View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #38
TLFisher

Default Compare and Contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Igzy,

Brilliant parallel!

I was once a Southern Baptist. I remember well in the “Baptist Standard,” a monthly publication, the Southern Baptists being referred to as “God’s Favorite People.” They were fairly uniform in believing that not only were the Baptists, God’s best but the Southern Baptists were the best of the Baptists. Kind of like being an FTT member of a local church. They were so proud that Billy Graham was a member of the First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas.

I almost was laughing as I read your post. Excellent observations!! I would invite a present LSM/LCer to rebut Igzy. If no one can, then the case for the LSM representing the Body of Christ and having a scriptural “Oneness” is done and over.

Hope, Don Rutledge
Just as the Recovery have much in common with the Plymouth Brethren (aka Exclusive Brethren), the Recovery also has some in common with the SBC Baptists. Some of which I am going to present a superficial comparison.
  • Baptism
    1 Baptists I met with did not emphasize baptism, but who one is baptized can only happen by immersion.
    2.Local Churches was not as strict how one is baptized, but beginning with my baptism and all the baptisms I had witnessed in the Local Churches, all were by immersion
  • One Publication
    1. Baptists use a Lifeway publication for their Lord's Day Sunday school.
    2. Local Churches uses a LSM publication for ther Lord's Day prophesying time.
  • Children's Ministry with the view of salvation
    1. Baptists have a Children's ministry with the intent of Children's salvation.
    2. Local Churches used to have a Children's ministry with the same purpose of salvation.
  • Membership
    1. Baptists make membership being a formality before becoming a member of the assembly.
    2. Local churches all that is needed for membership is regeneration; salvation by the blood of Jesus Christ.
  • Community
    1. Baptists stress serving the community
    2. Local Churches stress a ministry over locality
Personally I think it would be an easy transition for a Baptist to enter into the Recovery brand of fellowship. One of the few differences would me no visible clergy instead of a pastor.
TLFisher is offline   Reply With Quote