View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #715
HERn

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Nigel's most recent paper that throws the OC under the bus was, I suppose, needed to debunk LSM's hyperbolic expansion of the OC's doctrine of theosis into something lucifer would be proud of, but I didn't like it. Using numbers and statistics can be tricky especially when considering things only from the Reformation forward. According to Christianity Today the Pentacostals in London are currently expanding the church in England while the Anglican Church is not growing. Protestants had their heyday in North America, Europe and almost the entire world. In the post-apostolic ante-Nicene period the gospel was spread by what today we would probably identify as the OC. The point is, I think, that it is our God that is coordinating the ebb and flow of His Church. Every portion of His church in every century is raised up by God so that His Christ can save men from their sins, and yes to bring them into being partakers of the divine nature (that is about as close to theosis that this Protestant is currently ready to embrace!). Is God currently saving people in the OC? I say yes. In the RCC? Yes. Even in the LSM LC God is saving some. Although I may think my narrow evangelical Protestant view of God's will is the "best", I'm good with God being sovereign and working in ways and places I don't understand. I'm throwing out the LSM arrogant attitude that it's our way or the highway.