View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #155
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Irrelevance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Conversely, the spoken message tape transcripts are themselves are edited in content before released in print. Some spoken-to-written editing is necessary but content should be polished, not completely omitted.

I attended a Witness Lee meeting in Dallas in the '90's wherein he shared about "man becomes God". I was shocked by this, as it was a fairly new topic for Lee. I waited for months to obtain a copy of this Dallas conference message in print. When it was finally released, I was shocked again that "man becomes God" was nowhere to be found. I was there. I heard it with my own ears. It was in my notes.

This was only one example. Several times I thought I heard something ...controversial... looked it up in my notes and there it was. Yet it never made it to print. I cited a passage from "Elders Training #9" to an LC member. They came back "That's not in my ET#9". Sure enough, it wasn't. I had the original publication, my friend did not...so he did not believe WL said what I cited.

The spoken messages are transcribed, then often manipulated for a desired effect, applicability and an "updated relevance".

Nell
When I was in Houston and Irving there were layers of editing. These messages generally went through 3 levels of editing, only one level involved polishing the English language. I think I and others did the first layer of obvious mistakes. James F and Pat F were two of those who did the basic english editing. When I was there Ben M was one of those responsible for editing out the aspects that would be picked up by the cult books.

Basic error of the cult books was to base their study off of the written word instead of getting the video tapes.