View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #42
OBW

Default Re: YouTube Channel Discusses the Local Church

Just started listening to your YouTube channel. Overall very good.

I do think there is one thing that might warrant a different perspective — not necessarily in the videos, but in our thinking. We constantly look back at the LC in the 60s and at least part of the 70s and think about how much certain things were so good.

And they were. But I am not sure that the LC was responsible for that. If you had your ear to the ground, so-to-speak, concerning trends in Christianity, there were many movements in the same direction. the LC was not the first inner-life group to come along. They were not the only group pushing more spiritual views of Christian practices. There were many. My family (I was in high school at the time) was enticed because it tapped into a kind of teaching that was coming from several directions around us.

That we now find more of mainstream Christianity speaking of things that they were not talking about in the 60s and 70s is not about the influence of the LC. It is about the influence of a diverse movement that had great impact on the whole. And so much of that movement was found within the churches it would eventually impact. Or by the people from those churches who also were involved in those inner-life groups.

Unlike the LC which attracted people away from others into a separate fold. The people who come to be part of the LC were people who had some desire toward where that kind of movement was going. They just got caught up in the LC's version of the movement.

But you are right that the LC has stagnated, going nowhere since that time. Why? Because the things that really made the LC were not the inner-life movement, but the specialties of their teaching. Ground. MOA. Deputy authority. God's best. The "up to date move of God." And so on. What was motivating about the early LC was the people who came seeking that inner-life. That were about unity, oneness, fellowship, etc. Things that were forefront at first. Once they were trapped in a system that convinced them they could not go, the joy began to fade. They still grind it out, but it does not look the same anymore.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote