Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Christian Movements/Ministries

Old 11-25-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
rayliotta

Default Geftakys Assembly and Westmoreland Chapel

This site was referenced a couple years back on the thread re Dr Lily Hsu's Watchman Nee book:

http://www.geftakysassembly.com/index.htm

While I haven't gone through it in detail, it seems that George and Betty Geftakys started a movement based in Fullerton, CA, which referred to itself as the Assembly. They were influenced by Watchman Nee, T. Austin Sparks, and the Brethren. The site contains references to the Lord's Recovery and Witness Lee, as a couple of ex-LRC members have contacted the authors of the site (who are ex-Assembly members) re apparent similarities between the two groups.

Perhaps some will find this useful.

A few links within the site:

Local Church Similarities

Similarities in Outreach Methods

Letter from Dana Roberts, the (other) Watchman Nee biographer (Subject: "Watchman Nee did the same thing")

Also, this site about the Geftakys Assembly mentions that there have been "clashes" between Recovery followers and Assembly followers, though it doesn't seem to provide any detail.
And for this cause, the Good Shepherd left the 99 pieces of crappy building material, and went out to recover the one remnant piece of good building material. For the Lord will build His church, and He will build it with the good building material, not the crappy kind.
rayliotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Freedom

Default Re: Geftakys Assembly and Westmoreland Chapel

Regarding the Westmoreland Chapel, I know this is where WL first met John Ingalls. I believe Don Rutledge's history mentions that. I think WL spoke there on possibly more than one occasion.

On the link to the Geftakys site, it mentions that Bakht Singh visited this group also. I have seen the name Bakht Singh mentioned several times. Does anyone happen to know if WL ever worked with him?
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
Friedel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
On the link to the Geftakys site, it mentions that Bakht Singh visited this group also. I have seen the name Bakht Singh mentioned several times. Does anyone happen to know if WL ever worked with him?
Bakht Singh was a contemporary of Witness Lee but I doubt whether they ever even met. Knowing Lee's dislike of anyone who could steal his thunder, it seems unlikely. Singh worked with Theodore Austin-Sparks, who had been close to Watchman Nee for a while. However, I am not sure that Singh had met Nee in England, while Nee was visiting with Austin-Sparks.

Bakht Singh was extremely successful as an evangelist in his home country, India. Thousands and thousands were brought to the Lord through his ministry.

I was told a few years ago that after his death in 2000 there was a lot of infighting among the leaders in his group and that there were splits and animosity. I cannot state this for a fact but this is how it was related to me by someone with inside information and someone who knew Bakht Singh.

One of his proteges is Zac Poonen who is still known worldwide as a Christian speaker and minister.

Here is Bakht Singh's testimony of his conversion:

How I Got Joy (Bakht Singh).pdf
Friedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayliotta View Post
This site was referenced a couple years back on the thread re Dr Lily Hsu's Watchman Nee book:

http://www.geftakysassembly.com/index.htm

While I haven't gone through it in detail, it seems that George and Betty Geftakys started a movement based in Fullerton, CA, which referred to itself as the Assembly. They were influenced by Watchman Nee, T. Austin Sparks, and the Brethren. The site contains references to the Lord's Recovery and Witness Lee, as a couple of ex-LRC members have contacted the authors of the site (who are ex-Assembly members) re apparent similarities between the two groups.

Perhaps some will find this useful.

A few links within the site:

Local Church Similarities

Similarities in Outreach Methods

Letter from Dana Roberts, the (other) Watchman Nee biographer (Subject: "Watchman Nee did the same thing")

Also, this site about the Geftakys Assembly mentions that there have been "clashes" between Recovery followers and Assembly followers, though it doesn't seem to provide any detail.
Question Here , I WAS Just reading about history of Christianity in the Singapore area , an there's a group called the CHURCH of Singapore that was oiringally influenced by Watchman Nee 's teaching on a pualairity of Elders & Loclaity, only diference here with this group is that they were later influenced by a former actress KONG YEE who recieved salvation through Watchman nee an then later becoming Charismatic, thus making this CHurch in Singapore Charismatic.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Question Here , I WAS Just reading about history of Christianity in the Singapore area , an there's a group called the CHURCH of Singapore that was oiringally influenced by Watchman Nee 's teaching on a pualairity of Elders & Loclaity, only diference here with this group is that they were later influenced by a former actress KONG YEE who recieved salvation through Watchman nee an then later becoming Charismatic, thus making this CHurch in Singapore Charismatic.

Any one know about the history & background of the CHURCH of Singapore & the church's that are related to them in Singapore
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #6
rayliotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Any one know about the history & background of the CHURCH of Singapore & the church's that are related to them in Singapore
I'm not from Singapore. Any Singlish-speakers in the room?
And for this cause, the Good Shepherd left the 99 pieces of crappy building material, and went out to recover the one remnant piece of good building material. For the Lord will build His church, and He will build it with the good building material, not the crappy kind.
rayliotta is offline   Reply With Quote