View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
Koinonia

Default Why don't Current LC Post Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
I have a bit of a different view about this. It's true that LCers are risking something by even coming to this forum, and I also understand the reasoning behind why people are allowed to post anonymously, but it seems there is little benefit to allow regular posters to do so. It's a matter of accountability. If someone has a username, they have to stand behind what they say. It's a bit frustrating when you engage with someone only to have them disappear once they get themselves into hot water. I've seen it happen quite a few times. And that is valuable time wasted on the part of members here who go out of the way to respond to their posts. I understand that LCers are sensitive about what they believe and even more so about defending it, but like anyone else, they still need to learn how to discuss things in a mature way.

Regarding LCers having a "safe space", I think that's just about the last thing that they need, and if fact, they already have it within the confines of their meeting halls and training centers. The way I see the issue is this: LC leadership has effectively stigmatized everything on the internet. Members who venture out as far as this forum are already disobeying leaders. And I think their willingness to do so is a quest for answers. They might not know what answers they're looking for, but they know they're not getting the entire picture in the LC. So for those who have found their way here, getting to the forum wasn't the issue. They already knew beforehand that the material here wasn't going to be pro-LC.

What then I see as the real hindrance for participation on this forum is actually kind of related to the topic of this thread. LCers have been taught that engaging in discussion, discourse or debate is 'fleshly' and part of the "natural man." They might read a lot of things on this forum, but then when it comes to engaging, it's a bit hard to do. They aren't prepared to stand behind what they say, because usually disagreement/dissension is met with accusing the other party of something like being argumentative or "out of their spirit", etc.
I completely agree with you about why LCers do not come and post. But I think we should try to help them in that situation in order to encourage more of an atmosphere of active "dissent" amongst LC members--many of whom have real problems with the LC but would never say so openly (I know this from a lot of experience and dialogue with others). I guess I am less interested in having a good debate forum frequented by a handful of ex-LC members than I am in having a wider space where many active LCers can work through their problems and questions in the context of a supportive online community, and even post information about what is going within the LC on a day-to-day basis.

For some idea of what I mean, search around the internet for some of the ex-JW and "fading" JW websites like JWStruggle, JWFacts, and JWSurvey. These kind of up-to-date resources and discussions are sorely lacking when it comes to the LC, and I am actively considering how to help change that.

Again, more later...
Koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote