View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 AM   #161
zeek

Default Re: Poor poor Christianity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
No doubt his ability to connect Jesus' ministry with the OT into one coherent revelation has helped.

Since I don't know it is simply conjecture. Perhaps their teaching is precisely what we see in the gospels and acts and therefore we have no need of writings from them. Perhaps the gospels, like Luke's writings, represent a thorough summation of all their teachings.

This is the problem of being a talented member, it tends to suppress others talents. That said I feel that the gospels are very well represented in the church teachings.

The point was not about kosher food, that point was resolved earlier by Peter and his vision. The point of contention was about not eating with believers because they were not "Jews".

I don't think the Gospel of Matthew presents Jesus as a Judaizer. I define a Judaizer as one who requires believers to be circumcised, to convert to Judaism, to separate themselves from believers who have not converted, and who still keep the various animal sacrifices. I fully agree with Paul's understanding that Jesus death is the real circumcision and I fully agree with Peter's vision that Jesus death cleansed all of us so that we no longer have "clean" and "unclean" peoples.
Some Palestinian Jews hoped for a prophet like Moses who would bring Salvation from their hated oppressors the Romans and those who collaborated with them as well as present the law of God. Moses had prophesied of another Prophet like himself in Deuteronomy 18: 15 to 19. In Matthew Jesus is the new Moses. He doesn't replace the the Old Law rather he's the true and final interpreter of what the earlier Moses had recorded in the Torah. The law which Jesus gives doesn't conflict with the law of Moses rather it is its fulfillment ( 5:17). The followers of Jesus must follow the law of Moses by understanding it in the way directed by the new Moses Jesus the Messiah. I join Bart Ehrman in wondering if Paul in the author of The Gospel of Matthew would have gotten along. https://ehrmanblog.org/is-paul-at-odds-with-matthew/

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote