View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #353
aron

Default Re: The Psalms are the word of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrotherinFaith View Post
In Hebrews 5:8 we see that, Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered.

In some sense, perhaps not the strictest one, but in some way Jesus as a man, as the Lamb of God needed to learn something.
I admit to being somewhat provocative on this thread, but merely to stimulate consideration, and perhaps discussion. WL allowed no consideration but his own, and if I have been too free, once rid of his blinders, in my own considerations, then I must realize and accept that.

Hebrews talks of obedience, and so does Psalms ("I come to do Thy will, O God") but strictly reading one picture in its fullest sense onto nearly every subsequent section of the scripture is hardly warranted. We could form a few new churches doing that, couldn't we?

Secondly, I admit to using WL's interpretation of the Psalms as a foil of my own readings. Even if Lee incorrectly relegated some of the scriptures to a "fallen" or "natural" status, that doesn't mean that my alternative reading is correct. So I'll own up to my own ideas, and take responsibility for them.

But I notice that Jesus was somewhat provocative, as well. Look at the rejoinder to the challenging teachers of the law. He quoted the Psalm, "I said, You are gods"... did Jesus mean that we should abandon the monotheistic model ("Hear, O Israel, the LORD your God is one God", etc)? I don't see polytheism following Jesus' quote, nor has the collective faith, in its formulations through history. In other words, reason can still our guide, not to apply a word beyond what it should mean.

Now, if Jesus said, "David, in spirit, prophesied concerning the Christ" (Luke 22:43), where did it say that David was not in spirit, but in his natural concepts? No where, that I can see. Yet that doesn't give a subsequent reader the freedom to impart their own "spiritual" analog onto every word of David's. In other words, one should be careful not to think, "David was in spirit while writing and I likewise am in spirit while interpreting." I suppose that's where the flock comes in. The ekklesia can rein in the prophet when he/she gets carried away by their own metaphors.