View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
Ohio

Default Re: You can't serve God if you aren't graduated from full-time training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Ohio,

Thanks for sharing. I’m sure that it wasn’t funny at the time but to hear you tell it now I can see it unfold ....

Under the circumstances I would have probably racked up a lot of demerits very quickly. You did not actually say what happens when you accumulate a certain number of citations. Did you know anyone where the consequences of the citations were acted upon?

Drake
Drake, I had no problem with rules, just as long as we know them ahead of time. With so many to take care of, there has to be some order, we all would agree with that.

I'm not sure what the consequences could have been. Some of the brothers wished they were "sent home early." An old friend of mine from college won the award at the end of the training for having no citations. Did we even clap for him? Not sure what his reward was.

The citations were more of a shaming technique. Before our first public get together, we received LSM ties to wear. One brother must have forgotten, or missed it somehow. Instead of pointing it out privately to him, AY shamed him publicly for what seemed to be 10 minutes. I felt bad for the dear brother. Just another military style dressdown when none was needed. It was uncalled for. He was not a "rebellious" brother. AY did it because "he could."

Paul said, "love is patient, love is kind." Real love respects other brothers. There are times when a harsh word may be needed, but this was not one of them. I have always said that when the ministry treats brothers like this, they tend to create enemies and bullies out of beloved brothers. I saw way too much of this in the Recovery, and that's why so many beloved brothers have left.

Personally, I was "all in" during those days in Taipei. A couple times I even volunteered to pull "all-nighters" to help out with cleaning and painting. I was happy to do that. I thought the ministry was something special to the Lord.