Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Blogosphere @ LocalChurchDiscussions

Blogosphere @ LocalChurchDiscussions Each Blog is it's own thread. Please only one Blog per user! Guests are welcome to start their own Blog - Simply hit "New Thread" and Blog away!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #1
InChristAlone

Default InChristAlone's Blog

I want to start this blog to share some interesting facts that I find recovering the roots of my Christian faith. It may turn out to be too simplistic. But I am a simple man. So bear with me, please.

---

I have never pondered the idea of sin. We all know: sin is sin. It means:

a) an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law;
b) an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offence, or omission.

We know that the Gospels were written in Greek. So I wondered what word the four evangelists had used in Gospel, talking about sin. I was surprised to know that the original meaning was a bit different. The Greek word hamartia (ἁμαρτία) is usually translated as sin in the New Testament. “Hamartia” means "to miss the mark" or "to miss the target.” In other words, God is our target. Sin is an action that doesn't lead us to God.

Orthodoxy also understands sin as a disease of the soul, an illness or infirmity, a condition where the soul is lacking in God's grace. Union with God, which is made possible through Christ, is the ultimate medicine. The mysteries of the Church are vehicles leading towards union with God. The healing takes place in Holy Baptism, the Holy Mystery of Penance, Holy Unction and by worthy reception of the Holy Eucharist: The Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ.

Jesus forgives our sins through the sacramental power given to the Church, first to the Apostles, then to their successors, right down to the present day, when He told them: "After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.” John 20:20-23

PS There are about seven different Greek words for sin, each one having a slightly different meaning.

1. You already know the first word, "hamartia" = "to miss the mark". This is the general Greek word for sin. It's used 221 times.

2. "Hettema" = "diminishing what should have been given full measure".

3. "Paraptoma" = "falling when one should have stood". It means an unintentional slip. Example: Eph. 1:7, KJV = We have "the forgiveness of sins (paraptoma), according to the riches of His grace".

4. "Agnoeema" = "ignorance when one should have known". Example: Heb. 9:7, KJV = "the errors (agnoeema) of the people".

5. "Parakoe" = "to refuse to hear and heed God's word". Example: 2 Cor. 10:6, KJV = "disobedience".

6. "Parabasis" = "to intentionally cross a line". Example: Heb. 2:2, KJV = "every transgression (parabasis) & disobedience (parakoe) received a just recompense of reward".

7. "Anomia" and "paranomia" = "lawlessness, or willfully breaking God's written rules". Example: Titus 2:14 KJV = Jesus gave himself for us in order to "redeem us from all iniquity (anomia)".