View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #291
awareness

Default Re: Bible Answer Man Converts to Eastern Orthodox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
It's true that many church fathers had peculiar beliefs. Collectively however they paint a picture that the doctrine of theosis or "man becoming god" was not so heretical as many today say it is.
When has man never wanted to be God? Adam and Eve became "as one of us." If we inherit their sin, then we also inherit that.

So why try to be what we already are? What, if we call on Jesus enough does it 'call' away our flesh?

And I don't think that many today think it's heretical as much as they think it's not possible.

But not Hank. He converted for deification -- or maybe he just likes silly hats. Either way, I wouldn't trust any answer from the Answer Man ... even if he comes back a Christian mystic ... in fact, specially if he comes back, or turns into, a mystic.

But to be fair. Hank's battle with cancer may be behind his conversion. It sure would scare the beejeebies out of me. I'd prolly be inclined towards the most assured Orthodoxy, like the EO, too. That is if I feared death. Cancer can hit any of us at any time, regardless of age. It can kill the body.

So let's say deification is possible. If cancer kills the body and we're only partially deified, do we only get a partially immortalized body?

Just wondering why the push to become deified? And if it's maybe just an illusion, a mirage in this bleak desert of a world, beyond the reach of anything except the imagination.