View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #15
Sons to Glory!

Default Re: What is the Lord showing you fresh these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
But what are we improving? The "many things" which cause us stress and anxiety and resentment, or the "one necessary thing" which God wants us to focus on? If it's the former, we are spinning our wheels; we are putting "lipstick on the pig". If it's the latter we are going on to glory, we are going from "strength to strength".

One thing about getting older is you tend to simplify problems more quickly; you identify what is necessary and what is extraneous fluff. Just go to work every day and do the "one necessary thing", over and over again, and you will get promoted right up the ladder. That is what I found. I had no ambition, but was "serving God and not man". But the Lord said, "Just do this one thing continually, in season and out, and you will be fine." I never let Satan distract me from that view (at least, for long - yes I occasionally fail like everyone else). As a result I've been a better employee, and done better with my career, than if I were brimming with ambition and desire.

The gospel, similarly, is about Jesus Christ raised from the dead on the third day, and given glory, and forgiveness and eternal life in His name. All the other stuff (e.g., how many 'churches' per 'city') is all fluff. Either God raised Jesus or He didn't. Either you believe or you don't. Keep it simple.
I like that! In fact, my wife and I make a living with helping companies forget about just doing things efficiently (doing many things) and focusing on doing what matters most (working smart)! I don't doubt the Lord put me in this business to accentuate this idea - focusing on the "few things" is what really matters.

This morning I repeated to the Lord the few things He has shown me to be faithful, and asking Him if indeed this is correct. I believe I have the witness and confirmation. So here are the four basic & routine things I believe He has shown me to be faithful in:
  1. Stay where He has put me
  2. Don't forsake the assembling together
  3. Seek Him early each morning - praying, singing, chewing on His word
  4. As I remember, talk to Him throughout the day regarding all things
And all else flows out of this - having a relationship with Him (i.e., Mary)!

And Aron, thanks for pointing out the Mary aspect of the main thing - having an ongoing relationship with God! The "few things" I mentioned above are all toward that main thing.
Sons to Glory! is offline   Reply With Quote