View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 06:25 AM   #49
Drake

Default Re: Poor, poor Christianity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
"hate the sin, love the sinner"

In the OP Drake already clarified that he did not mean the whole of Christianity is poor. So he is not "characterizing the entire body of Christ" and not speaking about "all of your brothers". For example, I don't believe Drake had anyone on this forum in mind, probably there are no Bey worshippers here.
Thankfully no one thus far is proposing Bey worship! Most of the entries in this thread are reasoned and offering differing views without misunderstanding or purposefully misrepresenting the OP. Such are examples of civil discourse where people with different perspectives can disagree agreeably ....even vigorously. Those are generally accepted conditions for participating in discussions face to face or online.

That is how it should be.

It becomes toxic when vigor leads to misrepresentation of others views with whom you disagree as in the case of the post you cited above. The OP expressed my belief but the poster restates my belief to match one he wants to debate. Rather than disagree with the OP on its merits he prefers to create a version of it that he is comfortable debating against and hopes he can thereby win the argument if only in his own mind. That is a proverbial straw man argument.

“A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.” Wikipedia

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote