View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
askseek

Default Re: Expansion of Content

Well, you succeeded in getting me onboard.

So I thought more about these ideas, and I think we can do all of it without any major technical changes.

First off, adding a wiki wouldn't be worth the effort. Since I was UnReg until now I forgot that sticky posts can be edited and posts can hyperlink to other pages on the site. Plus the existing print option is adequate, and there are browser extensions that can save pages as pdfs. (We could add a help page item explaining where to get these extensions.)

I propose the following tasks, based on what I wrote before:

1) Add FAQ and other Personal Help pages -- I alread mentioned some FAQ ideas. There could be a lot of other options. For example, there's a thread where a 17 year old introduced himself and several members responded with advice. Perhaps there could be multiple pages written to give advice for different types of situations, such as "ex-LC, struggling to move on" or "church kid" or "unaffilated but concerned about someone in LC".

2) Librarian work -- it would be helpful to add a page that categorizies all of the existing documents, e.g. "History", "Personal testimony", etc. Each of these would link to a sub-page that lists all the documents in the category, and each item links to the document itself. It would also be helpful to have a brief description of each document, even just 1-2 sentences.

3) Add a "How to use this site" page -- something that briefly explains the site content, links to FAQ, Personal Help, Library summary, etc. It should be prominent on the Homepage for new visitors to quickly access the first 2 items.

(Other stuff like "List of LC leaders" and "List of LC jargon" could be added at some point, but I think the above 3 items are more important.)
askseek is offline   Reply With Quote