View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #27
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: My Journey to the Local Church, and beyond...

I was troubled by this testimony. I do not have any of the details, but it seems to me that no one would counsel you to lie if this was a case of a serious felony. Second, being guilty is one thing, deciding what the proper punishment or judgement is another. I think you are in a position to help guide the judgement side as much as possible. I will share my own personal experience which may or may not be relevant, you didn't give us enough information to know.

I was called to my son's school when he was a senior in HS. He was accused of threatening a girl and the dean's made it clear that this could hold the penalty of a superintendent suspension, which in turn could threaten his scholarship which was valued at about $130,000.

Prior to going I read through the manual on how to deal with various issues among students, it is available to parents on the internet, but I am a teacher and was already familiar with it.

After the Dean's made their presentation I asked to see my son's file. This is your right accorded by the Chancellor. They responded that he didn't have a file, this was the first incident in four years. I then asked if it was common tactic at this school to make a "superintendent's suspension" the first step in disciplining a student. The manual makes it very clear that it is to be a last step. That caused them to immediately back pedal and apologize. I then asked if the girl in question had been advised of a safety transfer. (the school system transfers students who feel threatened to other schools). They were outraged over this suggestion (the girl in question was the saledictorian and graduation was in a few months, my son was the valedictorian, this was a cat fight between two prima donnas). I stood my ground, I pointed out that if anything happened they have already warned me that my son could face a suspension and that could cost me $130,000. I told them that in an event like that I would surely sue the school. My son also has the right to walk the halls and feel safe, not like he could lose $130,000 at any moment. I literally demanded that they call the parents in and advise them of the right to have their daughter get a safety transfer. This was done, and everyone agreed that it was a big deal over nothing. This girl tried to intimidate my son and was put in her place. My son was upset with me initially, but when he realized everyone is a big boy and can handle it he then came to appreciate the hard nosed approach.
ZNPaaneah is offline   Reply With Quote