Thread: By The Book
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #114
Dave

Default Re: By The Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
I have lots to say about what's going on in this thread, but I wanted to stop and acknowledge this little ditty. As a matter of fact, I believe that even if God updated the "hows" for us modern Westerners, it wouldn't make a lick of difference to those who are set on doubting - they would simply update their skepticism and try to shoot holes in the updated revelation/information.

And this is the judgment: that the light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light..(John 3:19)
Oh ye of little faith...How little you know about some of the skeptics. I'll repeat myself again which I have stated before but it doesn't seem to be getting through. It is a quote from James Luther Adams...most prominent UU theologian of the 20th Century in his book, "on being human religiously".... "The Five Smooth Stones of Liberalism"....just the first stone. "Religious liberalism depends first on the principle that "revelation" is continuous. Meaning has not been finally captured. Nothing is complete, and thus nothing is exempt from criticism....Whatever the destiny of the planet or of the individual life, a sustaining meaning is discernible and commanding in the here and now. Anyone who denies this denies that there is anything worth taking seriously or even worth talking about. Every blade of grass, every work of art, every scientific endeavor, every striving for righteousness bears witness to this meaning....To be sure, the word "God" is so heavily laden with unacceptable connotations that it is for many people scarcely usable without confusion....Indeed, the word "God" may in the present context be replaced by the phrase "that which ultimately concerns humanity" or " that in which we should place our confidence".

"God is the inescapable, commanding reality that sustains and transforms all meaningful existence. It is inescapable, for no one can live without somehow coming to terms with it. It is commanding, for it provides the structure or the process through which existence is maintained and by which any meaningful achievement is realized....We put our faith in a creative reality that is re-creative. Revelation is continuous." That is my little ditty.