Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #19
countmeworthy

Default Re: New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindnessNotBlindness View Post
No not all atheists are loving and kind, this is true. Not all Christians are bad and not everybody in the LC are bad either.
Yes.. and there are a lot of unbelievers who are kinder and more loving than the religious nutcases and the phony 'believers'.

I will add... when I first came to the LC in 1975 as a 22 yr old, there was a lot of Love being poured out. In my 'locality' San Diego, we were mostly in our 20s and quite 'free' to just be ourselves. But it was not too much later that religion reared its' ugly head. You know what put the nail in the coffin for me was? Do you know when I knew God left the LC ? It was when we were told not to use the word Sunday. It was 'the Lord's day'. Among other things I was seeing in 1977/78, when we were told not to say Sunday, that was my exit.

And btw... LOVE had already departed years earlier. Love was replaced with 'the ministry'. For the most part I had a good experience in the church 'life' aside from my personal, emotional issues that I hid from everyone except God. But most people here on this forum really went through the ringer. Mentally and spiritually, many people were seriously damaged by the LR. So glad you came out of it pretty stable.

Just sharing some of my personal experiences and observations here...

Quote:
Before I came on this platform I was intent on pushing atheism down everybody I met throats because of how I am healing but this platform was showed me how that would be damaging (with a capital D).
I think we all do that when we come to this forum for the first time. When this forum first opened up in another board, wow.. you should have read the venting!! It knocked the wind out of you!! But I / we are glad you are here to share your experiences of why you are an atheist after having been immersed in the LR for all those years.

You and Mysteria are not the only ones that have left the LR as atheists. What's sadder still is some people and I think it has been women have committed suicide because they could not deal with being in or out of that awful religion. Marriages have been broken.. Families split apart..friendships ruined.. we have seen and heard it all. That you are at peace and functioning well is a very good thing. Believe it or not, you are giving people hope that there is normal life outside the prison doors of the LR. Of course, me being a person (woman) of Faith, my hope is they would experience God's Healing Love. I have to say that but I am not trying to push Jesus down your throat just as you are not trying to push atheism down ours.

We are merely having a discussion of our personal experiences. And you are a breath of fresh air here! You are healthy, intelligent, sensitive, kind and loving... oh and you're Black too! Oh.. and a woman! This board is sooo dominated by men! I am surprised you are still here. I suspect however your visit will be short lived. One reason is eventually you will get tired of reading the re hashed threads. 2) It's a MAN'S board primarily. 3) There is not much Love here.

Maybe that will change though. That would be good!

Quote:
I'm not looking to know "God" at all. To me he is a fantasy and don't want to be convinced otherwise. I do appreciate your experiences post LC as I can sense that you are comforted with your spirituality. Peace to you.
I don't think anyone is going to try to convince / convert you but keep in mind this is a 'Christian' forum. Almost everyone here to my knowledge not only believes in God but has a relationship with Him even though there are lots of heated discussions. I mostly stay away from them as I am soooo far removed from the LSM. Much of what is discussed I cannot relate to, especially when it comes to leaders, like Titus Chu, even Ron Kangas! I never knew or heard these guys speak. I am also not a 'churcher' and the more I read/study God's Word, the further away from 'church and churchers' I want to be. Many of my non LC Christian friends are no longer going to church either. Our conversations and discussions are now so much 'free-er'.

I have a 'love/hate' relationship with this forum. I often ask myself why I keep checking in. I have been here from the beginning and most of the time I am ignored here! Rarely does anyone comment on what I share!! It used to bother me but then I realized I don't even know these people. Our connection is we were in the LR at one time. Nothing more. I think I pop in as I am led to. But months will go by and I don't even 'check in' to see if there is anything new.

So... keep the Peace friend! And may your days always be bright even during hard times.

Carol
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote