View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Elvis has left the building

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
I have witnessed believers that are less compassionate then non-believers....No one has a corner on compassion...
I was once hitch hiking in Wales, England during a hurricane. I was picked up by a man and his wife that lived about 2 or 3 hours away. He drove me to his house, let me take a warm shower, when I got out I learned they had put most of my clothes in the dryer. They gave me a nice hot meal and a bag lunch and then drove me to a good spot to hitch hike from. I asked him why he was being so nice, he said that when he was in the US people treated him very well and he was merely repaying the favor.

That was probably the single most important event in my life that led to my coming to Houston and meeting the LC there but that is a longer story.

I consider myself less compassionate than he was, and I have no idea if he was a Christian or not.

The point I am getting at is that according to the parable of the Good Samaritan the church is like a hospital where we are able to recover from being beaten up by the Law, and by the Crooks, etc. You do not go to a hospital expecting to find people who are healthy, you expect to find people who are trying to get healthy. Therefore the mark of a genuine Christian is not how compassionate they are, but are they aware that they are sick? As the Lord said "I have not come for the healthy but for the sick"