View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 06:44 AM   #46
Ohio

Default Re: Arthur M. Casci Testimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
Lee had a whole briefcase full of bogey man to scare and intimidate us into doing things his way. "Fragrance" was one, as in "this does not have the proper fragrance." Which in reality meant it wasn't according to his taste. Others included "natural," "human wisdom," "man's work," "religion," "proper church life," "tradition," "independent," "ambition," and a slew of others. Just think of any catchphrase he threw around and you can probably recall a time he used it to prop himself up and discredit someone else.

This is how he held us in line. Whenever we did anything he didn't like or which threatened his absolute authority, he would pull out one of these bogey men and we'd all cower like puppies who peed on the parquet. We really didn't know how or why our efforts came up short, and these maladies were vague and subjective enough to make disagreeing with him a waste of time. Call it plausible deniability. But when he started calling enjoying the Psalms "natural" warning bells should have gone off.

He and only he held the key to discerning these things, or so he led us to believe. Actually he was a brilliant manipulator. The only question is whether he did it cynically or sincerely. But there is no doubt he was a manipulator. Of course, all demagogues are.

Now Lee's successors use the same catchphrases to intimidate and control the masses. Do anything they can't control and be prepared to be called "natural," "ambitious," "infragrant," yada, yada, yada.
I first came across the concept of a religious bogey man when i was researching Plymouth Brethren history. Historians mentioned the Exclusives' use of the British expression "bug bear" in the closet, using fear to control children's behavior. My eyes were opened. Immediately i saw the connection with Lee. It served to release me from some of my deap-seated fears regarding the Recovery.

Yes, Lee was a master manipulator. One could say it is a gift from God to be used either for good or for evil. All gifted evangelists have employed this talent for good. Salesmen use this for their livelihood. Over the course of time, however, Lee's power to manipulate deteriorated for his own self-serving interests. He no longer brought people to the Lord, but rather brought them to himself. The Apostle Paul warned us of such with tears. (Acts 20.30)