View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #134
aron

Default Re: Deceptions on Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumbaya View Post
Just feel it’s callous to be so unaware. I haven’t done much but have worked at a Christian food pantry several times-
To me, it's not about the poor, or the sick, or the imprisoned. There is a bigger, spiritual issue. We are fallen creatures. We are frightened, selfish, "me-first" creatures with unlimited desires and limited means. To give to someone who can't give back, to care for someone who can't or won't care back, to forgive someone who has done you wrong, to visit the one who can't reciprocate - all these are opportunities to "get out of yourself" and find God.

As you do to others, God will do to you. Give to others and God will give to you. Forgive others and God will forgive you. Bless others and God will bless you. Jesus taught it, and lived it out in front of Peter and the rest.

The more poor and miserable the creature, and the more unlikely any earthly reciprocal blessing to come back to you, the greater the "reward in heaven". The reward in heaven is to see the Father's face. To be called Sons of God. To be comforted, encouraged, just as you once comforted and encouraged others.

If we reduce it to a earthly quid-pro-quo and say, "Why bother" we miss the point of the whole exercise.

Jesus lived with the Father in unapproachable light, but came down and visited the lepers, the drunkards and harlots. Should we not also lower ourselves? You don't have to be "Mother Theresa" - you just have to stop thinking of YOUR enjoyment and YOUR "making it" and reach out to those around you who lack. If you care about yourself, you will give to those who can help you. You won't "waste your time" on those who can't.

Do I live this? I hope, a little. But to what degree I don't presume to say. Those who pretend this was only applicable in the era before Social Security and Welfare are just making excuses. That is what I am saying is wrong. It is not the gospel that is preached by the CoC/LC/LSM/FTT; it's rather a network-building, a social-ladder-climbing 'gospel'; it is the Way of the Gentiles, just like the Gambino family in NY and the politicians in the National Capitals and the Knights of Colombus downtown and the Delta Psi at State U. You scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours.

Jesus taught, they have their reward.