Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
zeek

Default Movies and the Church

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
What about Hollywood masterpieces?

1. The Matrix

2. Avatar

3. Oh, God
This is the year of Wonder Woman. If you want to talk movies, we should start another thread. I remember being offended by "Oh, God" when I was in the LCM in the '70s.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Movies and the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
This is the year of Wonder Woman. If you want to talk movies, we should start another thread. I remember being offended by "Oh, God" when I was in the LCM in the '70s.
I'm not interested in talking movies unless we are discussing documentaries.

However, these sci fi movies give a version of the incarnation that is the scientific explanation of the mysteries of God.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #3
zeek

Quote:

However, these sci fi movies give a version of the incarnation that is the scientific explanation of the mysteries of God.
Blade Runner is my all time favorite. No, I have not seen the sequel. Phillip K. Dick was having experiences that he couldn't understand his entire life. His fiction was his attempt to understand what was happening to him a narrative form. Some are sci-fi. some are conspiracy theories. Was he mentally ill, was he demon possessed. Blade Runner raises the possibility that the protagonist is a replicate and possibly a malfunctioning one. That would explain a lot.

I rarely watch movies any more. But, when I do they are potentially more impactful for their novelty to my experience.

What about Starman? The protagonist is a Christ figure in that one, I think.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

Old 12-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Ohio

Quote:
I am definitely partial to movies "based on a true story."

Perhaps it is the "how do I feel when it's over" syndrome, but long ago
I decided that I don't want to watch any more flicks that give me a "yuck" feeling afterwards. And for that reason I usually avoid theatres because I can't use a *remote* in there.

I remember years ago watching parts of Matrix at a holiday reunion with my family. I said that if someone doesn't explain the story to me, I refuse to watch. Noone wanted to "ruin my experience." It took them a long while to understand that I demanded an explanation, or I refused to watch. Finally my older brother caved in and clued me in. Apparently I avoid the unknown. Yet I loved the Bourne series. Strange, yet true!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah
What about Hollywood masterpieces?

1. The Matrix

2. Avatar

3. Oh, God
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek
What about the 1980 movie :
The Gods Must Be Crazy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gods_Must_Be_Crazy
Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
zeek

"Going to movies is a sign of weakness in one's Christian life. I believe that a saint who is strong in life would refrain from going to a movie theater, even if only to avoid the appearance of sin. We may go to a movie out of weakness, but we should never promote this, make this a teaching, or bring this into the church as a practice, telling others that to go to the movies is a liberation. I know of many young people who have been influenced by this kind of teaching. In our conscience we know that this is not liberation but looseness. We need to realize that any kind of looseness may lead to the indulgence of lust." Witness Lee (Crucial Elements of God's Economy, Chapter 3, Section 3)

Old 12-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
"Going to movies is a sign of weakness in one's Christian life. I believe that a saint who is strong in life would refrain from going to a movie theater, even if only to avoid the appearance of sin. We may go to a movie out of weakness, but we should never promote this, make this a teaching, or bring this into the church as a practice, telling others that to go to the movies is a liberation. I know of many young people who have been influenced by this kind of teaching. In our conscience we know that this is not liberation but looseness. We need to realize that any kind of looseness may lead to the indulgence of lust." Witness Lee (Crucial Elements of God's Economy, Chapter 3, Section 3)
There are movies that I was very happy I saw. Inconvenient Truth, the Passion by Mel Gibson, Schindler's List, etc.

As a rule I would agree that most movies that are shown in movie theaters are a complete waste of time. But there are always exceptions to the rule.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
Ohio

Quote:
There are movies that I was very happy I saw. Inconvenient Truth, the Passion by Mel Gibson, Schindler's List, etc.

As a rule I would agree that most movies that are shown in movie theaters are a complete waste of time. But there are always exceptions to the rule.
My objection to movie theatres is not the movie per se, but the fact that you are locked in their agenda. Their trailers never quite match their actual movie. Recently my wife and daughter saw a Disney remake and was infuriated how much LGBTQ they were subjected to, after the 30 odd minutes of previews which she never paid to see. Disney is no longer Disney for those who haven't noticed. With very few exceptions, if I don't have a remote in my hand, I'm not sitting thru it.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
My objection to movie theatres is not the movie per se, but the fact that you are locked in their agenda. Their trailers never quite match their actual movie. Recently my wife and daughter saw a Disney remake and was infuriated how much LGBTQ they were subjected to, after the 30 odd minutes of previews which she never paid to see. Disney is no longer Disney for those who haven't noticed. With very few exceptions, if I don't have a remote in my hand, I'm not sitting thru it.
You go to the theater when you have small children, it is for them. And yes, anyone doing that will notice that Disney is not disney, though Dreamworks was the one to see once the big three joined forces.

But I agree with you if I can't fast forward through the commercials I'm not watching.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #10
zeek

I'm planning to take my grandchildren to the new Star Wars movie on Christmas Eve. As I recall, when the first Star Wars movies came out in the '70s the saints in the local churches prattled on and on about how demonic and Satanically deceptive it was. "The Force" was a counterfeit God and What do you think now? By the way, may the Force be with you.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #11
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
I'm planning to take my grandchildren to the new Star Wars movie on Christmas Eve. As I recall, when the first Star Wars movies came out in the '70s the saints in the local churches prattled on and on about how demonic and Satanically deceptive it was. "The Force" was a counterfeit God and What do you think now? By the way, may the Force be with you.
I had friends growing up that were extreme Trekies, one even became a pilot. I have only watched one of those Star Wars movies, but several things from that movie have become part of the everyday lexicon, like "this is not the droid you are looking for". BTW someone needs to tell Evangelical that WL "is not the savior you are looking for". Perhaps "I am your father" is the reason for Boxjobox's aversion to the trinity?
Old 12-23-2017, 04:38 AM   #12
Ohio

Quote:
Never got into StarWars or watched one of their movies.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:42 AM   #13
awareness

Quote:
Never got into StarWars or watched one of their movies.
Were you in the LC in the 70s? I was. I remember well the rule against the movies, and TV, in the rule-less LC in the 70s. (One thing I really loved about the LC was "we have no rules" - haha).

In the church in Detroit, where the infamous Ron Kangas was lead elder, my wife and I, and another couple, rented a large house, to be a brothers house for new members.

It was a nightmare. Especially for the two sisters in an all male household, most of them ill-behaved to say the least. So the sister of the other couple, stressed beyond belief, got the idea of taking a break and going to the movies.

That stirred a very hushed and private discussion among us. Her husband, a very fanatical brother, was against it. But his wife was very unhappy, so he gave in. My wife, also out of debilitating stress, meekly (she was a soft spoken Chinese) said she wanted to go. I didn't care one way or another. As I recall.

Camelot was showing in the local theater. In the ride there, guilt filled the car. In fact, guilt overshadowed us during the movie, and long after. It was like we were partaking of the forbidden fruit. I remember afterwards, on the walk back to the car, the fanatical brother felt so guilty that he was pumping his fist in the air, and repeatedly calling "Oh Lord Jesus" so loud and hard that the veins were popping out of his neck.

For months he become infuriated at me for singing the Camelot song around him. He was fearful that it would get out that we went to a movie.

The local church was so funny, and superstitious. But then, there's no Biblical support for going to a picture show, that I know of. It had to be against it. Jesus never went to a picture show. Nor did the early church. And the LC was claiming to be the recovery of the early church. Movies were forbidden, maybe on that basis ... I don't know ... but they were forbidden ; very cult like.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
Were you in the LC in the 70s? I was. I remember well the rule against the movies, and TV, in the rule-less LC in the 70s. (One thing I really loved about the LC was "we have no rules" - haha).

In the church in Detroit, where the infamous Ron Kangas was lead elder, my wife and I, and another couple, rented a large house, to be a brothers house for new members.

It was a nightmare. Especially for the two sisters in an all male household, most of them ill-behaved to say the least. So the sister of the other couple, stressed beyond belief, got the idea of taking a break and going to the movies.

That stirred a very hushed and private discussion among us. Her husband, a very fanatical brother, was against it. But his wife was very unhappy, so he gave in. My wife, also out of debilitating stress, meekly (she was a soft spoken Chinese) said she wanted to go. I didn't care one way or another. As I recall.

Camelot was showing in the local theater. In the ride there, guilt filled the car. In fact, guilt overshadowed us during the movie, and long after. It was like we were partaking of the forbidden fruit. I remember afterwards, on the walk back to the car, the fanatical brother felt so guilty that he was pumping his fist in the air, and repeatedly calling "Oh Lord Jesus" so loud and hard that the veins were popping out of his neck.

For months he become infuriated at me for singing the Camelot song around him. He was fearful that it would get out that we went to a movie.

The local church was so funny, and superstitious. But then, there's no Biblical support for going to a picture show, that I know of. It had to be against it. Jesus never went to a picture show. Nor did the early church. And the LC was claiming to be the recovery of the early church. Movies were forbidden, maybe on that basis ... I don't know ... but they were forbidden ; very cult like.
Wow! Hyper-Legalism. Such bondage.

The 70's were so extreme. It's hard to relate today's mindset to those days -- better to not even try.

I knew a guy who tried to get into a dumpster and scream "Lord Jesus" in an attempt to reproduce a feeling he once had. So sad.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
zeek

Quote:

In short there's simply not,
a more inconvenient spot,
for happy-ever-aftering
then there in the local church!

Old 12-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #16
zeek

Quote:
I knew a guy who tried to get into a dumpster and scream "Lord Jesus" in an attempt to reproduce a feeling he once had. So sad.
Wow, that guy was really down in the dumps!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
Ohio

Quote:
Wow, that guy was really down in the dumps!
Then one day I was told he took his own life.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:38 PM   #18
awareness

Quote:
Then one day I was told he took his own life.
Do you know why he did that? Was it related to the dumpster incident?
Old 12-24-2017, 03:38 AM   #19
Ohio

Quote:
Do you know why he did that? Was it related to the dumpster incident?
No, I doubt it.

Perhaps a bad movie. You have to be careful with those things.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #20
awareness

Quote:
No, I doubt it.

Perhaps a bad movie. You have to be careful with those things.
Maybe a good movie, like Shadowlands, about C.S. Lewis. That's a real dangerous one.

Last edited by awareness; 12-24-2017 at 08:05 AM.
awareness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #21
Ohio

Quote:
Maybe a good movie, like Shadowlands, about C.S. Lewis. That's a real dangerous one.
Anthony Hopkins is dangerous, not C.S. Lewis.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #22
awareness

Quote:
Anthony Hopkins is dangerous, not C.S. Lewis.
You must be thinking of Silence of the Lambs. He took Jesus' words literally : unless you eat me.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #23
OBW

Quote:
Recently my wife and daughter saw a Disney remake and was infuriated . . . , after the 30 odd minutes of previews
30 minutes of previews? Give me a break. I know that it often seems like it, but I've never seen even close to 30 minutes of previews.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #24
kumbaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
30 minutes of previews? Give me a break. I know that it often seems like it, but I've never seen even close to 30 minutes of previews.
Just saw the new Star Wars movie- over 10 previews, easily pushing 30 min. Times are changing!
kumbaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #25
kumbaya

Quote:
I've always wondered if he blatantly said this.

THIS is the reason I could never go to a movie until I was 15 and allowed to "make my own decision"

I'm sorry, but not letting your kids go see a Disney movie every once in a blue moon will only cause resentment later in life!

I know, boo hoo, lol...(first world problems, perhaps?)

But still, LEGALISM!!!!!
kumbaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #26
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumbaya View Post
Just saw the new Star Wars movie- over 10 previews, easily pushing 30 min. Times are changing!
Thanks Kumbaya!

Perhaps OBW will re-consider his ways.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #27
Ohio

Quote:

THIS is the reason I could never go to a movie until I was 15 and allowed to "make my own decision"

I'm sorry, but not letting your kids go see a Disney movie every once in a blue moon will only cause resentment later in life!

But still, LEGALISM!!!!!
My objection to movies is not just the movie, but being a captive audience. At home I have control. A remote control. In a theater I have nothing. A few years ago I went to the movies with my grown son, and not knowing better, we picked a Julia Roberts movie. It was literally disgusting. I walked out. Others left at the same time too.

Hollywood loves to advertise healthy enjoyable "meals," and then inject poison once they got you captive. I've been victimized by them too many times. No more.

We should not just evaluate movies for acting, but also for the "message" we receive from it. I rarely watch movies anymore unless they are "based on a true story."
Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #28
Evangelical

Quote:

But still, LEGALISM!!!!!
Disney cartoons contain crude drawings of penile erections and such hidden in the pictures.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #29
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
Disney cartoons contain crude drawings of penile erections and such hidden in the pictures.
Without the graphics, it is quite evident that the Disney of old is no longer similar to today's Disney.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:15 AM   #30
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Only reason to go to the movie theater is for small children. They find it exciting, get some popcorn, etc. Over the course of my lifetime movie theaters seemed to have peaked in popularity and are dying. We'll know it is over for them when movies are released to iTunes at the same time they are to theaters. The internet is turning Malls and their theaters into ghost towns.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #31
Ohio

Quote:
Only reason to go to the movie theater is for small children. They find it exciting, get some popcorn, etc. Over the course of my lifetime movie theaters seemed to have peaked in popularity and are dying. We'll know it is over for them when movies are released to iTunes at the same time they are to theaters. The internet is turning Malls and their theaters into ghost towns.
Nearly everyone has a big screen TV and a popcorn maker, who needs theater?

Christian parents have long abandoned theatres, expensive popcorn, and Disney shock value for their young ones. Nearly all the old Disney classics are being rewritten to include LGBTQ super-sized for naive children.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #32
zeek

Quote:
Nearly everyone has a big screen TV and a popcorn maker, who needs theater?

Christian parents have long abandoned theatres, expensive popcorn, and Disney shock value for their young ones. Nearly all the old Disney classics are being rewritten to include LGBTQ super-sized for naive children.
Yeah, they gotta make the movies great again like they were in the good old days when white men were large and in charge and women, minorities and queers were second or third class citizens.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #33
awareness

Quote:
Yeah, they gotta make the movies great again like they were in the good old days when white men were large and in charge and women, minorities and queers were second or third class citizens.
But at least Dumbledore, wizard of Hogwarts, is gay. And Millennials grew up on Potter. It's a new day.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #34
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
But at least Dumbledore, wizard of Hogwarts, is gay. And Millennials grew up on Potter. It's a new day.
Are you saying that the Harry Potter movies portray a homosexual relationship between Dumbledore and someone else? BTW who is supposed to be Dumbledore's partner?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #35
awareness

Quote:
Are you saying that the Harry Potter movies portray a homosexual relationship between Dumbledore and someone else? BTW who is supposed to be Dumbledore's partner?
You'll have to ask J.K. Rowling, he's her character. She's the one saying he's gay.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #36
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
You'll have to ask J.K. Rowling, he's her character. She's the one saying he's gay.
So there is nothing in the movies depicting him being gay? How is this relevant to what Ohio shared?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #37
Ohio

Quote:
So there is nothing in the movies depicting him being gay? How is this relevant to what Ohio shared?
Ohio prefers "based on a true story."

Did you hear about Eastwood's latest? He even cast the real-life guys in his movie "15.17 to Paris."
Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #38
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
Ohio prefers "based on a true story."

Did you hear about Eastwood's latest? He even cast the real-life guys in his movie "15.17 to Paris."
Yes, I enjoy Docudramas, I even like Downton Abbey (describes the transition from the Victorian age to the Industrial revolution).
Old 02-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #39
Ohio

Quote:
Yes, I enjoy Docudramas, I even like Downton Abbey (describes the transition from the Victorian age to the Industrial revolution).
I never watched that. My all-time favorite show is This Old House, which is also on PBS. PBS is the most frustrating channel to watch. Can't tell you how many times I sat down on a Sat afternoon to watch it, and got a cooking fundraiser instead.

I am surrounded by people who are "cutting the cable" due to preference for some, costs for others, and politics for still more. Soon me too.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #40
ZNPaaneah

Quote:
I never watched that. My all-time favorite show is This Old House, which is also on PBS. PBS is the most frustrating channel to watch. Can't tell you how many times I sat down on a Sat afternoon to watch it, and got a cooking fundraiser instead.

I am surrounded by people who are "cutting the cable" due to preference for some, costs for others, and politics for still more. Soon me too.
I don't watch PBS, I buy the season on iTunes, no commercials, no fund raisers, and I paid money for it so PBS can be happy.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #41
zeek

The Lord is an Avenger according to I Thessalonians 4:6. "Avengers Infinity War" is breaking box office records. Coincidence?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #42
Ohio

Quote:
The Lord is an Avenger according to I Thessalonians 4:6. "Avengers Infinity War" is breaking box office records. Coincidence?
We watched the recent 6 part Kennedy Dynasty documentary on CNN.

We are now watching the 8 part mini-series on the Kennedy's (2011.)

Pretty informative history on Joe and sons. Seems fairly true to life. I came away with lots of respect for Bobby, but less for Jack and Joe.

J Edgar Hoover is alive and well in today's deep state.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #43
awareness

Quote:
We watched the recent 6 part Kennedy Dynasty documentary on CNN.

We are now watching the 8 part mini-series on the Kennedy's (2011.)

Pretty informative history on Joe and sons. Seems fairly true to life. I came away with lots of respect for Bobby, but less for Jack and Joe.

J Edgar Hoover is alive and well in today's deep state.
Thanks bro Ohio, on the Kennedy shows. I'll try to catch them.

And who's cross-dressing today in the deep state?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:28 PM   #44
Ohio

Quote:
Thanks bro Ohio, on the Kennedy shows. I'll try to catch them.
J. Edgar Hoover, like Brennan, Clapper, and Comey, spied on the President and Joe Kennedy illegally and used that info against them.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 AM   #45
zeek

Quote:
J. Edgar Hoover, like Brennan, Clapper, and Comey, spied on the President and Joe Kennedy illegally and used that info against them.
Hoover was a beloved conservative. https://www.conservapedia.com/J._Edgar_Hoover