Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Spiritual Abuse Titles

Spiritual Abuse Titles Spiritual abuse is the mistreatment of a person who is in need of help, support or greater spiritual empowerment, with the result of weakening, undermining or decreasing that person's spiritual empowerment.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
djohnson

Default Re: The LCS Factor

Oh ya I forgot Hope. Wherever you are is always OK.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
Oh ya I forgot Hope. Wherever you are is always OK.
Dear djohnson,

Let me see now. Did you not read and commit rather sharply when on the other forum I exposed my own misdeeds and those of some I was with.

Hope, Don Rutledge

PS Can you define what you mean by "is always OK?" Even with Paul the apostle things were not always OK. 2 Cor 4:7-9, But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing greatness of the power may be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; NASB

I know a lot about the phrase in bold.

By the way, can you live with it if some from the old local church may have been struck down but are not destroyed?
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
kisstheson

Dear ones,

It has now been two full years since I left the LC. I have spent most of those two years re-discovering the riches that abound in the entire Body of Christ. Very recently, this thread has prompted me to spend much time with the Lord going back and considering “the LCS factor” in my own life and in the lives of my family. What really was it that we touched there in the LC? What was pure, refined gold and what was dross? What part of the LC, both the good and the bad, remains with me to this very day?

Right now I have only questions and not many answers. Very unexpectedly, I was reading in the book Simplicity: The Freedom of Letting Go by dear brother Richard Rohr and I came across a section that touched me deeply:

Quote:
The Perils of New Communities

There is a danger in spiritual riches. The corruption of the best is the worst of all. Our gift and our sin are two sides of the same coin . . . We can do the right thing for the wrong reasons. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to do the right thing. The point is that we always have to be mindful of its dark side too. It’s always very humbling to do that . . . The more spiritual it looks, the more dangerous it is. The spiritual life is a very risky adventure, but what’s the alternative?
“There is a danger in spiritual riches. The corruption of the best is the worst of all. Our gift and our sin are two sides of the same coin.” Dear Lord, that really speaks volumes to me and helps to put my LC experience into perspective. Don’t ask me how, dear brothers and sisters, but this word is somehow working inwardly and helping to heal me.

I don’t know what I am trying to say . . . too many conflicting emotions . . . too many things I have not adequately thought through . . . too little maturity on my part . . . All I know is that I love you all in Christ, beloved ones.

May our dear heavenly Father have mercy on us all.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
juliep

(I have to apologize once again, I am not akamai enough to know how to quote what I am responding to with this post.) We obviously have several subjects going back and forth in this Thread. However, here goes...(oh - that's a Hawaiian word for knowledgeable,fun huh?)

I will use one name here since Don hinted at him in a recent post. Gene Deberry (sp?) was definantely involved in my experience with the elders as a teen. It sounds like this may be a surprise to some readers - but Gene was not alone - he and other elders were present at the meeting. (I dont know, I must have been an important person if this was not his norm - Lol) And no, as much as Don would like me to, I am not going to mention other names. I don't think it is appropriate.

I only mentioned the bare facts of the incident as a means of support for BlessD and others. This was a very terrible time in my life and I don't wish to rehash in every detail what happened. Besides the fact (and I apologize for being rude) anyone reading the posts about this incident, but not directly involved, you dont need to know the specifics - in my mind, its only curiosity seeking at this point. So as to relating more info as clarification - its not going to happen. And de facto - if a person is wanting clarification then obviously that person wasn't involved, as I'm sure readers of the forum can surmise for themselves.

If persons dont want to believe my account of what happened to me, then don't...As I've said before the intention of speaking out about this incident was a way of support and verification for others who went through the same or similar experiences...I believe that has happened, so I am satisfied with how I have handled this subject.
I have enjoyed hearing from everyone and the wonderful support that is out there. (For the most part.)

Oh, this might be interesting for some readers - I lived in the Big House in Dallas just like Hope did. I was in the 5th grade at the local elementary- some of my fellow students along with their families ended up in the LC in Dallas. I remember it was a surprise when one family in particular showed up at a meeting out of the blue (OBW). LOL (Forgive me for the mention.)
We had single sisters living with us at the time. There were 3 upstairs bedrooms and the sisters lived in one of the bedrooms, my sister and myself had the middle bedroom (the third of my 4 siblings was born near the end of our residency there) and my parents occupied the third bedroom. Downstairs we had use of a small living room and the kitchen. However, there were two other large rooms we were not allowed to use because they were used during the week and on week-ends for prayer meetings, childrens meetings, and various other meetings and church related activities. And then of course the back room served as the service office back in those days.

I remember sometimes a brother or sister would be maning the post but if not my mom would have to run answer the church phone, on rare occasion I answered if she was busy and couldnt get to it. We got some bizarre calls from neighbors wondering what was going on at the property. As you can imagine they were not always nice.
Thanks for letting me reminisce, amazing how many memories are coming back as I post... So long ago, but yet still so present.
Aloha
(As you can see, I removed myself as far as possible and still be in the U.S.) Lol
juliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
Paul Cox

I think djohnson has made it a point to not let us know if he has ever been in the Local Church or not.
Roger
Paul Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I think djohnson has made it a point to not let us know if he has ever been in the Local Church or not.
Roger
Actually djohnson has posted that he was never in a local church but has a friend who was in a local church and his friend knew Max Rapoport. djohnson has posted that he developed an interest in the local church based on his friendship with the former member and the former member keeps him updated.

Don Rutledge
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
djohnson

What is the present local church Hope?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
AndPeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Actually djohnson has posted that he was never in a local church but has a friend who was in a local church and his friend knew Max Rapoport. djohnson has posted that he developed an interest in the local church based on his friendship with the former member and the former member keeps him updated.

Don Rutledge
djohnson's friend perhaps is his alter ego. (Mirriam-Webster definition of alter ego: :(a) a second self as a trusted friend (b): the opposite side of a personality)

Steve
AndPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisstheson View Post
What really was it that we touched there in the LC? What was pure, refined gold and what was dross? What part of the LC, both the good and the bad, remains with me to this very day?
I really appreciate the quote from Rohr, The more spiritual it looks, the more dangerous it is. The spiritual life is a very risky adventure, but what’s the alternative?

When I came in the LC, as a newbie believer, not knowing my "begats" from my "beatitudes", I was strongly impressed with the spiritual nature of the fellowship I'd found. Compared to this, the worldly gatherings elsewhere couldn't compare.

It took a long time for the dark side of the spiritual scene I'd found to manifest itself. Satan is not called the subtle one for no reason (Of course we all are partly dark; only Jesus is fully in the light; I am not saying this to judge anyone. I merely point out this fact as an assent to kts' quote of Rohr).

I really thought I was free from any peril, once saved and in the LC. "Just do whatever they tell you; everything will be fine." No, sorry: the peril which always accompanies any spiritual light was there, hidden from me, the trusting rube. I couldn't imagine how such light could have any dark aspect.

"If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!" Matt. 6:23

Eventually, under much pain and duress, I learned that the only "safe" course for me was to admit that I was full of darkness. This truth is irrespective of how many conferences I've sat through, how many verses I've bellowed with the faithful throng. I had to admit my darkness. Then and only then could I begin to be led into the light. Those who think they can see will remain in darkness (cf John 9:41). The LC brethren did in fact see quite a lot relatively speaking, but then they made the great error of thinking that they saw. Only God can see. When we erroneously think that we can see, we inadvertantly thrust God away, and our light becomes darkness. (As soon as someone claims that they are at the "high peak" of truth, this should be a clear warning that the pillars of their house are crumbling around them).

btw, imho the alternatives to the risky adventure (see Rohr's quote, above) of the spiritual life are two. The first is a life of sin. God is holy and this is abhorrent to Him. The second alternative is a life of religion, thinking that one is holy like God. God hates this even more! See Matthew 21:31 - "The tax collectors and the harlots are going into the kingdom of God before you" (!)

But I am probably digressing by now...
aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
djohnson

Hope in the description of your LCS spin off in Raleigh you neglected to mention what isn't OK about it. No need to mention that Paul did this about various situations in the NT. We are already aware of that.

Some the from the "old local church"? That is an interesting thought. Is there a "new local church"?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
Hope in the description of your LCS spin off in Raleigh you neglected to mention what isn't OK about it. No need to mention that Paul did this about various situations in the NT. We are already aware of that.

Some the from the "old local church"? That is an interesting thought. Is there a "new local church"?
djohnson,

We all have a great need to be more Christlike. We need more love for Christ and for one another and for the lost and dying world. Many of us, especially me, are too often caught up with our own selves and self interests. We are often slow to respond to the promptings of the Lord during our daily living. We need to be strengthened to pray more. We need more time in the Word of God. We are desirous of being better parents and have a long way to go. These are just a few of our short comings. We could go on for quite a while pointing out flat spots and failures among us. We are not great. We are not special. About all we can boast of is Christ. He is so merciful and kind. If you ever visited, you would have plenty of ground to admonish. We would hear you out and bring your criticisms to the Lord. Perhaps we could have a two way fellowship as Paul with the Roman Christians, Rom 1:12, that is, that I may be encouraged together with you while among you, each of us by the other's faith, both yours and mine. NASB

"Old local church" meant not the present local church. As far as I know, except for me, none of the saints with whom we gather has seen a local church meeting for probably 15-20 years.

In Christ Jesus,

Hope, Don Rutledge