View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #245
Freedom

Default Re: The Bible Answer Man Converts to The Eastern Orthodox Church!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
According to past discussions on here, I thought all the denominations were not so divided? I thought that it shouldn't matter whether he heads an evangelical organization or not? Aren't they all the one body?

At least this is what some members on here have tried to convince me about. This example shows otherwise.
Nice try, but you’re comparing apples and oranges. Groups like the EOC and RCC each lay claim to be the one true church:
Quote:
The Roman Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, the Oriental Orthodox communion and the Assyrian Church of the East each understands itself as the one and only original church.

Mainstream Protestants regard all Christians as members of the Christian Church; this belief is sometimes referred to by the theological term, "invisible church".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_true_church
Between protestant Christianity as a whole, and the groups noted above, it is impossible to achieve any type of meaningful unity. There are fundamental differences in belief. You already know this. I don’t need to list all the things that protestants reject. At a very basic level, this is one of the things that unifies protestant Christianity despite all the doctrinal disagreements. As far as I'm concerned division over doctrine is minor. Division over claims to be the one true church is major.

I’m not out to criticize the EOC or RCC, as I believe that those who are part of such groups are earnest in the pursuit of principles that they believe in. At the same time, however, those principles don’t reflect what groups like Hank’s listeners would believe in. So yet again, I pose the question - why should they be accepting of his sudden change? If he wants to be EO, then he should start a ministry defending EO views, not continue to purport to speak on behalf of a demographic that he no longer supports.
Isaiah 43:10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote