View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #214
Jo S

Default Re: Now's good - byHismercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byHismercy View Post
I really appreciate that, JoS...I am willing to look into scripture and learn about this relationship. I confess (with hands covering my face) I have never thought about this matter nor done the reading to be informed...I always just assumed Lucifer was Satan. I had what some people call a dynamic salvation....it was awesome to me, meeting Jesus...my point is, I love His word and believe it to the uttermost, every letter, but I am guilty of not being a student of the old testament. I want to become a true student of Gods word. Ok, now I expect Drake is gonna let me have it. Be nice, Drake.

Brothers, where can I begin reading on this matter?
It's true that there's nothing explicitly stated in scripture that Lucifer (or "morning star") = Satan but the concensus within Christianity is that this is the case by comparing terminology from Old Testament verses with one's in the New Testament.

The first occurence of the word Lucifer (or Hebrew "Helel") occurres in Isaiah 14:12 when speaking about the Babylonian King;

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!”

Some argue this title of "Lucifer" applies specifically to the King of Babylon while others argue that it is a parable alluding to Satan's fall since men don't fall from heaven. The argument is since the Babylonian King suffered the similar fate at Satan so Isaiah was comparing his fall from earthly power to Satan's fall from heaven using the King as metaphor by speaking "through" his circumstance to point back to Satan since he was the first power in heaven to fall from grace.

You could compare this approach to something like Matthew 16:23 when Jesus spoke through Peter to Satan and said, “Get behind me, Satan!".

Then there are verses like Luke 10:18 which point back to Isaiah 14:12 and perhaps a few more that I can't recall right this moment. but that's a good place to start. Read those passages for yourself and see what you come up with.
Jo S is offline   Reply With Quote