Thread: Lee's Trinity
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 03:46 AM   #85
Evangelical

Default Re: Lee's Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Spoken concerning his 3.5 year mission of speaking to the people of Israel. Does not say "will not leave me alone."

Even this verse is past tense. It does not prove or disprove that there ever was or was not a period or time when something might have been different. Neither does it declare that the unity of the Godhead has overcome and confused the three of the trinity.

Once again, "I am not alone," not "I will never be alone." Present tense. Not a claim of always true or will always be true. You ignore that Jesus spoke rather clearly and without question that the Father had forsaken him on the cross, therefore you have a rather clear indication that this state of being "not alone" was not at all times true.

This verse says nothing about being one or being in Christ at any time, least of all at the crucifixion.
I can easily show you are wrong by pointing to the whole of verse 29:

John 8:29 The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him."

The Father was always with Christ, never leaving Him alone, because Christ always did what pleased him.

If the Father ever left Christ alone, it would mean that Christ did something displeasing to God.

Because we know that Christ always pleased the Father (even the act of going to the cross was pleasing to the Father), we can know that the Father never left Him. The Father was on the cross with Him, and even in the tomb.

It is like Psalm 139 says:

Psalm 139:7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?

Psalm 138:8 ......... If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

Why would the Father forsake His Son during His most pleasing act?

The Father forsook Christ's humanity in the sense of removing his manifest presence and comfort. However Christ was still very much "God in the flesh".

As Matthew Poole's commentary says, - "it must be understood with respect to God’s consolatory manifestations".
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote