View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
Peter Debelak
I Have Finished My Course

Default Re: "Heavenly Language"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
Regardless of the theory or methods used my thought and experience is HS kids don't need doctrine or Bible teaching in the general sense of the word. They need practical advise where the rubber meets the road regarding issues they are facing to help them as human beings to arrive into adulthood intact emotionally, socially and spiritually.
This is fine - it engages them where they are at and about things that concern them. But I differ with you on the "advice" point. I don't know how "practical" it should be.

The questions and decisions they face are extremely complicated and nuanced. There aren't "practical answers." What major? More study or sports? Should I hang out with my non-believer friends or only my Christian ones? My friend just told me he was gay - should I "teach him" or do something else? From the perspective of a young believer (you established that at this point they are saved and understand the basic foundation of the faith), what sould the focus of our encouragement be?

I agree that we SHOULD discuss the life situations they're involved in. But do we give "Christian advice" like there's a "right answer" to the fundamental human quesitons they're asking? Or, at this MOST vulnerable and impressionable time in their development of faith, should we teach them to pray, to search the Word, to question with their companions, to ask questions of us - even ones that challenge basic assumptions of ours.

In other words, should we give them "practical advice" or should we empower them with tools of faith and seeking, even if it means they may challenge us on our presumed "truths" when it comes to these matters?

They might end up all over the map in their short-term "conclusions" to their questions. But perhaps, maybe, they may learn more "faith" than "answers."

In Love,

Peter

P.S. Take me in the right way - there are plenty of more "clear" areas that definate "advice" is necessary, even if we have to have faith in Him when they don't take it. But I'm thinking here more in the areas of "advice" which are really interpretation of purported Biblical prescriptions (which may or may not be actual prescriptions) to specific, complicated human issues. I see too much of this. Kids take this "advice" and turn it into blunt instruments to bludgeon eachother in self-righteousness. Sometimes, they turn into adults who do the same.