View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
OBW

I like Igzy’s basic discussion and also YP’s addition of the question about what is the assembly.

Taking Igzy’s approach of practicality, we might even take the issue to an even greater extreme. What if there are so many Christians in an city that even the idea of one controlling eldership is absurd. But assembly by assembly the faithful meet together on a regular basis. They may develop differences in understanding of side issues over time, and my also develop differing outward practices. But they continue to be fully open to each other and to the believers within each other group. If any happen to be at the meeting of one of the other groups when the Lord’s Table was observed, they are fully welcome. In fact, they are treated in all respects as if they are a regular part of the group even when they are otherwise strangers only there for a visit.

In short, does having a preference in who you regularly meet with create a problem if there is practically no barrier between the groups?

If the answer is “no,” then what must be added in the separation of these groups to make their separate existence “sectarian” (in an un-scriptural sense)? Does more regular fellowship with other groups with similar preferences make them sectarian relative to the groups with which fellowship is more sporadic? Does the amount of fellowship with any other particular group in and of itself create a situation of sectarianism?

Now. Let’s go the last step. If an affiliation of assemblies of like minds decides to have some of their leaders join in a process of doing the “heavy lifting” of studying scripture and providing more consistent direction for the group (such as through a seminary or even a (gasp) headquarters) are they now sectarian if their stance remains open to all believers?

I know what I think about these questions.

So in terms that the LC understands, is a denomination by definition sectarian (in an unscriptural way), or is it so only if it willfully excludes other believers or insists on more than the common elements of faith for inclusion in their group?

If the answer is the latter, then I submit that my observation is that the LC is clearly sectarian and some denominations are not.

So returning to the original question, I think YP is more correct. An assembly is an assembly. There is nothing sacred about city boundaries so that a discussion about multiple groups in an area is irrelevant as a point of contention. The issue is not separate assemblies. It is not even names on a sign outside the assembly. It is the inclusion or exclusion of any particular Christian that walks through their doors because of something outside of the basics of the faith or heresy.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote