View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
Freedom

Default Re: Music in the Christian Church

There is that well-known song, Heart of Worship, which I think encompasses the idea behind the true purpose of music in the Church - that being that it's not all about the music. As the song best puts it: "It's all about you Jesus..."

I think the problem a lot of us here face is that while we were rightly taught in the LC that music is one of the best ways to worship God, we were wrongly taught that worship must adhere to a certain format, such as the utilization no more and no less than 1348 hymns which are limited to piano and guitar accompaniment. LC leaders try to tell everyone it's not really about the music, but the minute anyone doesn't adhere to the approved material and style, they are reprimanded.

The LC is an example of an extreme when it comes to limiting what is acceptable, and there are examples of the other extreme of Christian music that isn't written with the intention to worship to God. I think the balance is found in finding what music helps us to individually worship God. Of course, in the Church, the music should be selected that is most relevant to a larger audience.

Much of the problem is rooted in the fact that people have different tastes in music. Unfortunately there has been the tendency to impose a form or style of music as the "correct" form of worship. Once that happens, people are really limited as to how they can worship God. Back in elementary school, I had a close friend who I lost contact with over the years. Eventually I come to find that he was in a Christian "death metal" band 10-15 years later. Before I found out about this, I had no idea that there was such a genre of music. I still don't see how such music could worship God, but I try to not judge (God alone can be the judge of that). For the sake of those who like that music, my hope is just that it helps them worship God. It is much better than getting into a debate about how my musical preferences are superior to his.

It's really interesting that the Bible gives us the precedent of music as a form of worshiping God. It's not like God didn't know that people will disagree on tastes in music. I don't know that he ever expected us to agree on music.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote