Local Church Discussions  

Go Back   Local Church Discussions > Alternative Views - Click Here to Start New Thread

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #1
ZNPaaneah

Default Be sober and watch unto prayer

7But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

I was reading this verse in 1Peter and was struck how contrary it is to much of the discussion on the alt views forum.

According to Peter a sound mind, a sober mind, and someone who is intently “watching” would result in that person praying.

For example, let us consider the science behind Climate Change. I have been intently watching this since the 70s. I was at Rice U., one of my professors was spending time in Antarctica studying this and so I was probably ahead of the curve. It was tempting to think that if we just could explain this carefully people would change course. Several great books and studies came out with that burden. Of course nothing happened. Then the thought was if only we could explain this to the masses, and again you had a couple of very good movies released, and again, nothing. Yes it was a political football, rose in the conscience of the American people, and many promises were made. Finally we did sign an accord. Sounds like progress was made, yet even if that accord were followed to the letter, which no one believes will happen, it will not stop the advance towards catastrophic destruction.

But then when you look at history this is clearly what you should expect. Animal extinctions and habitat destruction are the norm, not the exception. All empires did this to themselves. The only thing that has changes is the size and scale. Now we can influence the world’s climate, not just that of Mesopotamia, or Greece, or Egypt. No one today would ever name the “fertile crescent” that.

Anyone who thinks human civilization can be “saved” by science is deluding themselves. They do not have a sound and sober mind. They have not been watching intently. If they did they would be praying.