View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #218
awareness

Default Re: The Psalms are the word of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Actually Harold you're wrong. 2nd Timothy was written towards the very end of Paul's life and ministry, and by this time most (if not all) of his letters (epistles) were to be considered as God's Word (scripture). The Apostle Paul told the Colossians that his ministry was to "complete the Word of God" (some translations use "fulfill", and this is a very rich Greek word which I don't have time to expound upon now, but "complete" expresses the notion in English well enough) Additionally, there are strong indications that Peter considered Paul's writings as scripture. Whether or not Peter's epistles were considered as scripture during his lifetime is debatable, but one could make a strong argument that they could very well have been considered as scripture as well. By the time of 2nd Timothy there is also evidence that much of the Gospel narrative (which of course includes the teachings, speaking and prayers of the Lord Jesus) was in circulation among many of the churches, and certainly these were to be considered scripture.

The bottom line is that when Paul wrote "all scripture is God breathed" he most probably had in mind at the very least his epistles to the various churches and most probably Peter and John's epistles as well. You can throw in much of the Gospel narrative too. This is to say nothing of the fact that the learned and wise men who assembled the canon certainly considered all the approved writings as God's Word - Scripture.
Don't know your sources but, Paul died in c. 67. Gospels c. 70-90.

But you might be right. Some scholars don't accept that Paul wrote I & II Timothy and Titus ; that they were written near the end of the 1st century, by someone claiming to be Paul ... a common practice back then.