View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #93
Evangelical

Default Re: More Information and a Testimonial

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Now, to the substance of Evangelical’s and Drake’s attack, which I will not spend much time on or go into much detail about for the reasons stated above. Their histrionics seem to be mainly directed toward one quote from Jane’s book, A Woman of Chayil: Far Above Rubies. As you are aware, Jane is posting excerpts from this book on her blog at LemonsToGrapes.com. She first posted “Lemon One: 1st Corinthians 11:1–16,” which occurs around page 149 of the paperback book. (By the way, it is gratifying to know that Evangelical actually read the portion that was posted, or some of it at least.) Unfortunately, however, the presentation that answers his attack is on pages 31–34. As Nell might write to him, “You do realize that the quote you are going crazy about is from a book, don’t you?” As Matthew might write, “Get thee behind me, Satan” (Matt. 16:23, KJV).For thoughtful persons, this should be enough to answer the Satan charge.
I'm sure it helps everyone to know, that Jane makes a good 4 page presentation about why she believes Satan translated parts of the bible. But really, it's all coming from Bushnell anyway.

I still do not see the purpose in writing that Satan translated parts of the bible, regardless of where it occurs in the book:

"By changing Genesis 3:16 as he did, Satan misrepresented God and how His authority works". ~ from lemon 1 "1 Corinthians 11:1–16".

She could have said men, she could even have said alcoholic men, she could have said, as Lee might say "fallen human nature". But no, it was men, driven by the fact they were male (innate male bias is the terminology used) which was Satanic. It was according to "Satan's economy" to deceive mankind by placing the husband over the wife.

It was Satanic why? Because Bushnell thinks it was.

Bushnell writes in "God's Word to Women":
The third chapter of Genesis, rightly translated and interpreted, reveals to us the fact that lordship of the husband over the wife, which began when man sinned, was Satanic in origin.

Then if we turn to the Dictionary of definitions at the back:

It says:
"Lordship of male over female", satanic in origin, 167.

So her belief that it was Satanic in origin is wholly unsupported by any other source, reference, citation, early church father (or mother) or any other thing. She states it, and then defines it herself in her dictionary as being satanic, without any evidence.

Although if she uses the term Satan in that sentence in the Witness Lee sort of way, invoking Matt 16:23, then she doesn't really mean Satan as in the person of Satan with devil horns and a tail. To use Lee terminology, she might mean "fallen human nature", and that is something I can understand.

My first thought is that if lordship of husbands over wives is Satanic, then so is painful childbirth, so are thorns and briars and other consequences of the fall. It's hard to tell what is Satanic and what is not, and I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not all bad things are from Satan and all good things are from God.

In any case, I should point out the irony in that the man who wants repentance for saying Satan sowed a tare in Judas, defends a view that 46 verses of the bible were sowed by Satan. It's a view which as far as I can tell, comes solely from Bushnell's speculation.

Is Bushnell's speculation reliable? Bushnell was rather speculative about what actually happened in the Garden and the roles which Adam, Eve and Satan played. Her ideas and thoughts about Satan in the Garden fit the pattern of someone who has read more into Scripture than is really there, someone who can't discern between fact and fiction.

To her credit, Jane has tried to avoid Bushnell's speculations, as was acknowledged in Nell's post in another thread:
http://localchurchdiscussions.com/vB...&postcount=223

Bushnell could have constructed a fine scholarly work if she had kept to the facts, but unfortunately it is clouded by the food for thought speculations.

It is therefore my speculation that Bushnell's view that Satan was behind it all, scheming to rule over men by causing them to mistranslate the word "teshuqa", is another of her Garden of Eden fantasies, unless it can be proven otherwise by some means.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote