Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Fellowship Hall

Fellowship Hall Talk it over here. Also for prayer requests

Old 03-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
JJ

Default Quotes attributed to St. Patrick

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/a...t_patrick.html

Patrick is attributed with bringing the gospel of Jesus Christ to Ireland.

That's why they celebrate this day. O to be like Him today!
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Ohio

Default Re: Quotes attributed to St. Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/a...t_patrick.html

Patrick is attributed with bringing the gospel of Jesus Christ to Ireland.

That's why they celebrate this day. O to be like Him today!
JJ, thank you for this post.

I grew up in SW Cleveland in St. Patrick's parish, a thriving post-WW2 community of mostly (Irish) Catholics.

Never once did I ever hear one thing about Patrick the evangelist or his gospel message, other than that he drive all the snakes out of Ireland, and that's why we all drink green beer!

Here are two great quotes attributed to him:

Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.

If I have any worth, it is to live my life for God so as to teach these peoples; even though some of them still look down on me.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
JJ

Yes, I too was surprised by all this, Ohio. I have a lot of Irish blood in me veins, but grew up a heathen. Alas, me ancestors didn't pass any of this devotion to Jesus down in a way that reached me. God found another way to reach me.

JJ
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Yes, I too was surprised by all this, Ohio. I have a lot of Irish blood in me veins, but grew up a heathen. Alas, me ancestors didn't pass any of this devotion to Jesus down in a way that reached me. God found another way to reach me.

JJ
Yes, our Savior has other ways to reach us!

I am named after my uncle, who is a Catholic priest of the order of St. Francis, OFM. He has traveled the world, learning many languages along the way, but I never once heard him speak of Jesus.

Yet I have a nephew who loves Jesus and is preparing for a mission trip to Galway, Ireland (the suicide capital of Western Europe for young men) to bring good news of God's love. I gave him those great quotes from Patrick which you posted. Thanks JJ.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Yes, our Savior has other ways to reach us!

I am named after my uncle, who is a Catholic priest of the order of St. Francis, OFM. He has traveled the world, learning many languages along the way, but I never once heard him speak of Jesus.

Yet I have a nephew who loves Jesus and is preparing for a mission trip to Galway, Ireland (the suicide capital of Western Europe for young men) to bring good news of God's love. I gave him those great quotes from Patrick which you posted. Thanks JJ.
Great story, Ohio. Thanks for sharing it. At some point I'll share more of mine re Irish roots, but today I don't have time.

I found out one of the quotes attributed to Patrick is part of a prayer. This web site has it. http://www.beliefnet.com/prayers/cat...t-patrick.aspx

Good prayer from a man of faith.