View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #410
Evangelical

Default Re: Bible Answer Man Converts to Eastern Orthodox!

As we can see, most people do not have a good reason why Lee's views on salvation and becoming god are heretical.

The only reasons offered so far are:
- "it's not in the bible" - knowledgeably theologians like Blackwell, Piper and others would disagree, they explain the teaching in a historical, positive and biblical way.
- "something about Lee not calling himself an apostle blah blah" - All of the reasons do not hinge upon what Lee actually wrote or said or was qualified, but upon irrelevant "Ad hominem" arguments, such as my credibility or my ability to use Google.

Furthermore, they do not have a good case to declare the orthodox views of salvation and deification as heretical, given that it is so entrenched in Christianity even in Protestantism (the Reformers believed in it, and it is said to be called "glorification" according to Piper). In Protestantism the idea is still there, somewhere, but has been overlooked and replaced with focusing mostly upon justification and the goal to be holy and without sin.

They are not aware of or deliberately ignore the wealth of material out there by scholars like Piper and Blackwell, in order to present Lee as a heretic, not realizing that they are arguing against a belief that the disciples of the disciples of the apostles held - that salvation is to become united with God. Lee himself said nothing that others have not said before, namely, early church fathers, the Reformers, and the beloved CS Lewis.

In fact, it can be shown that Lee's view of salvation is almost identical to the teachings of the Orthodox church:

The goal of salvation according to Orthodoxy is (from https://carm.org/what-is-theosis )

Such, according to the teaching of the Orthodox Church, is the final goal at which every Christian must aim: to become god, to attain theosis, ‘deification’ or ‘divinization’. For Orthodoxy our salvation and redemption mean our deification."

Lee also viewed deification as our salvation and redemption:

“If God is still God, and I am still I, then I have not been saved yet! " ~ Witness Lee
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote