Thread: A Word of Love
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
OBW

Default Re: A Word of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Of course everyone knows the story of David Tyree, the football player who was arrested for selling drugs, his coach could have cut him loose but didn't and he repaid the coach in the superbowl with one of the most incredible catches on the game winning drive (along with a touchdown catch earlier in the game).
Actually, I must admit that I do not know that story. While some sports stories are probably meaningful, there is often a shortcoming. For me, it is in the presumption that grown men accomplish "great" things while being paid immoral sums of money to play a game. So sticking with someone who is arrested selling drugs it not impressive. And even if they "pay it back" by winning the game, what is that?

The impressive thing would be telling of the player, or better yet, the poor kid growing up on the streets of Harlem, who is enticed by the financial benefits of dealing drugs but rejects it for a hard-earned but righteous living as a factory worker, or even a chance to go to college and make something better for himself and others.

Sports can be a way to learn lessons about life. But it is not life. Even for the professionals. That is why they are plagued with drug abuse, womanizing and other evils on a grand scale. Winning the game is not redemption. Facing your error and not getting a special pass because you are a big-time sports name and instead doing your time like the street criminal is more impressive.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote