View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 05:28 AM   #16
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Re: In a process of leaving the Local Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
And you will always be a recovering Recoveryoholic.

... First rule : avoid contact with cults. You'll be weak for them.
I can offer a different perspective.

I consider that I am fully recovered from the teachings and practices I was exposed to in the LC, as well as the horrors I experienced. It's part of my past and gave me my perspective on life and my walk with the Lord. I'm grateful that He rescued me. However, I see that I ignored the warning signs, and there were signs. I confessed my own failures and poor choices in believing and following men rather than God. I now know what to do when I see or hear something that is "off."

I don't want to "go back" as a participant, but I can and do go to a meeting every so often, out of curiosity, just to see what's going on and if anything has changed. I'm unaffected by it except to confirm that leaving was the right decision. I haven't gone to a meeting in several years, though.

I'm not weak for cults. The "cult mentality" of groups is everywhere and can be seen in the media, politics, etc., so that would be hard to purposely avoid. I can recognize cult mentality when I see the warning signs, but I consider that a strength.

So, full recovery from "the recovery" is possible. It takes time getting out of the garlic room, but once you do, there is fresh air and you can never forget the smell of the garlic. You know or learn what to do when you smell it in any context, i.e., listen, smile, then turn around and RUN!

Nell

Last edited by Nell; 08-28-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote