View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #26
Drake

Default Re: Poor, poor Christianity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantStar View Post
It is not fair to say that Christianity embraces the heretical. That's a contradiction in terms. A religion cannot embrace heretical doctrine. It might be possible for "Christianity" in the popular sense, which is perhaps the sense in which he meant it, but this is not the case in the theological sense. It would be like Trinitarians embracing modalism, or squares embracing triangles.

The problem is not so much a case of imperfection. I don't think anyone today or going back to the disciples will claim that the Church is perfect or that Christians are perfect. Paul saying "Wretched man that I am" comes to mind here.

The problem comes when one person claims to have THE PERFECT answer, and tries to distinguish himself from "Christianity". That is dangerous and borderline cultic.
DistantStar,

I believe that it is generally accepted that Christianity encompasses a broad set of Christian groups. But I’ll go along with your train of thought as pertains to this thread because when Brother Lee characterized poor poor Christianity I do not think he really had heretical groups in mind. However, I never considered the Episcopalians being heretical. Did you?

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote