View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 11:13 AM   #373
Sons to Glory!

Default Re: Bible Answer Man Converts to Eastern Orthodox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
This is a quick note about the biblical meaning of "milk" and "meat", because the use of the terms by some here is not correct.

Milk means the basic elementary teachings of Christianity, first learnt by new believers. Gospel of justification, for example.

Meat means the deeper spiritual truths (more solid, complete and deeper spiritual doctrines of the Gospel). Gospel of glorification or theosis, for example, as it is the more complete gospel.

These definitions are straight from the Greek, explained here:

http://www.biblestudy.org/question/w...the-bible.html

If you are a new believer, then milk is good for you. If you are a long time believer, then you probably should not talk about "going back to milk" as it implies immaturity. The Bible encourages us to leave the elementary things and go onwards.
Okay and thanks. Yes, that would probably be the specific and correct usage of the term "milk" as it relates to real scriptural knowledge. So maybe it's just better to drop the "milk" and say "the pure word" to denote its difference from men's thoughts. (i.e., going to the pure word first rather than men's commentaries)

And, as stated earlier, we also must be careful when using the term "meat" as it pertains to the divine revelation. Because too often that can be used almost as a "I am of Christ" sort of thing, such as "We have the real meat and you don't!" In that case, all one has is dead, puffed-up knowledge - I speak from good experience, having gone after saints many times with this non-building-up-in-love, rotting knowledge "meat!"