C. told him no but she did have Jesus Christ living in her. The husband replied that was what he meant. His wife had been telling him about Jesus and how she, Chandra, had also believed in Jesus and how Jesus lived in her. She has been reading the Bible and sharing about Jesus with him. He told our sister that he too wants to believe in Jesus and have Jesus live in him just as Jesus lives in his wife.

He urged D.C. to come to Baltimore and spend time with him and his wife and the other refugees.

I wrote previously about the new brother Raj who had moved to Fargo N.D. He believed that the Lord was sending him there and he has also invited D.C. and her husband to come and share the gospel.

It is so marvelous to see these brand new believers going out and sharing their new found faith and joy which they have in Christ Jesus.

Pray for Chandra, her husband and for the Lord’s leading for D.C. and her husband.

A Believer in Christ Jesus,
Hope
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #53
Hope

Greeting Dear Ones in Christ,

Some have expressed an interest in the Lord’s doings here among us. I trust it is acceptable if I give a little update.

As we are laboring in the field the Lord has placed us in, more believers are coming forward to take up a common desire for the gospel to reach the new comers, (refugees), in our community. One new family, the mother and her four children, but no husband, arrived about two months ago. They were in great need and several believers have risen up to help. They have come to several gospel friends meetings and this week the mother told the brother who has labored faithfully with them and does the translating at the gospel meeting that she wanted to believe in Jesus. He felt she should make a public profession before the others. Pray that this Lord’s Day evening she will be able to make a public commitment to receive Christ and forsake the Hindu idols.

A family of four that recently declared their faith in Christ before their fellow Bhutanese may need to move to Atlanta where they have relatives in the midst of a community of refugees that numbers around 5,000. We have been spending three to four times a week with them in the word and prayer. They are very new but it could be that they are seeds being sown into the community in Atlanta.

Four weeks ago another new family appeared. They are already believers in Christ. They are a great addition to the fellowship. This Lord’s Day morning, as the bread and wine was being passed, the father knelt to pray. He prayed in Napalie and none of us had any idea of the meaning of his phrases but his spirit lifted us all into the presence of the Lord. After his prayer we sang, Lord prepare us to be your sanctuary. I had a new realization of what the Lord was building. There were around 30-35 of us. Some were very new in their faith. Some had been believers for 40 years. Some were very much unlearned and two were not yet professing believers. It is virtually impossible to have a well ordered one, two, three meeting or service. We cannot cater to the older stronger ones but must seek to meet the need of every one of the Lord’s dear ones. Praise Him, He is faithful to His own. I hardly know how to take the next step but He is leading.

Hope
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #54
manna-man

Amen Brother Hope!

Those Bhutanese people are precious and I haven't forgotten them. I pray for them daily as I do for the saints in Raleigh and Durham who are laboring at great sacrifice for these dear ones.

Until I can come up with words to describe my experience in Raliegh. I will offer up two words. AMEN! and WOW!

Much love to the saints in Raleigh and Durham!

Don Jr.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #55
Hope

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus,

I just read the posts on the thread, “Where Have you Gone?” I was stirred to give another little report of the Lord’s wonderful grace here in Durham.

On Tuesday evening, we have a small home gathering for the new believers and refugees on some basic matters. Last night 12 gathered in a small apartment and sat on the carpet with their Napalie Bibles eager to know more about our wonderful Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

During the two previous weeks we fellowshiped that to believe in Jesus is to receive Jesus and the unique test for being in the faith is to know that Christ Jesus is in you. (John 1:12 and 2 Cor. 13:5) Among the Hindus there is the natural thought that they must understand all there is to Christianity before they can believe. Some have been so happy to learn that all they need to do is receive Him.

Last night we continued with this under the topic that A Christian is one who has been forgiven of His or Her sins. Below is the brief outline and verses we used.

Basis Facts of Being a Christian

A Christian is One who has been Forgiven of His or Her Sins

I.

God’s great love toward mankind led Him to send Jesus that we could be forgiven of our sins.

1 Tim 1:15, It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners .

Rom 5:8, But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners , Christ died for us.

II. When we believe in Jesus our sins are forgiven.

Acts 10:43, "Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins."

Col 2:13, And when you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions.

Mark 2:4, And Jesus seeing their faith said to the paralytic, "My son, your sins are forgiven.”

Acts 13:38, "Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through Him forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.”

III. We care for all the other Christians because they like us have been forgiven by God.

Eph 4:32, And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

1 John 2:12, I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for His name's sake.

IV. We advance in our Christian Life because we can be forgiven everyday. We must practice confessing our sins.1 John 1:9, If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 11/9/2010

When we reached the third point it seemed the presence of the Lord became very strong. After I had finished, the brother Amar who translates and has been here for 20 years, committed to me that this was a very timely word. He knew of some friction and internal problems among those in the room. He shared that they must forgive one another and ask the Lord for His forgiveness. Several prayed. I could not understand a word of the prayers but the repentance and requests for the Lord’s forgiveness was so clear as they prayed. Thank the Lord for such a wonderful and gracious visitation and response from those present.

Hope
Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #56
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
III. We care for all the other Christians because they like us have been forgiven by God.

Eph 4:32, And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

1 John 2:12, I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for His name's sake.

When we reached the third point it seemed the presence of the Lord became very strong. After I had finished, the brother Amar who translates and has been here for 20 years, committed to me that this was a very timely word. He knew of some friction and internal problems among those in the room. He shared that they must forgive one another and ask the Lord for His forgiveness. Several prayed. I could not understand a word of the prayers but the repentance and requests for the Lord’s forgiveness was so clear as they prayed. Thank the Lord for such a wonderful and gracious visitation and response from those present.

Hope
Thank you for the uplifting testimony
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #57
Hope

Dear Ones, Believers in the most wonderful Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,

My wife and I attended a most wonderful gathering tonight.

I have share a little about the labor with the refugees from Bhutan. Other believers have gradually been coming forward to care for them. Tonight, Diana arranged for folks from five different congregations to gather to share their burden and labor with the Bhutanese and to look to the Lord for how we could coordinate together. It was truly inspiring to partake of the oneness we have in Christ for the sake of the gospel and His testimony to the lost world.

During the prayer two brothers from different fellowships prayed that we could function as the Body of Christ under the Lord’s headship. One prayed that we would be what the Lord desired as the church in Durham functioning together. Another referenced John 17 in his prayer.

Hope
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #58
Hope

Default Re: Two more new believers in Christ Jesus

Dear Believers in Christ Jesus,

Tonight two more of the Bhutanese Refugees joined the family of God.

Tonight at the gospel friends gathering in my home there were about 20 of the Bhutanese. About half were believers, some who have become believers right in my living room and some who were believers when they arrived in Durham from the UN camp in Nepal.

Normally there are a few Americans and a few Chinese at these gathering but tonight only Sheryl, I and one American brother were in attendance. So the Bhutanese gathered in a tight circle sitting on the rug in the center of the room. We had the meeting so to speak “Bhutanese style.”

After I shared a brief gospel word three of the Bhutanese and one sister shared, urged and compelled that the non-believers repent of their false gods and receive the one true God, Jesus Christ, the One and Only Way.

A lady and her 15 years old daughter knelt and prayed strongly to receive Jesus as their Savior, Lord and only true God.

This morning 35 crowed into the great room where we assemble. There was a beautiful bouquet of different races who were now in the One New Man. We also had four who were on the way to becoming believers.

We sang a song written by my daughter-in-law, “You are Faithful.” One of the lines goes: “Though my life, through each day You’ve been there though I stray. Thank You Lord, You’ve been faithful to me.”

Another line states: “Through each age You have shown how Your plan for Your own You’ll fulfill, for You’re faithful, Oh Lord.”

As we sang, prayed, testified and rejoiced it seemed the Lord was speaking that song directly to my heart.

Hope
Old 11-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #59
manna-man

Default Way,way down south!

Quote:
Dear Believers in Christ Jesus,

Tonight two more of the Bhutanese Refugees joined the family of God....
Amen brother!

That is great news!

Where we met Lords day,

Three were baptized. One young lady fresh from China, a student, only been here aprox 3 months! Also two young Americans as well!

Thank you Lord! Your Love endures forever!

Jr.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #60
Hope

Manna-Man,

Your post has given my day a turbo charge. How great is our God!!! The angels are rejoicing over those three and so are we.

Hope
Old 11-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #61
manna-man

Quote:
Manna-Man,

Your post has given my day a turbo charge. How great is our God!!! The angels are rejoicing over those three and so are we.

Hope

Amen brother!

Also, My son Matthew was encouraged to be baptized this coming weekend. He is sixteen now and never was baptized. I request that All who read this pray for him that he is strengthened by The Holy Spirit and doesn't shrink back in fear. But is encouraged with boldness in Him who is able to lead him in tenderness and mercy.

I thank God for Titus Chu's sister who had the leading and boldness to talk to him.

Grace is better,

Jr.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #62
Hope

Default Re: Nine new believers baptized today,

Dear Believers in Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior,

Today nine new believers were baptized. They were eager to put the past behind and walk in newness of life.

Seven were recent converts among the Bhutanese. They have turned from the vain idols of the Hindus. They were baptized before several from their community. Some of the witnesses were young people who have believed in their hearts in the Lord Jesus but due to parents and family have not had the courage to come forward and confess their faith publicly. This demonstration may help them.

A Believer in Christ Jesus, the Lord

Hope
Old 11-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #63
Indiana

Default Re: Nine new believers baptized today,

Quote:
Dear Believers in Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior,

Today nine new believers were baptized. They were eager to put the past behind and walk in newness of life.

Seven were recent converts among the Bhutanese. They have turned from the vain idols of the Hindus. They were baptized before several from their community. Some of the witnesses were young people who have believed in their hearts in the Lord Jesus but due to parents and family have not had the courage to come forward and confess their faith publicly. This demonstration may help them.

A Believer in Christ Jesus, the Lord

Hope

This is wonderful news! both from Hope and manna-man. Praise the Lord!
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #64
Toledo
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Goodness! It's hard not to be encouraged. Our God reigns.

Ps 66:12 Thou didst make men ride over our heads; We went through fire and through water; Yet Thou didst bring us out into a place of abundance.
Toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #65
Hope

Toledo,

Ps. 66:12 if a very special verse to me. Shortly after separating from the LSM etc during a time of discouragement the Lord gave me this verse. I have rejoiced in it many times since.

Hope
Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #66
Hope

I have mentioned in recent posts that the Lord has stirred up believers in other fellowship to assist along with us in the labor among the Bhutanese refugees. Today we received a $1,000 check from a group in Durham, "Christian Assembly." This is a testamony of the Lord's ourpoured love for people.

It is so refreshing to labor with others with no territorial ambitions being manifested.

Tomorrow evening we will be getting together with the five other groups to fellowship and report on the labor among these needy folks.

Hope
Old 12-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #67
OBW

While I am not given to speaking in superlatives and tripping all over myself in praise of much of anything, I find this account exceptional.

Or maybe not as exceptional as it seems. I am not diminishing the account, but noting that there is a growing trend for the true church — the body of Christ that is often busy within its various assemblies — to ignore the irrelevant differences that in the past kept them apart and work together in the unity of faith and in the gospel. I have seen it in the Dallas area, not only in things in which our assembly is engaged, but in many others. I hear reports from other parts of the country. And now in these days I have been hearing of it from Raleigh-Durham.

Maybe it is becoming the rule and the exception is the group that hides behind its wall and pretends that the rest of their brothers and sisters do not really exist. As I see more and more of these examples, I realize that James really had it right. If you truly believe Jesus, then it will show in your life. If there is nothing to see, then there is a big question mark on your belief.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #68
Hope

Quote:
While I am not given to speaking in superlatives and tripping all over myself in praise of much of anything, I find this account exceptional.

Or maybe not as exceptional as it seems. I am not diminishing the account, but noting that there is a growing trend for the true church — the body of Christ that is often busy within its various assemblies — to ignore the irrelevant differences that in the past kept them apart and work together in the unity of faith and in the gospel. I have seen it in the Dallas area, not only in things in which our assembly is engaged, but in many others. I hear reports from other parts of the country. And now in these days I have been hearing of it from Raleigh-Durham.

Maybe it is becoming the rule and the exception is the group that hides behind its wall and pretends that the rest of their brothers and sisters do not really exist. As I see more and more of these examples, I realize that James really had it right. If you truly believe Jesus, then it will show in your life. If there is nothing to see, then there is a big question mark on your belief.

Hello Mike,

No need to trip over yourself with praise. We can only thank the Lord Jesus for our salvation and His continual love toward us and toward the world. We all are vessels of mercy.

We can praise how real Jesus Christ is as He works in the hearts of strangers to come together under His headship to meet the needs of others and witness how the Spirit moves in the hearts of men to believe in the Lord Jesus.

In Christ Jesus,

Hope
Old 12-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #69
Hope

Default Re: The conviction of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of men

Dear fellow believers in Christ Jesus,

This morning we were blessed by the Lord’s speaking and the work of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of men.

Toward the end of our gathering a new sister, [believed and baptized in the last 6 weeks] stood up to share. She shared how she had come to the USA and felt she could never believe in Jesus. But now she has believed in Jesus and she is so happy and she will forever believe in Jesus.

There was a new family in the gathering. They had just arrived this week. All we knew was that they were not believers in Jesus. The father rose to speak immediately after the sister. He declared that he was a Hindu and a leader among the Hindus. But since he came this morning and has seen the love among us, he has decided he wants to become a believer in Jesus.

After the group meeting, he pulled me aside with his family and told me that he had a large family still in Nepal that was coming in 3-4 months. He said he wanted his entire family to become believers in Jesus and asked me to pray for them all regarding their move and becoming believers in Jesus.

Hope
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #70
Suannehill

Praise our Lord!
Suannehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #71
Hope

Default Re: The Rest of the story

Dear fellow believers,

In my post I forgot to share a marvelous detail. After our prayer for the salvation of the entire Hindu family, I shared the following with them:

(Just before we prayed the dear young brother who translates told me that the family had only received $50 from the relief agency and it was gone and they had no food. On Saturday I received a check for $100 from a sister who lives near Charlotte and designated for the new arrivals from Nepal.)

So I gave the new family $100 in cash and told them that Jesus had already sent money for them and shared that a gift had been received the day before designated for them. The young brother fought back tears while the new family broke into giant smiles and exclaimations of rejoicing and thanksgiving.

I am still a little stunned. What I witnessed first hand is something like I would have only expected to read about. All praise to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Hope
Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #72
manna-man

Default Re: The Rest of the story

Quote:
Dear fellow believers,

In my post I forgot to share a marvelous detail. After our prayer for the salvation of the entire Hindu family, I shared the following with them:

(Just before we prayed the dear young brother who translates told me that the family had only received $50 from the relief agency and it was gone and they had no food. On Saturday I received a check for $100 from a sister who lives near Charlotte and designated for the new arrivals from Nepal.)

So I gave the new family $100 in cash and told them that Jesus had already sent money for them and shared that a gift had been received the day before designated for them. The young brother fought back tears while the new family broke into giant smiles and exclaimations of rejoicing and thanksgiving.

I am still a little stunned. What I witnessed first hand is something like I would have only expected to read about. All praise to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Hope
Wonderful Counselor! Mighty God! Everlasting Father! Prince of Peace!
His Authority shall grow continually, and there shall be endless Peace!

Praise The Lord! for such a good report!

Don Jr.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #73
Hope

Default Re: An update as of 1-09-2011

Dear fellow believers in our most wonderful Lord Jesus Christ,

I have shared a little regarding the work with the gospel here in Durham, NC and our gospel friends meeting on the Lord’s Day evenings.

More and more of the refugees from Nepal are coming to this gathering as well as others including dear believers who do not meet with us but are burdened and concerned that the Good News of Jesus Christ reach the lost world all around us.

Last night we were literally overflowing the house. My daughter-in-law, Jenny, was able to count 48 adults but she said she could not see everyone. In addition there were 12 children by my wife’s estimate.
At least 15 were unbelieving friends.

About 15 of the new believers from Nepal and some from Nepal who were already believers sat on the living room floor and sang songs and chorus’ in Nepalese to the Lord. I could only close my eyes and worship the Lord and bask in His presents as these dear ones sang their hearts out while their friends and unbelieving visitors observed. Two former Hindu leaders who have been saved in the last month joined in the singing. The new brother who had been a main leader among them leaned his head back and closed his eyes as he sang and opened his heart to his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

(Two of the new comers were ladies originally from Nepal, not refugees, who were educated in Germany and established here in the USA. They only live about 5 blocks from us. They had meant one of the participants and accepted the invitation to come.)

After the sharing of the gospel from the Word, some asked for prayer requests. About 20 of us knelt in the middle of the room and prayed for the requests. While we prayed, I could hear an American brother sharing with one of the ladies about receiving the Lord. She told him she had decided that she would believe in Jesus. While we prayed for the needs presented to us, I could hear her praying to receive the Lord.

After the large group prayer ended, the brand new sister called her sister to speak with the American brother. The second sister also prayed to receive the Lord. After this our time in the home continued with much informal fellowship and sharing. Several were able to encourage the brand new sisters and I can testify the Lord’s presence was so pure and so sweet as love flowed from one to another and from the believing ones to the precious friends whom we believe are on the way to believing.

A sister who took some pictures during a recent gathering which was for baptism has begun to email them to me. Perhaps I will be able to post some.

Your Brother in Christ Jesus,

Hope
Old 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #74
manna-man

Here is a PDF Bible translated into Napali. The internet is amazing!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #75
Hope

The Lord continues to show his reality and power in the lives of the new believers among the Bhutanese refugees from Nepal.

This morning one of the American sisters was sharing about a missionary couple in Japan whom she had been helping and supporting for some time. She was sharing in light of the recent terrible tragedy there. This couple is sponsored by the Free Will Missionary Baptist Association. Their support has been cut in half and they are experiencing many hardships as they seek to bring the good news of Jesus Christ to this nation.

One of the brothers followed by sharing we should give a gift to assist them. Suddenly one of the Bhutanese declared “I will give $50.” This man supports his family with a car wash job. Then a 20 year old young man opened his wallet and emptied it and handed me the bills to add to the gift. Then a single lady passed forward a wad of bills. I then put out an envelope and shared that they could put their offerings for Japan in the envelope. When I checked later there was $505 in cash in the envelope. The church also agreed to give another $1,000.

If any on the forum desires to assist these fellow believers and laborers in His service here are the mailing instructions:

Josh and Alicia Crowe's Account

Free Will Baptist International Missions

National Association of Free Will Baptist

P.O. Box 5002

Antiock, Tennessee 37011-5002

A brother in Christ Jesus,

Hope
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #76
Hope

Phil 4:18
18 But I have received everything in full, and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God.
NASB

On Tuesday evenings we are having a Bible study in the apartment of a newly saved refugee lady.

When I arrived one of the believing sisters handed me an envelope with cash for the missionary couple in Japan. Then another refugee sister handed me $10. This is like the widow's mite. Mark 12:44, for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on. "
NASB

They began to sing Nepalie songs of praise and I felt like we were under a special anointing and a sweet fragrance was ascending to God.

Hope
Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #77
UntoHim

Default Let's all pray for the folks affected by the serious flooding!

Let's all pray for the folks affected by the serious flooding!
There are several posters here that live in the affected area. Maybe they could pop in for a second and give us a report.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #78
Hope

Hello to those currently participating on the “forum.”

Due to many personal issues and my feelings about some who were posting here, I have been away. Recently I felt that perhaps the Lord desired that I begin to read the current series of posts. The most recent series seems to me to be of much more potential value than those 4-6 months ago.

I felt to stop my ongoing history on the forum as the format of an incomplete work being target practice for certain malcontents did not seem profitable for what I believed the Lord desired.

My hope was that my experience could be an aid for others seeking to know the Lord’s will in their lives regarding participation in the LSM etc and could serve as help to any who had been discouraged by their experience there. In addition, I thought that the posters were predominately seekers of truth and that perhaps we all could come to a more accurate understanding of the Way of God, Acts 18:26.

One glaring fallacy among the posters is to assume the worst possible motives and conduct among those who had some leadership and the best motives regarding former members. I personally know or know of the most vitriolic posters.

In the early years, we endured quite a collection of saints. Unless you were there and participating in seeking to help the many problem people, you cannot understand the endurance, mercy, and compassion needed to shepherd some among us and also some among the would be leaders. I believe it will help this discussion to focus a little on the problems which came with the territory in the early days.

Some came into the church and were attracted by the attention they could demand. Giving “testimonies” was an excellent opportunity to talk about ME, ME, ME. Some could go on for weeks, months and years constantly drawing attention to themselves depending on how much they could couch the self-glorifying in spiritual terms and church lingo. Eventually, when out of exhaustion on the part of an elder or elders or compulsion of the Spirit or stacked up complaints from the saints or all of the above, the dear one was confronted about their self- obsession. It almost never went well. THEY WERE HURT! THEY HAD BEEN WOUNDED! Then we all suffered a time of retribution, complaints and getting even. Some on the forum are still suffering from me-itus.

Because of the apparent loose oversight and low key roll many of the elders took, wandering stars would appear. These were folks who saw themselves as spiritually gifted but in need of an audience or group to shepherd where they could practice their wonderful gifts. When they were not given the leading role they saw for themselves, it was surely those controlling elders who stood in their way. They only wanted to help the saints but were shunt aside by the awful elders.

Similar to the above was a group of folks I have labeled “disappointed office seekers.” After a period of time, they assumed they would be recognized by WL or BP or some local elders and invited to share in the leadership. (President Garfield was assassinated by a disappointed office seeker. After that event, the civil service examine process was instituted.) This person is so easy to recognize because his remarks always, always, always center on belittling any local church elder or leader.

Then we had the confrontational fault finder. Some elders fell into this category. (Mike, one was in Dallas.) They always had an issue with someone or some church. Usually the other elders would try to ignore them hoping they would get better. Eventually they would get frustrated and withdraw from the church or from the leadership or move somewhere else.

A final group I will mention was the “we are free”, “we can do whatever we want,” “we are not religious,” “we are not under any law.” These folks disrupted many a meeting and offended many of the saints. Eventually when the saints and the leadership could stand no more they were adjusted. My, my, often they howled like a stuck pig. Some on this forum are still howling.

To take the testimony of some of the problem folks and overlay their accusations on WL, BP, RG, MR etc is so unfair. Many of the errors and mistakes made by the local churches were due to the challenge brought on by the “come one come all” approach with very little organization and deliberately weak leadership.

WL had been too authoritarian in the Far East. He told me so directly to my face and I heard him mention it many times. One of his hopes for the trip of 141 in 1967 to Taiwan was to demonstrate to the churches there the lack of control and freedom of the Spirit. Actually pray-reading and calling on the Lord, were originally stumbled on as a way to level the playing field. Anyone could pray read and anyone could call on the Name of the Lord.

The change that occurred in 1974 was not just due to the ambition of WL and MR. (Yes they were ambitious.) But they were searching for a way to provide direction for what often seemed to be some poorly managed congregations often without a clear rudder. The above mentioned problem people were too many. MR was especially running out of patience and ready to institute tighter controls.

BP, RG who I knew intimately, served, and served and served. They both had a weakness of being a little like Popeye the sailor man. Popeye would endure Brutus and endure and endure until finally he declared “I have stood all I can stand, I can’t stands no more.” Then after a little spinach, the house is destroyed as he explodes and deals with Brutus. This happened a few times in Texas. They could have handled some of the problem folks in a better way. But would you say that poor ole Brutus was just an innocent victim? Please note dear reader, you never hear the other side of the story from some of the vitriolic posters.

WL had two bad children. So did Aaron. So did Eli. David had more than two. Solomon’s son caused the kingdom to be divided. Do bad children mean your service was false?

The Bible does tell us the details of these families but to illustrate that there is no such thing as Spiritual succession. There is no such thing as apostolic succession. This would be for another discussion of God’s Administration.

Unfortunately there was a very real change over time and the change was not for the better. Unfortunately there were some serious flaws in the practice and attitudes. There was some wrong understanding of the truth and practice unveiled in the New Testament. And there were some problem people who hurt others then and continue to damage and distract those seeking to press on the know the Lord.

In Christ Jesus,

Hope
Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #79
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Let's all pray for the folks affected by the serious flooding!

Quote:
There are several posters here that live in the affected area. Maybe they could pop in for a second and give us a report.
I took a tour of Queens today. I saw about 6 trees that had fallen on houses, maybe more, but certainly less than 10. I saw some areas that were without electricity, but only small areas. I did not see any significant flooding. I went to the Rockaways, one of the mandatory evacuation zones, and did not see any damage at all. I did see people who evacuated on Saturday returning today.

For the last 2 days I have worked in one of the evacuation sites and I would say that NY was extremely well prepared for this emergency. I was called to come in on Friday, and spent the night putting supplies into place (cots, water, food, setting up nursing stations). When I returned the second night the numbers had swollen to a thousand people, 400 more than we were intended to handle and yet they were managing. I was very impressed.

We could never have handled this without the help of the evacuees, in one case I heard 50 evacuees had helped them to rapidly set up an area for the extra people.

This morning as my shift ended the National guard came and helped us. Having extra men on site is very helpful. All of the evacuees were under huge stress wondering if their homes were safe from the storm and from looters.

One thing they did very well was they shut down the mass transit system with enough time to then go and send the buses to the evacuation zones to transport people to the Evacuation centers. These buses were left parked by the Evac ctr. I imagine that today these same buses were used to bring the people back to their homes (I wasn't there at the time, but I did see these same buses dropping off people when I visited the Rockaways).
Old 08-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #80
Ohio

Quote:
We have family in NE FL, coastal NC, DC area, NE MD, NYC, and SW CT, and all are doing well. Thank the Lord.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #81
manna-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
We have family in NE FL, coastal NC, DC area, NE MD, NYC, and SW CT, and all are doing well. Thank the Lord.
Fayetteville NORTH CAROLINA did just fine.

As for Raleigh what say ye?

Peace.