Thread: A Word of Love
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #98
OBW

Default Re: A Word of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
This verse is spoken to every believer. This gospel records the fact that it was spoken to the 11 disciples, but it also records the fact that these disciples were commissioned to disciple the nations, teaching them all things, and that is what Matthew is doing in the gospel. So saying that the word was spoken to the 11 is fine, but then you also have to agree that the gospel was written for every believer.
I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion. Matthew wrote it down as part of his "teaching them all things" and therefore this must be a command to us.

That is extremely weak reasoning.

Quote:
If your congregation is actively involved in discipling the nations and teaching them all things that Jesus commanded, then your congregation is actively responding to this commission.
Maybe. Depending on how you read this commission. If you understand it as an all-encompassing commission to live the gospel life in whatever way you do it, they you are correct. If you read this as directed at those who will be the ones teaching the rest of us to follow and obey, then the congregation is actually responding to a different commission.

In short, we are called to the thing that you are referring to in this portion of your post. But I'm not sure that is what Matthew 28 is talking about.
Quote:
That is the commission that is given to the church:

Ephesians 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
1:19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
1:23 Which is his body, the fullness of him that filleth all in all.
Great passage. How does it relate to the discussion? What question or issue does it address or solve? Is it that the word "calling" is in it? If so, how does this use of the word relate to Matthew 28 in terms of the content of the commission there relative to the calling here? Are we presuming that our "calling" is so narrow, or the great commission so broad that everything is generically talking about everything?

Quote:
Finally, there is a promise "Lo I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen" Yes, if you tell me that this promise is not for the average believer it diminishes the gospel of Matthew, yes it changes a lot.
I would not say anything like that. And while the two statements are placed together in one paragraph ( in Bibles that are formatted in that way), the fact that I question the broad applicability of the "great commission" that immediately preceded it does not suggest that I question the broad applicability of this statement.

Jesus can say to them that he is with them to the end of the age without it being a limited or qualified statement even if it really was spoken as literally connected to something else that I believe was a limited statement. It is not a structural or grammatical difficulty to say, write, or read something in that manner.

Quote:
Now you are the one who is asking what happens if this passage is not spoken to all believers. This is why I am astounded you would even ask such a thing. You seem to have confused Matt 28 with Acts 13:2
Why are you astounded? I've been through this before. What is so incredulous about what I am saying? You seem stuck on the idea that what Matthew 28 is about simply has to be the general "commission" to everyone to preach the gospel. I have reason to think that might not be the case. And once again, I ask for a reason that suggesting that is so incredulous. The wording does seem to suggest it. And I do not find anything except the fact that we have generally thought of this a being generally applicable. I don't find how it is simply true. So back up. Read what I write again. Now respond to what I write, not what I do not write.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote