Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Writings of Former Members > The Thread of Gold by Jane Carole Anderson

The Thread of Gold by Jane Carole Anderson "God's Purpose, The Cross and Me"

Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: The Gross Violations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankful Jane View Post
Ray was in the “weeping” meeting (7 people present); and, we learned years later from Ben, that Ray called Benson (in Dallas) immediately after that meeting to report on it. It was only a matter of months after this meeting when the boom descended on us and also when Ben was moved away from Houston. I don't think this was the reason they came down on us, but our situation and Ben’s were not unrelated.
Do you think that Ray may have felt you had responsibility for Ben breaking down in front of others?
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Thankful Jane

Default My Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Do you think that Ray may have felt you had responsibility for Ben breaking down in front of others?
Yes.

Around 1990, a brother asked me this question, "Jane, will you tell me what you did to cause the shameful downfall of Ben M."

I had only heard this kind of comment one time before and that was Memorial Day weekend 1977 when Benson said to me, "... and the shameful downfall that you caused to one of us." So, I asked the brother, "Where did you hear this?" He told me that Benson had said this to him and a group of other brothers who were together not long after I got in trouble in Houston. He had always wondered what I had done to Ben.

I answered him, "I would also like to know what I did." I then quoted what Benson had said to me in 1977 and told him how at the time I didn't know who or what Benson was talking about, but had surmised that Benson was probably referring to Ben M.'s breaking down and weeping. (Interestingly, the brother's question had just confirmed for me for the first time that Benson's reference to "one of us" did indeed refer to Ben M.) This brother was incredulous that Benson could have been referring to something like that. I told him there was not anything else I was aware of that it could have been.

So, I do believe that when Ray called Benson after that meeting, he must have told Benson that I was the one talking when Ben lost it. Hence, I got the blame for his "downfall." I don't have an independent memory that I was the one talking, but it is very possible that I was.

Thankful Jane
Thankful Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
TLFisher

Default Re: My Answer

Quote:
Around 1990, a brother asked me this question, "Jane, will you tell me what you did to cause the shameful downfall of Ben M."...
Beyond my comprehension! All I can say right now, is the Lord has shown and given you much mercy and grace. I say that from the perspective your faith has not been shaken.
TLFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Ohio

Default Re: My Answer

Quote:
So, I do believe that when Ray called Benson after that meeting, he must have told Benson that I was the one talking when Ben lost it. Hence, I got the blame for his "downfall." I don't have an independent memory that I was the one talking, but it is very possible that I was.
When things go sour, the program always needs a convenient scapegoat to blame. The leaders rarely gave the how's and the why's of the blamings so that someone else could actually learn from such events; instead I was often told that, "TC sees things we don't." The truth is that LC leaders just don't take proper responsibility for their own errors, and got to have fall guys. WL, TC, and the Texas leaders all sound the same here. The "blame-game" is an LC sickness that has also bit me more than once.